Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: MPC3002 not connecting to network

Years ago, I had an IT guy at a customer who insisted that the NIC in a Canon iR600 was bad. He told me to replace it, or take the machine back with me and cancel the contract.

It had worked perfectly for about a week after installation, then stopped replying to print jobs or ping.

Turned out this was one time that the night cleaning people were actually to blame. They had moved the machine all of about 6 inches or so, but managed to pinch the network cable under one of its casters.

Anyone who remembers that model knows it was a total tank, weighing just slightly less than a rhinoceros.

What I'm trying to say is to not overlook such simple little gremlins that tend to make life miserable.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MPC3002 not connecting to network

Oze, this is a new customer call, there is not a contract. So what other things are there that I could check?

KenB, I can't recall ever replacing a mother bd for this issue. That is why I posted my question. I don't like the shotgun approach either
    to much $$. If you have a suggestion I would like to hear it and thanks for reminding me about the gremlins. They can be sneaky.

Slimslob, thank you for your post I will check for bent pins today.

Thank you everyone for your helpful suggestion. As an indy it really helps.

DR

Senior Tech 100+ Posts CopyBats's Avatar

Does the machine pickup an ip address when you set it up to auto obtain IP address? Ensure that the RJ45 Port in the wall is active ( Connect a laptop via Ethernet cable and check the port)
    If it works, don't touch it.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Well DR is trusted and reliable tech, atleast for me. Being Indy is not the best position to talk with almighty and rep powerful, knowledgeable techs here. Still he is humble and stand tall.

DR, it's today manufacturers common practice to integrate Ethernet port within Main boards.
    I don't know Ricoh but I had to replace many Main boards due to missing network connection via embedded port. Make sure machine port is dead by connecting directly with your laptop as other members suggested. If direct connection fails read manual how to change main board.
    Wish you good luck.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Well DR is trusted and reliable tech, atleast for me. Being Indy is not the best position to talk with almighty and rep powerful, knowledgeable techs here. Still he is humble and stand tall.

DR, it's today manufacturers common practice to integrate Ethernet port within Main boards.
    I don't know Ricoh but I had to replace many Main boards due to missing network connection via embedded port. Make sure machine port is dead by connecting directly with your laptop as other members suggested. If direct connection fails read manual how to change main board.
    Wish you good luck.
    I had one Ricoh where we had to replace the BICU due to a problem with the port controller. You could ping it, print to it and connect with WIM but you could not scan to email or folder. Network interface report said could not connect, failed to open port. My boss picked up a parts machine for about half what new board would cost. Swapped boards and it worked fine. We used the parts machine in our office as a printer.

Tsbservice, thank you for that pat on the back. Next year I plan to retire around this time or earlier if possible. So I may not have
    as many questions about this stuff as I do now.
    Slimslob, I have noticed that more of the nic's are incorporated on to a control bd, probably to make it hard for people like me.

Anyway, here's what I did yesterday. I was able to get a successful ping, I plugged the network cable into my laptop and was able to get online.
    Using my flashlight I inspected for bent pins. None were bent. I did move a desk off the network cable and still got on line. I inspected the cables
    in the office and found one that appeared to be chewed through the outer insulation. I did not see that any of the small wires were broken.
    Unfortunately I did not have my cross over cable. I have never plugged into the machine with my laptop. I was always able to find the problem.
    I spoke at length with the IT tech, who I have used a number of times before. He is also a copier tech. He also has a heavy Asian accent and I am
    a little hard of hearing from my time in the service. So it was hard for me to understand everything he said. But I did understand that the PCL6 driver
    also has to reside in the machine. If I understand, the machine is having trouble accessing the driver. I do have an SD card that I believe would work.
    But again I have never had to do download anything to the machine this way. I have downloaded the video file on some BizHubs but that's about it.
    Tomorrow I will dig out my crossover cable and try connecting that way. But I have not done this before so I don't know what to expect.

I printed out the config page and the "config page/network control system 11.93.3", I assume that is a firmware number. On the last page of 4 pages
    it reads DHCPv6 server not found ERR. If some of this information would be helpful just ask. Also I did make sure that the wireless function was turned off.

It does not appear that the IP address was set to auto.

I will try and reach another IT tech that is very busy, he is a trained Ricoh tech. Usually my first choice.

That's all I have for now.

Thanks for your patience

DR

Retired 10,000+ Posts

The MP C3002 in new enough that a cross over cable is not needed. The chip set will automatic detect and switch polarity as needed. Any patch cord of appropriate length will work. I always carried a couple in the car in case of a damaged at a customer who did not have an in house IT.

Thanks slimslob, I know I have a couple of those around.

DR

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Not only will the copier auto switch to compensate for no crossover, almost any computer made during the last 10 years or so will do the same.

About the only place a copier tech will ever see a crossover cable is between an MFP and a Fiery...unless you happen to venture into a network equipment closet; lotsa higher end devices still use them to communicate with each other.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Just a tech 250+ Posts keithxxiii's Avatar

Maybe the IT guy has created a MAC Address reservation list that the device is not included to. Or the device needs to be whitelisted.
    Aye! Cut the crap