Senior Tech 100+ Posts

MP C6501 Toner from each PCU

Good morning,

I wish I had taken pictures, but I will try to be as accurate as possible. It has been almost 10 years since I worked on a Ricoh copier, but I still remember the fundamentals. Some how this service call fell to me.

The copier has a PCQ issue, streaks on both sides of the page. Ran the color test page via the SP mode, looked like the cyan PCU was the problem. Removed the cyan PCU and there was a mound of toner on the transfer belt under all the PCU'S. Removed and cleaned the belt, put it back together, and ran a test color page with the following results.

Test page 1.jpgTest page 2.jpgTest page 3.jpg

I believe that all the PCU's need to be rebuilded/replaced. I saw a maintenance kit for the PCU's offered by PRECISION ROLLER (Ricoh Aficio MP C6501SP Maintenance Kits), which looks likes it for rebuilding the PCU's. This copier has 1161460 total pages on it. I also included the SMC Report.

SMC Report.jpg

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: MP C6501 Toner from each PCU

The MP C6501 is famous for being a toner belching beast. Follow the service manual to remove the PCDU and separate the drum unit from the development unit. You will most likely find toner accumulating where is does not belong which can then fall down on the ITB and cause the problem. Ricoh issued a shit load of bulletins on this and related toner problems. A couple of them indicated the areas where you need to clean belched toner. Once you have gotten all PCDU and all PM parts replaced if needed make the adjustments in the various bulletins and in the attached document.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

To be honest with you, with this OLD machine over 1 mil, it's past time for an upgrade. These machines were horrible even when new, and had about 50 bulletins mostly dealing with image quality issues. I had only 1 C7501, and I saw it at LEAST once a week the whole time it was onsite. Turned my hair gray. i think this is the last bulletin issued for the beast.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Here is one of the bulletins showing the toner scattering. Development Unit trough area is where the toner is probably dropping from.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

SOOO thankful all of mine are gone but 1 and they rarely call. And the 6502/6503 units are handled by the production team since they do the Pro 5100/5200.

I concur with Slim's assessment. Split the cyan pcu from the dev unit and there will be a massive buildup (pile) of toner that can be vacuumed out. Then proceed to change all the pm items (I would do all 3 colors at the very least) and do all calibrations in the manual. Plan half a day and pack a lunch, lots of vacuuming, a big drop cloth too. And be sure to clean/vacuum all filters. They get clogged with all the toner floating around and start belching toner all over the wall behind the machine eventually...

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zaxxon's Avatar

And may they Rest In Peace (of shit)
    Please start you post with brand, model, problem.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

If the toner drop gets particularly bad then unfortunately you'll have to give the machine a total vac out, replace the filters, devs and then run the procedures Slim posted. Another good tip on the Venus is when you ACC it, put the ACC print to the very top left of the scanner, the raised bit nearest the ADF slit glass. This reduces the toner concentration in the dev unit and decreases the likelihood of toner scattering.

One piece of advice - if ANYTHING PCU-wise is due for PM, replace it. These machines run much happier if all their parts are in life.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.