Senior Tech 250+ Posts

SC720-41 on multiple type of finishers

Hey all,

Looking for some help with this code.

I have 3 finishers out in the field doing the same thing, a SR3170 that's on a Metis C1, a SR3230 (i think) on a Metis C2 and a SR4060 on a Martini C4

All finishers are booklet finishers but hardly get any booklet use.

On the SR3170 what would happen is it would would not stop driving the staple unit once it reached the home position sensor and would keep driving into the frame until the device would register a jam.
    So I replaced the entire staple drive section in its frame with all sensors and harnesses from one finisher to another, once swapped the working finisher would work fine and the faulty one would do the same thing or then register SC720-44 and not drive at all.
    Then I swapped the entire exit unit upper plate assembly with motors, frame, sensors and harnesses and again, the working machine would function correctly and the faulty one would be the same. Most motors in the exit and drive sections were swapped with no success, so the only thing left to do would be the drive board? Their is a larger main board which I think is fine but I just want to know if anyone has had this issue out their and how you resolved it, silly thing has me stumped for now......

Any help will be appreciated, I have checked the forum for this issue too but none seem to be specific to my issue.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Polarbear's Avatar

Re: SC720-41 on multiple type of finishers

Hi. If moving the mechanical parts don't carry over the fault tocthe working unit (that then eliminates the mechanical parts as being faulty) it seems you have a logic issue I.o.w a faulty board. Have you checked that all firmware is up to date?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Press the GREEN button!!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Should of mentioned that, firmware was the first thing I performed

Retired 10,000+ Posts

You mentioned you had the problem with three different machines. Two of them were color machines and one was B/W. Are you aware that the error listed in the service manuals are different for at least 2 of those machines.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Just a quick update, looks like this code relates to the shift tray lift motor failing.

Unsure as to why it is directing us to a staple unit error though, must have something to do with the finisher sequence on boot up???

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I don't suppose you could give us the model number of the machines, or the product code?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Most times we have fixed this with firmware on multiple models of finisher (though the codes may have been slightly different).
    Other times it was fixed with the long stapler harness being replaced (have had this on SR3160 and SR3170. P/N: D6885414)
    If neither of those fixes your issue, then I think you are on the right track with the boards. Since you have a working unit at your disposal, I would try that. Let us know what solves it!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

So another update, I replaced the shift tray lift motor on the SR3240 finisher (booklet finisher for the MPC6004ex) with no result however I did find out if you push the stapler unit in the middle of the carriage for example the device registers jam code 175, then 001 then SC720-41 but if you push the staple unit to its home position and put the staple cartridge in it the device comes to ready with no fault.
    Now I can use all functionality of the finisher (collate, shift tray, proof tray and make booklets with no issue) but if I open the finisher door and close it, it will register J175, then J001 and then SC720-41.
    So I’m going with the above and have ordered a new stapler harness and staple unit and will return.
    i will advise everyone if this fixes it

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Well peeps, I went back this morning to fit the new staple unit and stapler harness which still didn’t fix the issue. The same thing happens as above.
    What I have ordered now is the finisher main board and door switches as I’m stumped.

If anyone has any other ideas please feel free to let me know