Thread: MP 301 SC 899

MP 301 SC 899

I have had multiple MP 301's ( I am an onsite tech. for a large site) email me with SC 899 within the last week. There has to my knowledge been no on site changes to the servers. They all have up to date firmware including PCL. I have temporarily removed the VM cards from them all in an effort to see if it the Java not starting up, with no change. The manual says to cycle the power, update the firmaware or replace the controller PCB. I am having a hard time believing over a dozen controller PCBs have failed a the same time. Note all of these machines are 6 years old and are all under 260K, and are all on Innovolt surge protectors. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MP 301  SC 899

Re: MP 301 SC 899

Usually a job printed from the internet. Need to find which computer is sending the offending job and remove it from the queue. Then check the driver of that computer and make sure it's PCL6. Universal drivers can be crap sometimes. The new V4 drivers are worthless.

Some machines have a custom firmware for this issue, but this model does not.

Could go into WIM and in the "Date/Time" section change smtp polling interval to "when printer is on" (have had success on some models with this for whatever reason).

There's new NCS firmware as of 11/18/19. The previous version 12.37 corrected SC899 when scanning to folder.

Have never had to replace a controller for this code.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Polarbear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Shackleton View Post
    I have had multiple MP 301's ( I am an onsite tech. for a large site) email me with SC 899 within the last week. There has to my knowledge been no on site changes to the servers. They all have up to date firmware including PCL. I have temporarily removed the VM cards from them all in an effort to see if it the Java not starting up, with no change. The manual says to cycle the power, update the firmaware or replace the controller PCB. I am having a hard time believing over a dozen controller PCBs have failed a the same time. Note all of these machines are 6 years old and are all under 260K, and are all on Innovolt surge protectors. Any help would be deeply appreciated.
    +1 on the Internet print comment.

It usually happens when the customer tries to print a web page with moving images or video. This causes the print job to fall over and the end result is 899.

You have to make sure that all these prints are removed from all print queues, otherwise the moment you restart the machine, it will received the reprint request and 899 will visit your display again!
    Press the GREEN button!!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    MP 301  SC 899

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Shackleton View Post
    I have a large site with multiple 301’s they occasionally throw sc899 power off, remove lan cable see if they come to ready? If not power off unplug HDD again see if it comes to ready?

As you’ve updated the firmware 9/10 its a failed controller.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    MP 301  SC 899

Quote Originally Posted by terramobil View Post
    It will be hard to find a HDD, at the MP 301 it is an option. I think, only 1 to 2% are equipped with it

All mine went out with the HDD option for increased scanning & to install Equitrack.

Since the poster has a VM card most likely he has a HDD & a print solution?
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Bit late on this one, but I have a ton of experience with MP301 specifically and a fair amount of experience with SC899.

First, as some have mentioned, the primary cause of a SC899 is someone printed a web page that has moving graphics on it. This extra script screws up the machine. Firmware is out there that has helped, but it isn't 100%. I have also had machines do SC899 over a corrupt PDF and also have had a couple that had bad fax boards causing it. Replacing the fax board fixed the issue in the very few cases I have run into. I have never had to replace a controller for a SC899 on a MP301 or any other Ricoh for that matter.

My usual talk track with the customer is to tell them if they want to print from the web, it isn't a issue, but they should use the "print this page" button if the web page has one. If it doesn't, they can still go to the print preview screen and then print out of print preview. This eliminates the scripting issue.

MP301's do have quite a few HDD issues if they happen to have a HDD. We use a small tool that allows us to hook up the HDD to the lap top and reformat it using the lap top. This is far more effective than trying to do the "format drive" in service tools. If you go that route, it doesn't last long at all. I have had good success with reformatting on the lap top, but it isn't 100%.