Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technician

Ricoh Firmware Update Discussion

Hi there,

I'm wondering how you guys proceed in general when it comes to updating the firmware of a ricoh machine that is out in the field.
    The reason I came up with this thread is because I always ask myself if there might be a better approach as I do it, because right now it's really time consuming.

- Question 1: Do you always update the firmware or just when there's a problem that can be fixed or a new function that will be added (e.g. smb)?

- Question 2: How do you prepare the files beforehand? Right now I download all the zip files from ricoh, name them accordingly, unzip and go through them and check if there's a newer firmware available. Then I check the text file that comes with it to see if there's a dependency noted, so that I do not oversee to update another firmware which is needed if I update it. Then I put it on the sd card in the romdata folder, name the folder e.g. Dxxx. With the newer machines there's a package, but I still check because a) I've heard sometimes there are older versions integrated, b) it does not contain all of the firmware as far as I know and c) because I still want to check each firmware if there's any dependency.

- Question 3: In what order do you update the firmware? Ricoh told me to do the system, then Networksupport and then Engine first and then all the other ones, each seperatly. Recently I've spend hours doing this on a 3003 machine because of the restart times of that machine and this doesn't even include the time preparing the files.

Thanks and happy updating!

Best regards,
    Trommel

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zeldaman's Avatar

Re: Ricoh Firmware Update Discussion

Hi there!
    We update the FW only when itīs necessary (our IT) tell us if and when.
    For safety reasons we make the update at the machine with the sd-card. 1. updating the package 2. checking/updating the modules (xmt the new METIS MF 3, only package)
    When updating older machines (without package) 1. Engine, 2. Sys-Copy, 3. the rest alltogether.
    Greetings...

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

jut throwing this out there. im sure yall know about the package all firmware issue? just a heads up if you didn't, though they say if it is on the site now that it works as it should. so if you have some older stuff i would trash it.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I have always updated as needed. Sometimes we run across a "mandatory" update and we try to get those the best we can.

If a machine has a package file I will run it then do the normal SD firmware update. I have had several case where the package file did not have all of the updated firmware. When doing the normal SD update I usually just highlight them all and the machine picks the order, has not failed me yet.

As for storage we have a company Dropbox account that all of our techs have access to. The firmware is already downloaded, prepared and in most cases is generally newer than what the machine has on it currently.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I have a folder on my desktop that has every model we service. In each of those "model folders" is the updated list of firmware in a "romdata" folder (I check for new updates every morning to keep all models current), or the most current package firmware or both. Same with SOP OS f/w and apps.

I usually just format an SD card, and drag-n-drop my already up-to-date romdata folder (with all modules contained) on to the card. I have NEVER used the Product Code folder i.e. SD card --> romdata --> Prod. Code --> f/w modules. I just do SD --> romdata --> f/w files. Usually Sys/copy First, THEN Engine, THEN all others (have done in the past where I've just selected all of them and let the machine decide order, didn't have an issue). I've heard people say they do Accessories f/w separate, but I've never had a problem loading them in with the other files and executing at the same time.

We use ARMS here at our store, so before we go on calls we check that, and if it says that certain f/w is out of date, we will load those up and take them.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mincopier View Post
    I have had several case where the package file did not have all of the updated firmware. When doing the normal SD update I usually just highlight them all and the machine picks the order, has not failed me yet.
    When Package firmware first came out it only included those modules that had been updated after the previous package. If you had a machine that had not been kept current with updates, you could be in trouble if a module in a package required that another module needed to be up to have been updated with a previous package. It also did not include firmware for peripheral options like finishers.

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post

We use ARMS here at our store, so before we go on calls we check that, and if it says that certain f/w is out of date, we will load those up and take them.
    Why not just use the UPDATE feature of ARMS?

We update firmware at run up and then later if there is an issue.
    Here in Australia we recently had a problem where after updating IMC machines at run up they were falling over in the field with Functional restarts.
    Turns out it was the latest firmware and the fix was to roll back 2 versions.
    So the answer is no...we tend to only update the firmware when there is an issue because sometimes even the manufacturer gets it wrong.
    If it aint broke don't fix it..!!!

I tend to update the machines as I go along, if I'm too busy then I'll skip it, but for the most part I update them. I notice that the guys that don't update them are frequently fighting problems that have already been solved with firmware.

We are using ARMS, and that makes it so much easier that you might as well do it.

The new machines going out are doing automatic updates with Automatic Remote Firmware Update.

Any machine using @remote can be easily brought up to the latest Package firmware.

To help with the MPC3003 taking a long time to update, disabling java really shortens boot times.
    Last edited by anothertech; 11-29-2019 at 03:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anothertech View Post
    Why not just use the UPDATE feature of ARMS?
    We have set up a lot of our copiers for this. Took a while to figure out all the subtle nuances (certain SP's/ customer network crap), and still on some machines it never seems to update, but for those copiers that are 50 - 80 miles away it's a nice feature when it works.