Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Replace Toner will not clear Lanier LD425c

My LD425c is stuck at a "replace toner" (black) message and I cannot get it to clear. Details:
    1. Prior toner (generic) was probably not empty when I first got the message. Replaced with genuine toner.
    2. Replaced toner worked for about 300 copies, then said replace it. I can feel the weight of toner powder sliding from end to end as I tilt the cartridge, so I know it is not empty.

I have pulled out and re-inserted toner many times.
    I can see that the black "drum" is full of toner through its inlet and outlet ports.
    The condition of waste tank unknown. I emptied it about a year ago, but did not replace it. (it is not possibly full: It took 5 years to fill first time.)

Sorry if this is a repeated topic. I don't know enough about different Lanier/Ricoh models to recognize if there was an "equivalent" model already discussed.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Re: Replace Toner will not clear Lanier LD425c

Sounds like the K toner pump has failed on this old machine. BTW, assured parts availability for this model ended over 2 years ago.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

Same as a Ricoh MP C2500. The toner attraction pump and hose likely need to be replaced for the affected colour. Once they stop working nothing I've ever seen resurrects them. Then keep it off the generic toner, you get best life out of parts with genuine toners.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S View Post
    My LD425c is stuck at a "replace toner" (black) message and I cannot get it to clear. Details:
    1. Prior toner (generic) was probably not empty when I first got the message. Replaced with genuine toner.
    2. Replaced toner worked for about 300 copies, then said replace it. I can feel the weight of toner powder sliding from end to end as I tilt the cartridge, so I know it is not empty.

I have pulled out and re-inserted toner many times.
    I can see that the black "drum" is full of toner through its inlet and outlet ports.
    The condition of waste tank unknown. I emptied it about a year ago, but did not replace it. (it is not possibly full: It took 5 years to fill first time.)

Sorry if this is a repeated topic. I don't know enough about different Lanier/Ricoh models to recognize if there was an "equivalent" model already discussed.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Remove the K toner pump, i've had some success stripping down & cleaning them with alcohol etc.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Judging by the consistency of the responses, I think I have my answer. Thanks to all for the quick response.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Judging by the consistency of the responses, I think I have my answer. Thanks to all for the quick response.
    i think i have some working pumps that i bought by accident if you want.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

[QUOTE=copier tech;1077859]Remove the K toner pump, i've had some success stripping down & cleaning them with alcohol etc.

i rebuilt about 10 of these with new rubber piece and cleaned the clutch after taking apart and had about a 65% success ratio.

Follow-up question:
    How does the printer determine/sense that it needs more toner? When I pull out the K drum, it is completely full of toner powder.
    Specifically,
    1. Could this error also be the result of some sensor malfunction, indicating that the toner cartridge is empty?
    2. Is it possible that the passageway from Toner to Drum is clogged (with "generic" toner) and blocking flow of toner?

Thanks.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Follow-up question:
    How does the printer determine/sense that it needs more toner? When I pull out the K drum, it is completely full of toner powder.
    Specifically,
    1. Could this error also be the result of some sensor malfunction, indicating that the toner cartridge is empty?
    2. Is it possible that the passageway from Toner to Drum is clogged (with "generic" toner) and blocking flow of toner?

Thanks.
    the sensor in the developer unit tells the machine it needs toner.

those sensors have been known to fail when GENERIC toner has been used..
    you need to clean out dev.. replace the TDS then put in new OEM dev powder.. run init sequence

be sure you clean out any blockage in toner supply tube.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Follow-up question:
    Specifically,

Thanks.
    By "needs more toner" do you mean that it needs to add more toner to the developer or that the toner cartridge needs to be replaced? The method for each is different. Since this thread has to do with cartridge replacement, I will cover that. There are 2 means of determining if the cartridge needs replacement. The information stored in the RFID chip on the cartridge and in memory. When toner needs to be added to the developer, the chip is read. The information updated and written back to the chip and memory. If when reading the chip it is determined that the is below a specified level a near end condition exists. If there is a misread or the value stored on the chip, a toner end is displayed. There is also a photo sensor on the back of the cartridge that senses if any toner is coming out of the cartridge.