Senior Tech 100+ Posts

MP C 5503 with false tray full message

I have an MP C 5503 with a SR 3140 finisher that occasionally tells us that the shift tray is full. This message is false, no paper present. After spending some time checking the SR 3140 sensors, motors, and such, I swapped the finisher for another one. The second SR 3140 gives the same thing. Now realizing I may not have a finisher problem, I have updated firmware for the 5503. Still get the shift tray full message. I have unplugged finisher so customer can use machine with just the minimum of frustration. Please, any help will be welcome.

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

Re: MP C 5503 with false tray full message

On the rear shift tray drive rack there is a metal bracket that interfaces with the optical sensors to tell the unit where the shit tray is, elevation wise. Add a little tape to the bottom edge such that the effective length of the flag is longer by say 6mm or 1/4". Seen this many times and the little tape trick always seems to work. I wish I had a pic to post.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zed255 View Post
    On the rear shift tray drive rack there is a metal bracket that interfaces with the optical sensors to tell the unit where the shit tray is, elevation wise. Add a little tape to the bottom edge such that the effective length of the flag is longer by say 6mm or 1/4". Seen this many times and the little tape trick always seems to work. I wish I had a pic to post.

+1 on this. Have seen it a few times. Actually, I do believe I found this little tidbit on this site years ago, and it saved me from a major headache/ unnecessary replacement . This site is the Best.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

it happens when the finisher touches a wall or other things, then the self-diagnosis remains under stress, or it has gone out of phase during the movement, there is a bracket that deforms and must be restored or replaced

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I have not seen this but I have seen ceiling lights shining down on the proof tray causing it to report as full. I would usually place my clipboard over the tray so that I could run reports.

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

Slim, I think GUIBOSS is correct on the root cause of the issue. The issue I find is once the shift tray is even out of whack just the slightest this 'tray full' problem happens. Seems no matter what you do it will never reliably function afterwards. Adding the tape or similar works well and greatly increases the tolerance for slight fitment issues of the shift tray assembly.

I have seen what you mention too, both with proof trays and size selection issues on DFs.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Sorry it has been so long since I have responded to this thread. First, thanks for the responses. Greatly appreciated. Second. Has anyone used the auxiliary tray, p/n D688 6626? Still trying to figure out the deal with this machine and finishers, it had been running fine. Just thought this additional tray might help.

Supervisor and I resolved the same finisher issue today; I was thinking of this post and took pics to share with the group. These are from a C3003, similar/same finisher. The machine would send two or three ledger pages (11x17) to the lower tray, then advise the tray was full. Only power-cycling the machine returned it to regular operations. We removed the piece mentioned above, extended it about .25" with a small piece of electrician's tape folded onto itself and reinstalled. Success!

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg IMG_0421.jpg
    We hope this helps!

IMG_0418.jpg IMG_0420.jpg IMG_0421.jpg

I responded to this thread a few days ago, but it looks like nothing materialized; let's try again, shall we? This modification resolved an issue with a C3003's finisher that would print three or four ledger (11x17) pages and then ask the user to remove the output from the full (not full) lower finisher tray.

Supervisor and I removed the metal bracket from the back of the finisher, added about .25" of electrical tape to the bottom end of the sensor, folded the tape onto itself and trimmed to fit. We reinstalled everything and the issue was resolved.

Hope this helps.