Question Ricoh IM 430F humming when paper is low and right after printing

Hello!

First time poster here! I also am not a printer technician but rather a Network Admin for a high school. We recently added in a new Ricoh IM 430F printer, and when the end users print while the paper is low (usually less than 5 pages) there is a low humming noise that sticks around for about 10 seconds, then goes away. Is this the spooler, or some mechanical piece that is adjusting due to the low paper??

I am attempting to learn printers as I go along...It is one area I'm pretty weak in when it comes to general IT, so sorry if I use any terminology or part names incorrectly!

Thanks!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh IM 430F humming when paper is low and right after printing

Re: Ricoh IM 430F humming when paper is low and right after printing

Quote Originally Posted by jbowler View Post
    Hello!
    First time poster here! I also am not a printer technician but rather a Network Admin for a high school. We recently added in a new Ricoh IM 430F printer, and when the end users print while the paper is low (usually less than 5 pages) there is a low humming noise that sticks around for about 10 seconds, then goes away. Is this the spooler, or some mechanical piece that is adjusting due to the low paper??
    I am attempting to learn printers as I go along...It is one area I'm pretty weak in when it comes to general IT, so sorry if I use any terminology or part names incorrectly!
    Thanks!
    well it would help if you mention:

what type paper?

what are the paper settings?

post a video of the sound produced and the display while it's doing it.

are you sure you removed all packing materials from the unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    well it would help if you mention:

what type paper?

what are the paper settings?

post a video of the sound produced and the display while it's doing it.

are you sure you removed all packing materials from the unit?
    It is just regular recycled paper, tray is set for 8 1/2 x 11. All packing material has been replaced and an actual Ricoh certified technician installed it. It was working perfectly up until yesterday when this noise occured. Been about 2 weeks, maybe 3 now since it was installed and running perfectly.

I tried to upload the audio file I had onto here, but wouldn't allow it. Here's the link to it. Humming from Ricoh printer.mp3 - Google Drive

It is just regular recycled paper, tray is set for 8 1/2 x 11. All packing material has been replaced and an actual Ricoh certified technician installed it. It was working perfectly up until yesterday when this noise occured. Been about 2 weeks, maybe 3 now since it was installed and running perfectly.

I tried to upload the audio file I had onto here, but wouldn't allow it. Here's the link to it. Humming from Ricoh printer.mp3 - Google Drive
    that sounds like normal operational noise

see once the motors and fans have finished their cycle ( timing cycle in service manual ) it stops... this is what we call cool down.

if it's such a big concern and a Ricoh tech installed stuff.. CALL HIM BACK OUT
    there is a warranty on parts and labor.

frankly most times I found WOMEN can just be a bunch of whiners.. kinda like our congress can be.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

installed by a certified ricoh tech.? i would call him back.... is the machine under a service contract? my guess if it has only been 3 weeks ago then it still has some warranty.

That was my suspicious was some operational noise from low paper and maybe adjusting to the second tray instead of first. And we have had the tech out already and the humming wasn't there when he arrived.

Mainly curiosity if it was due to low paper that could cause this noise.

Thanks much!

Retired 10,000+ Posts

My guess is that it is some thing in the paper drawer vibrating. Possibly the lift pan. Since it only happens when the tray is almost empty, I would say that the weight of the paper when it is not nearly empty acts as a damper to the vibration.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    My guess is that it is some thing in the paper drawer vibrating. Possibly the lift pan. Since it only happens when the tray is almost empty, I would say that the weight of the paper when it is not nearly empty acts as a damper to the vibration.
    Not knowing this unit.. is it gear or spring actuated? If spring..remove and stretch out..
    Gear? Check for gears on either tray or main body. If gear not broken try clean-lube until parts are in.. or maybe lift mtr? Ricoh is famous for faulty lift motors..
    Check in SM

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk