Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Print quality problems - Ricoh MP C4503

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    I trust you cleaned the laser with the tool (inside the from door)

White lines are usually caused by the dev unit, you get lines or background when the PCU fails.

I'd start by removing the transfer unit & all PCDUs clean inside the machine, split each PCDU & vac up any loose toner.

While you have the cyan unit split have a look at the dev coating can you see a slight deletion?

However if your PCDU has done 310k it has done well & will need replacing soon if now now.

Yes, I did clean the laser. Having 'cleaned' the cyan dev unit, the white lines briefly disappeared but then came back in a different area (but the area is not changing now).

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Print quality problems - Ricoh MP C4503

Quote Originally Posted by itassist View Post
    Yes, I did clean the laser. Having 'cleaned' the cyan dev unit, the white lines briefly disappeared but then came back in a different area (but the area is not changing now).
    replace/rebuild the C dev unit

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

What did you do regarding cleaning dev unit?
    did you dump all the developer out and pick out "chunks"?
    I stopped doing this as it is just cheaper to pour a new bag of dev in and back to normal...
    I only resorted to sieving the dev powder in the past when i did not have bags of developer..
    I now store 3 sets for each model i service...

Retired 10,000+ Posts

You have contaminated developer, most likely paper lint unless you are using aftermarket toner in which case it is the aftermarket toner.

These machines don't do individual bags of dev... are you using that from a different model or am I missing something? '03 models and so on just do dev units as far as I am aware.
    Good job trying to clean it, sounds like it's got some chunks in there, you essentially just moved them causing the lines to move, it's really difficult on this model dev unit to get rid of them altogether. That many void lines would indicate time to replace dev unit (although as mentioned if it were compatible toners causing it, the dev units could get wrecked way before their life)

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    You have contaminated developer, most likely paper lint unless you are using aftermarket toner in which case it is the aftermarket toner.
    NOT always the case
    I buy a lot of low meter lease returns and have seen OEM toners in them with clumped chunks blocking the dev brush.
    They are usually dirty and all filters clogged..Usually Ricoh sticker so I guess that dealers tech were lazy..........

As for individual bags of developer I have them ..
    If you look at the mpc2800,mpc3501,mpc3502 design the developer unit was SOLID,so I dont see a big difference in layout on the 03s so
    reusing the unit makes sense and $$$$

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

There is a bulletin for this issue, D148-003. It basically states that if the cleaning of the LD shield does not solve the problem, the issue is in the development unit. Looking at the operator side of the offending dev unit, notice the white gears. The bulletin says to rotate the gears 5 times in one direction, then rotate it five times in the other direction, then replace the dev unit if this does not work. I can say from experience that it DOES work sometimes. I definitely do this before replacing anything.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING