Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Technician

Re: changing the developer in Ricoh MP161

Quote Originally Posted by zed255 View Post
    Based on toner formula (160, BTW) I would use Type 28 developer. Machines that use Type 28 developer use toners with the same 'recipe code' toner in a different cartridge. I have verified this myself as I still use an MP 161 for personal use. The developer box won't hold the whole bag, so use your best judgement to not over fill it. The Type 19 developer was for toner with a higher melting point, I would not use that type.

That said, I would never bother to rebuild a PCDU that was intended to simply be replaced. Good luck.

Thank you so much for your reply. There is type 28 made in Japan. It is original package while type 19 is a copy. It is 354 grams. Thanks for replying.

Here in Egypt people are poor to buy original PCU. They use non original parts and they don't last long but they make your machine works and run. It is a personal use photocopier so it doesn't matter if the machine will work for thousands of photos. I will buy type 28 and use it. thanks for your reply. I don't use original toner. I buy and use any type of toner and all the Egyptians do the same.

Thanks

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

If you want you can use 170 grams of type 28 developer. The cleaning blade and drum is also available in generic. But be careful as there is alot of poor quality parts out there. The OEM is still the best.

Also remember that the developer drive gears might need replacement as well because they do wear out and it would be a good idea to check those while you have the unit stripped.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by KeviM View Post
    If you want you can use 170 grams of type 28 developer. The cleaning blade and drum is also available in generic. But be careful as there is alot of poor quality parts out there. The OEM is still the best.

Also remember that the developer drive gears might need replacement as well because they do wear out and it would be a good idea to check those while you have the unit stripped.

Thanks a lot Mr. KeviM. I will do what you have just said. It seems you did this kind or rebuilt to your PCU before, didn't you? Does the machine works well with you after changing the developer?

I bought a new CPU but it wasn't original. May be a high copy one. it works fine with me. I just want to do the kind of maintenance to the original PCU. I have bought a new drum as well as a new blade and a set of developer gears.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Yes I've done this rebuild numerous times. It can work well. You can get up to 60 000 copies if you rebuild it properly.

Make sure to wipe the charge roller with damp cloth and water.

Technician

EXACTLY TYPE 28