Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FTP not working

FTP not working

Hi all, I have always been a Scan to Folder guy. Never used FTP in my life and never had to. Until now...
    I have 1 customer, their IT guys refuse scan to folder and setup all their clients with FTP instead. With a tiny bit of help from me a few months ago they setup FTP scan folder and tested it, it worked on MPC 2004.
    They never actually used it though because they also had scan to email, but now they have updated their in house software they want to use the FTP instead and suddenly it doesn't work. I don't know anything about FTP so I updated the firmware just in case which obviously made no difference. Both me and their IT guys have checked the username, password, server name and port are all correct. It can successfully do a connection test on the copier itself to the server.
    As soon as you scan though it just goes to 'standby' and does not send. They are adamant it is the Ricohs fault. I think it is something on the server blocking it. If I connect my PC to that server I can send files to it no problem, but when I setup an IMC 2500 in my office, it does the same thing as the customers machine. Connects fine but won't send.
    Is there anything on a Ricoh that could stop it from working? Everyone seems to swear by FTP that it works all the time but the one time I need it, it doesn't.
    All IP address, subnet, gateway, domain and dns are all correct also.
    Any help will be appreciated

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    FTP not working

Re: FTP not working

What about the folder itself that you are trying to scan to?
    perhaps it is no longer shared or has some other issue, try creating a new shared folder and test with that.

Some MS updates remove it from the firewall have there IT check it.

I also just setup my Office PC as FTP Server, so I have control over everything and I know every detail is correct and everything is shared fully. Same thing again, it connects ok but can't send to it. Yet I can browse to the folder/files using Firefox without any problems. Not only is it accepted in Windows firewall, I turned the whole firewall off so there is nothing preventing it.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPaul View Post
    I also just setup my Office PC as FTP Server, so I have control over everything and I know every detail is correct and everything is shared fully. Same thing again, it connects ok but can't send to it. Yet I can browse to the folder/files using Firefox without any problems. Not only is it accepted in Windows firewall, I turned the whole firewall off so there is nothing preventing it.
    Sharing is not required for it to work. What ftp program are you using? I use filezilla server as its free and easy setup

Ok so further progression now...
    I am using my PC with the IIS enabled... actually got it working. The IMC 2500 cannot scan to it, BUT I also just setup an old MPC 4501 exactly the same and it can scan to it!
    I then setup that MPC 4501 to scan to the customer I am having trouble with... it scanned to that as well.
    So between the 2 machines there must be a setting on the newer one that is stopping it, just need to figure out what?

Somebody asked if you're using Filezilla or not?
    I use it all the time and have a step by step install guide that is bullet proof.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I used IIS for FTP on my office PC and for the customer going to their server I used filezilla client to check and see if files were going through.
    What I found in the end is, from both copiers I can scan to both my FTP server and the customers server but only directly to it, if I try directing it to an actual folder it just won't send. I even made a new account and gave it every permission under the sun to a scan folder but as soon as you try scanning it it goes to 'standby' in the scan file status.
    I can't figure out why it can scan to 192.168.1.200 (for example) but if you put any path like /Scans or \Scans (tried both just in case) it cannot send.
    I can't see any setting I have missed in the 2 guides I have seen for FTP scanning now
    EDIT - I just noticed on that guide actually the path is just the name of the folder without / or \ before it... i'll try that tomorrow

We usually just run the Filezilla server on the customer pc...we don't bother with the client.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts BaconSteve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oze View Post
    Somebody asked if you're using Filezilla or not?
    I use it all the time and have a step by step install guide that is bullet proof.
    “Bullet proof”, You got moxy, kid, I like that. I may have found a chink or two in your armor though. I’ll qualify this by saying... “In my experience” (not written in stone) you must not only allow the FileZilla server, but also the interface as well. Usually, but not always, that would be enough. But I’ve had even that come back and bite me on the ass. “If you really want to be a stud...” (me quoting... me), go into the advanced firewall settings and add port 25, all comms, both inbound and outbound rules. Now you are in FTP nirvana. By the way Oze, very nice PDF guide dude, good work.