Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Ricoh Aficio MP4001/5001 Developer

I couldn't find any reliable information elsewhere, hence why I am starting this thread.

We recently bought a used Aficio MP 5001 with a little over 1 million clicks on it. The developer on it according to the maintenance counter at least, has a little over 700,000 impressions on it, more than double its expected lifespan, if what the counter says is true.

However, if I were to buy a pack of genuine developer from my local Ricoh parts dealer, it would set me back around 220 euro, which I find a bit excessive.

I've already installed a compatible OPC drum, to replace the completely worn out one that was on the machine when it first came into my hands, which improved print quality dramatically, and it cost me a little over 20 euro, instead of, again, the 250 euros that the dealer was asking for the genuine OPC drum.

Does anyone have experience with compatible developer on machines like mine? I'm pretty sure I can find a pack of compatible developer for around 50 euros, which is a lot cheaper than the genuine one. Will compatible developer be giving me more trouble than it's worth? I'll be using genuine toner only on this machine.

Thanks in advance.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Ricoh Aficio MP4001/5001 Developer

I rebuild these for a living. I rebuilt a MP5001 with 1 million on it 8 months ago and still no service call! The reason( I believe) is that I ALWAYS use OEM products.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

try eBay sometime get lucky on price. you can use generic devlp but question how long it will last and you might end up using more toner and drum and s blades might not go as long.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

If you do not want to use Genuine Ricoh your best option is to use NA Trading and Technology products. Of course theirs are just as expensive as Genuine Ricoh. If you use an other after market developer and toner you are asking for nothing but quality problems. Machine will go from appearing over toned one day to under toned the next day. To correct you will have to dump the developer, thoroughly remove all toner reside from the entire PCU, clean all filming from the development roller and check the development roller for any scratches. If scratched, you will need to replace it. Of course Ricoh no longer sells just the roller so you will have to buy a new development unit. Repeat every 10 to 20 thousand pages.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Codex's Avatar

I made a lot of this machines.... And i recommend always OEM Toner.... And Developer.... DRUM........ We had a lot of problems with this machines using not OEM consumables.....

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk
    Memento Audere Semper

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

We converted most of these machines to use the B0799640 developer (may be cheaper than the B2969640 that is used??). All we did was take the toner and toner motor from an Aficio 2045 (two screw and a small harness to get motor out from the front), and installed them into the 4001 with the B079 developer loaded in dev. unit. This combo seems to go to yield more consistently.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    We converted most of these machines to use the B0799640 developer (may be cheaper than the B2969640 that is used??). All we did was take the toner and toner motor from an Aficio 2045 (two screw and a small harness to get motor out from the front), and installed them into the 4001 with the B079 developer loaded in dev. unit. This combo seems to go to yield more consistently.
    Cool!

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

that's what good about this website people come up with work around on copier problems