Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

MP 301 toner condition

Hello all, so needing some help on this and my Ricoh is a little rusty being we sell kyocera and Xerox but we also work on everything else. the call put up was for toner add and copy quality. I installed a new pcu unit and did the procedure what the service manual said. Its loading toner fine but it just keeps adding and then basically overtones and blows toner everywhere around the pcu unit. Tried another pcu unit, OEM Toner cleaned all sensors and still doing the same thing. PCU unit is OEM also.
    your input would be appreciated as always.

Thank you

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    MP 301 toner condition

Re: MP 301 toner condition

Quote Originally Posted by craigster View Post
    Hello all, so needing some help on this and my Ricoh is a little rusty being we sell kyocera and Xerox but we also work on everything else. the call put up was for toner add and copy quality. I installed a new pcu unit and did the procedure what the service manual said. Its loading toner fine but it just keeps adding and then basically overtones and blows toner everywhere around the pcu unit. Tried another pcu unit, OEM Toner cleaned all sensors and still doing the same thing. PCU unit is OEM also.

Thank you
    how many pages on fuser/dev/itb?

what does the dev unit look like?

have all PM's and Adjustments been made and on time?

what errors are listed on ELog?

run the sensor tests .. could be the TD sensor is wacked.

print out the service sheets... Are the bias settings correct? (compare to SM and old BC)

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MP 301 toner condition

How many total prints on machine?
    If you installed a new PCDU, then I would be looking at the toner collar in the toner hopper P/N: D1273465. The mylars that move the toner get weak and bent and toner just packs up inside, and eventually is purged out of every gap it can find. Also make sure your quenching lamp above the PCDU is clean (usually gets covered in toner/dev).

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP 301 toner condition

OEM does not mean Genuine Ricoh. If it is an after market OEM PCU it might not be the correct PCU or at least have the correct toner density sensor. an incorrect TDS or improperly connected TDS will cause either under or over toning. There could also be a board problem causing the toner add motor to run continuously.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    how many pages on fuser/dev/itb?

what does the dev unit look like?

have all PM's and Adjustments been made and on time?

what errors are listed on ELog?

run the sensor tests .. could be the TD sensor is wacked.

print out the service sheets... Are the bias settings correct? (compare to SM and old BC)

MP301 pcu D1272110 is complete unit so dev unit new and it will take long time to find ITB in 301, probably bad toner supply unit.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

what were the original copies b4 changing PCU?
    IS the toner original RICOH?
    What settings did you do?
    were the copies good after new drum>
    did you inspect fuser ?

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    How many total prints on machine?
    If you installed a new PCDU, then I would be looking at the toner collar in the toner hopper P/N: D1273465. The mylars that move the toner get weak and bent and toner just packs up inside, and eventually is purged out of every gap it can find. Also make sure your quenching lamp above the PCDU is clean (usually gets covered in toner/dev).
    THIS^^^^^^

Did you replace the dev? From memory on the mp301 you have to do a dev init from service menu. Sp-3 something i think. haven't had to do one in years

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    MP 301 toner condition

Quote Originally Posted by craigster View Post

Thank you
    I've experienced this before. When installing a PCU into a machine where the Unit has failed due to chewed up gears, failed TD sensor, or whatever the case, and therefore starving the unit of toner.
    Simply replacing the unit and running dev initialization often doesn't calibrate the unit properly and the add toner condition comes back shortly after.
    So when replacing the PCU while in an "add toner" condition, first run SP2928 (toner end clear), to clear the message, and then install the new PCU and run Dev initialization (SP2801)

Quote Originally Posted by Firthy View Post
    THIS^^^^^^

Did you replace the dev? From memory on the mp301 you have to do a dev init from service menu. Sp-3 something i think. haven't had to do one in years
    New PCU D1272110 has dev in it.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by davel View Post
    New PCU D1272110 has dev in it.
    Sorry I wasn't clear enough in my question. Did you put a new dev unit in aswell as the pcu?

If you didn't I'd check the gears that sand mentioned above, I've seen some pretty chewed.