Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: scan to a emailserver from client

Perhaps in WIM there need's to be a parameter which must be set to on?

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bbb View Post
    Why do you think i am a user?
    I'm asking for what to put in the SMTP to get it connect with a email server.
    Perhaps there are more settings to be done, i don't know.
    Anyone?
    I say this with the utmost respect.

You may not be an end user, but as a service tech working with MFPs, getting them to perform at least basic scanning, such as this, is part of your job description.

The old “I don’t know anything about this stuff” excuse won’t fly any longer. It used to, but those days are long gone.

The good news is that it’s not hard to learn; you just need to take the time to do it.

I’m not trying to be harsh, but techs who aren’t at least somewhat network savvy aren’t long for this industry.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

With what KenB has said in mind, there is a certain responsibility on the client's end for being able to provide relevant and accurate information for a tech to be able to perform the expected services.

I often find myself asking really simple things that the client or their IT can't seem to answer. Things like what is your SMTP server name, required credentials etc. I am not a detective. If I ask for a specific detail and the information is not available I clearly explain what I need to execute the requested action and leave it with the client. If a return visit is needed it becomes billable time.

Technician

I still haven't really understood if you actually got the details though? What you need is SMTP-Servername (EDIT: or IP), Encryption-Type and Port (SMTP is outgoing only), Username and Password. Also you have to make sure the network settings are correct (especially DNS) and then you need to check if there's a firewall in that network that might be preventing you from sending an email from that particular IP/device.

Sandy, it's a mpc2003. There IT'er is pissed off because customer has choosen for us, not for him (he also sels printers)
    It's always the same old song with these IT guys, isn't it
    I guess then they do know after all but are just not really cooperative to help you. But they obviously have to provide you the details.
    Without saying what I would or would not do, I have been in that same situation as their IT guy.

Perhaps in WIM there need's to be a parameter which must be set to on?
    As others kinda said it too, I would not be messing around without actually having the correct mail details and instead tell the client what you need from the IT guy. There's really no point in wasting time and then it maybe even looks like you are responsible that it doesn't work yet. You simply cannot set it up without the proper informations no matter how much you try, but if you do have it and we know at what point you are stuck I'm sure we can help.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trommel View Post
    I still haven't really understood if you actually got the details though? What you need is SMTP-Servername (EDIT: or IP), Encryption-Type and Port (SMTP is outgoing only), Username and Password. Also you have to make sure the network settings are correct (especially DNS) and then you need to check if there's a firewall in that network that might be preventing you from sending an email from that particular IP/device.

I guess then they do know after all but are just not really cooperative to help you. But they obviously have to provide you the details.
    Without saying what I would or would not do, I have been in that same situation as their IT guy.

As others kinda said it too, I would not be messing around without actually having the correct mail details and instead tell the client what you need from the IT guy. There's really no point in wasting time and then it maybe even looks like you are responsible that it doesn't work yet. You simply cannot set it up without the proper informations no matter how much you try, but if you do have it and we know at what point you are stuck I'm sure we can help.
    The biggest part of the process is knowing what information you need from IT, and to show IT that you have a good working knowledge, and are properly prepared.

None of us are psychic, so we need some definite cooperation from the customer if they want the installation to succeed.

Here’s a helpful hint: MFPs have been scanning for quite a few years now. That means there is a good chance that the new machine you are installing is replacing one. A great source of what the network information should be is contained in the old machine, which makes it a wonderful resource. Admittedly, it’s a lot easier if it’s the same brand, as you should be more familiar with it than a competing one. Regardless, it’s still a good starting point; don’t try to reinvent the proverbial wheel.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Just a tech 250+ Posts keithxxiii's Avatar

You need to know if the customer is using an exchange server or a cloud smtp.
    If cloud, yes, you need to get all the details from the IT (DNS, username and pw, port, SSL if any)
    If in-housed (exchange), you have to tell the IT to allow the IP address of the printer in their relay to send emails.
    Aye! Cut the crap

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    scan to a emailserver from client

you can't exactly configure it properly if their IT doesn't give you the SMTP gateway info. plus as others have mentioned as well, you need the dns info. and any user name/ password info. if it's their IT i would discuss the issue with the customer and make sure they understand that IT refuses to give you the info you need to get the email settings setup so the email option works. plus anything that could be blocking the emails, as someone mentioned firewalls or such. just me adding in my 2 cents worth of what i think really has already been said.... charlie mike....

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    scan to a emailserver from client

Sandy, it's a mpc2003. There IT'er is pissed off because customer has choosen for us, not for him (he also sels printers)
    It's always the same old song with these IT guys, isn't it
    You need to have a chat with the customer and let him/her know this. There are many IT services.

Quote Originally Posted by keithxxiii View Post
    You need to know if the customer is using an exchange server or a cloud smtp.
    If cloud, yes, you need to get all the details from the IT (DNS, username and pw, port, SSL if any)
    If in-housed (exchange), you have to tell the IT to allow the IP address of the printer in their relay to send emails.
    Thanks, Keith.
    It turned out to be a wrong IP address which the IT'er had given to the printer.
    It was double use; at least, that was what he said....

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    I say this with the utmost respect.

You may not be an end user, but as a service tech working with MFPs, getting them to perform at least basic scanning, such as this, is part of your job description.

The old “I don’t know anything about this stuff” excuse won’t fly any longer. It used to, but those days are long gone.

The good news is that it’s not hard to learn; you just need to take the time to do it.

I’m not trying to be harsh, but techs who aren’t at least somewhat network savvy aren’t long for this industry.
    Are you blaming me for asking a simple question on this forum?