Thread: mpc2503

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

mpc2503

I had a customer call up and say the machine had a functional problem. I asked them what the code was and they said there was no code. I had her turn it off and on and it worked again. Then they called back saying its doing the same thing. This time they read to me what it said. It was press to restart. They pressed restart and it went through its process and is working again. I am going tomorrow morning to look at it and check for any logged codes. I have never had a machine do this on its own. I caused it a few times by unplugging finishers or doc feeders while it was on. They said it just popped up not even being used the first time. But today it popped up when they sent a print job to it. I was just wondering before I go if anyone has seen this problem before since I never have. Thanks

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    mpc2503

Re: mpc2503

Machine is set to SC auto reboot in SP mode.
    Check SC history to find the SC code /cause

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    mpc2503

go with a lot of firmware as a gift from Santa Claus to update all the firmware, there are bulletins for various problems

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Went there today and got the service log. It was a 670-1. The manual just said mechanical failure. There was also a bulletin on this problem. Several things it could be. Updated firmware today. Wait and see if it pops back up. Then if it does go to the next step. Guess I will order in an eprom for the bcu just in case. It resets and works for days before it does its reset again. They can wait till after Xmas. Thanks,

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    mpc2503

Quote Originally Posted by AMS View Post
    Went there today and got the service log. It was a 670-1. The manual just said mechanical failure. There was also a bulletin on this problem. Several things it could be. Updated firmware today. Wait and see if it pops back up. Then if it does go to the next step. Guess I will order in an eprom for the bcu just in case. It resets and works for days before it does its reset again. They can wait till after Xmas. Thanks,
    More specific an Engine Start up Mechanical failure. Most likely a motor not coming up to speed. Either that or a home position sensor not being activated. Check for a bind.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Honestly I am not sure where you got the idea an eprom would fix this issue. I know Ricoh tech support is way, way, way too fast to have techs change eproms and NVRAM on boards. They are almost never the issue.

For a 670-1, I would be real suspicious of a HDD issue. Perhaps back up and reformat it and see what happens. I have had issues with the HDD's on these and they can really cause some strange errors and symptoms. They certainly can cause the machine to hang when processing or starting up.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    mpc2503

I had this exact same issue functional error on the screen press reset & the machine works it would repeat this 3 times next it would boot up saying "Insert magenta toner" but removing & reinserting the M toner machine would come to ready however if would then go back to showing functional error on a loop again.

Basically the M toner was popping out slightly thus not making good contact at the rear. There is a bulletin for this a modified spring.

There is also lots of firmware fixes for this issue the powersaving version should be v2.0 or later.

This is the spring i'm referring to.

Capture.JPG
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Could be that the rotation of a develop bias roller, pcu or F.U. is blocked by a bad bearing f.i.

mpc2503

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    I had this exact same issue functional error on the screen press reset & the machine works it would repeat this 3 times next it would boot up saying "Insert magenta toner" but removing & reinserting the M toner machine would come to ready however if would then go back to showing functional error on a loop again.

Basically the M toner was popping out slightly thus not making good contact at the rear. There is a bulletin for this a modified spring.

There is also lots of firmware fixes for this issue the powersaving version should be v2.0 or later.

This is the spring i'm referring to.

Capture.JPG
    +1 on this! Have had many machines that the toners weren't "set properly", and caused this code. It was a strange one to nail down at first.