Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Turning off Java

Turning off Java

I have been turning off java on every machine I see that's not using it, which for me is about 95% of the machines we have. I don't see why it's enabled from the factory, very few machines use it, it causes problems and slows boot time of the machine. I don't see any down side to turning it off, I say anything to help the machine run better is good with me.

Is anyone else turning it off? Thoughts?

Any other tips on making the machines run better?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Re: Turning off Java

Quote Originally Posted by anothertech View Post
    I have been turning off java on every machine I see that's not using it, which for me is about 95% of the machines we have. I don't see why it's enabled from the factory, very few machines use it, it causes problems and slows boot time of the machine. I don't see any down side to turning it off, I say anything to help the machine run better is good with me.

Is anyone else turning it off? Thoughts?

Any other tips on making the machines run better?
    I have as needed but I too dont see any accounts who even know what it is.........
    It does quicken the unit once muted.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Turning off Java

I might do this, too. What SP mode?
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    I might do this, too. What SP mode?
    I GOTTA find my notes but found this..
    I usually copy n paste info and email it myself as I cant remember things from yesterday..

The MPCxx03 series have Java installed on a flash ROM on the controller. You can use SP5-730-1 set to '0' to disable Java. The manual says input a Java license code there to enable, but I have never seen it set for anything but either a 1 or a 0. When set to 0 java definitely does not run, and yes the machine feels more responsive.

We have been doing this for the past year or so on all the 03 and up boxes. It will definitely speed up the boot time for the machine. Since we dont have any customers using Java 3rd party apps I have my techs turn it off whenever possible. We are even pulling the Java cards on all the MP 301's we are refurbishing.

Trust me, it helps the machine boot faster, User Tools access/SP modes are accessible much faster after a reboot.
    "Heavy music to the normal ear is nothing but a loud annoyance. Most people think of it as obnoxious, talentless music but to someone who really listens and is really in love with music knows how beautiful and amazing it can be" Tommy Rogers of Between The Buried and Me"

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Turning off Java

Quote Originally Posted by fshead View Post
    I GOTTA find my notes but found this..
    I usually copy n paste info and email it myself as I cant remember things from yesterday..

The MPCxx03 series have Java installed on a flash ROM on the controller. You can use SP5-730-1 set to '0' to disable Java. The manual says input a Java license code there to enable, but I have never seen it set for anything but either a 1 or a 0. When set to 0 java definitely does not run, and yes the machine feels more responsive.

On the later Metis models this SP just has an option for "20 days" does setting this to 0 still disable JAVA ?
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zaxxon's Avatar

How often does people reboot these? Can’t see this even being an issue at all, you ends up shooting your self in the foot.

If it’s not broken don’t fix it!
    Please start you post with brand, model, problem.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Turning off Java

Quote Originally Posted by Zaxxon View Post
    How often does people reboot these? Can’t see this even being an issue at all, you ends up shooting your self in the foot.

If you are having a problem with a machine and have to keep rebooting while you are working on it, it can be a real pain waiting for it to boot, particularly on MPC3003 and similar. Why not turn it off, it's not being used?

Saying "If it's not broken don't fix it" is never my approach to making the machines run. I do everything I can to make the machine run for as long as possible after I leave. This includes turning off java, I will never have a java problem. I also update the firmware, many techs are out there troubleshooting machines, wasting time and parts, when they just need to update firmware. I see this problem all of the time. It's amazing the number of techs that don't update firmware.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Turning off Java

For some, every day.

Also how often does a technician have to reboot when doing repair and preventive maintenance. Having to wait 5 to 7 minutes for JAVA to start before you can get back into SP mode is not fun.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Turning off Java

Full disclosure: I have no idea what the full purpose of Java is.
    I 'think' that it's required for some additional apps that can be installed on machines. I'm a small 1 person operation that provides MFP's with Basic Print/ scan/ fax / etc. features. I don't offer, nor can I support the "higher end stuff" and have yet to encounter a customer that required it.
    When I acquire machines for resale, I uninstall ALL of the extra stuff, due to the extended boot times and to remove the chance for 'Glitches' down the road.

On a related side note: I was recently called out by a colleague to help troubleshoot a machine that the customer reported extremely slow printing. I'm talking up to an hour for 1 page, and it didn't matter what file type. Often the pages wouldn't print at all.
    What was the solution? Disabling Java. Problem solved.
    Why? I have no idea. But everyone's happy and that's all that matters.