Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Toner going from 40% to Empty instantly

So based on your information Zed, coupled with the fact it pretty much only happens to the mpc 307 type machine. Maybe this machine either has a standard fault of toner being too dense from factory setting, the toners are being skimped on and we are getting cheated out of money (I mean they are literally 50% full from brand new) or finally the machine counts the pixels slightly wrong... although that seems a bit of a stretch.
    The problem here is that I can't go into SP mode and adjust stuff every time a new toner is put in one of these machines that would be impossible.
    This email notification thing sounds like a good idea, if I can set the toners to eg 20g and when it hits that it emails us... but then again if it is just counting pixels and it is too dense the grams would drop from 35g to 0g in an instant and i'd be stuck with the same problem just from a different source.

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

Toners are like other dry goods, packed by weight , not by volume. A new undisturbed cartridge will look rather low on content. Give it a shake and see how much the volume increases, albeit only temporarily.

The adjustments I'm suggesting you look for are a one time thing once you know what a better value(s) are. That initial adjustment will require a little empirical data, after the units are 'tuned' you should be getting more accurate toner remaining estimations. You can also just adjust the toner low (near-end) threshold to occur at a higher value so you (or your customer) are notified earlier.

Will changing the toner low threshold help me though? Because that is basically a notification to say toner low at whatever % you set but the machine will know it still has eg 35% left in it and our system is set to receieve notification at 20%. So all it would do is say 'toner low' in front of the customer for an extra long time but we still wouldn't actually be notified until it hit 20% (providing it does instead of jumping from 40% to 0%) Does that make sense?

Just a tech 250+ Posts keithxxiii's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayPaul View Post
    Will changing the toner low threshold help me though? Because that is basically a notification to say toner low at whatever % you set but the machine will know it still has eg 35% left in it and our system is set to receieve notification at 20%. So all it would do is say 'toner low' in front of the customer for an extra long time but we still wouldn't actually be notified until it hit 20% (providing it does instead of jumping from 40% to 0%) Does that make sense?
    I would suggest checking with the developer of the app as well. These applications are reading the XML file from the MIB. Maybe they have to tweak something on their machine database.
    Aye! Cut the crap