Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Air print for IOS on Ricoh MP C3502 stopped working

Hey guys, I have a customer with a MP C3502 that has been using airprint from their ios devices for quite some time. It just stopped working a while back and I am trying to help them figure out why. I did find a few firmware modules out of date when I went today (system, pdf, ncs, printer). I updated and still no luck. Well not completely. It wlll print pdf files from an application sometimes but won't print from email, safari or any native ios app. There is no Airprint tab in WIM like the newer models. The iPad and iPhone I tested with today are both running ios 13.2. I'm thinking Apple updated ios and broke the connection. Machine and ios devices are on same subnet, ios device still sees printer and goes thru the motions, just never queues job, no evidence of job in log.

I'm thinking personally the updated ios has broken the link and Ricoh has not released any kind of firmware to address (yet if ever), any other ideas? Sorry for the novel. Just trying to be thorough and thinking out loud. Only thing I have found remotely related is installing certificate? I believe IIRC the wim login just used http when I logged in. Thats the only trick I have left to try. Machine is a couple of hours away so trying to avoid unnecessary trips if I can.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Air print for IOS on Ricoh MP C3502 stopped working

are the login's up to date?

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Does the customer have any pre-iOS 13.x devices to try?

I'd almost be willing to bet your thought that the new iOS is the culprit.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zaxxon's Avatar

Bonjour or appletalk should be allowed/enabled on router.
    Please start you post with brand, model, problem.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Air print for IOS on Ricoh MP C3502 stopped working

Quote Originally Posted by skinnyb View Post
    Hey guys, I have a customer with a MP C3502 that has been using airprint from their ios devices for quite some time. It just stopped working a while back and I am trying to help them figure out why. I did find a few firmware modules out of date when I went today (system, pdf, ncs, printer). I updated and still no luck. Well not completely. It wlll print pdf files from an application sometimes but won't print from email, safari or any native ios app. There is no Airprint tab in WIM like the newer models. The iPad and iPhone I tested with today are both running ios 13.2. I'm thinking Apple updated ios and broke the connection. Machine and ios devices are on same subnet, ios device still sees printer and goes thru the motions, just never queues job, no evidence of job in log.

I'm thinking personally the updated ios has broken the link and Ricoh has not released any kind of firmware to address (yet if ever), any other ideas? Sorry for the novel. Just trying to be thorough and thinking out loud. Only thing I have found remotely related is installing certificate? I believe IIRC the wim login just used http when I logged in. Thats the only trick I have left to try. Machine is a couple of hours away so trying to avoid unnecessary trips if I can.

For a quick a simple test to rule out the copier being the issue plug the copier via LAN into another wifi router (any one will do) set the copier to DHCP next connect your tablet/smart phone to this router & see if AirPrint is working.

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Technician

Did the certificate expire? I know on the older machines we always had to create a dummy certificate on the WIM under device certificate for them to work.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zaxxon View Post
    Bonjour or appletalk should be allowed/enabled on router.
    It is. They are an entire Mac house. They have PS for their MacBooks and it frequently defaults to Bonjour. I always go back to LPD /IP address as it's faster.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by illude2 View Post
    Did the certificate expire? I know on the older machines we always had to create a dummy certificate on the WIM under device certificate for them to work.
    That is what I am thinking. I don't think it even has one. Will have it go back and check.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    For a quick a simple test to rule out the copier being the issue plug the copier via LAN into another wifi router (any one will do) set the copier to DHCP next connect your tablet/smart phone to this router & see if AirPrint is working.

I thought about that but it works from a couple of applications. Only native email app and other native apple apps don't work.. Their generic pdf reader will print.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Does the customer have any pre-iOS 13.x devices to try?

I'd almost be willing to bet your thought that the new iOS is the culprit.
    That's my logical explanation. Everybody updated as soon as it came out. I have android so I can't test personally. I looked on Apples site and the MPC3502 is no longer listed as compatible. 03 series and up.