MP301 PCDU ISSUES

We've had a batch of D1272110 pcdu for the MP301 that,when fitted, squeal like a banshee..!!
    I stripped a faulty one apart today and found the dev bound up.
    It was pretty hard to turn by hand and, after stripping out of it's casing, you could hear a noise as you turned it by hand against the doctor blade.
    Anybody else noticed this lately?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zeldaman's Avatar

Re: MP301 PCDU ISSUES

Hi there!
    We had this issues here in germany only at the beginning. The faults were as described, no pcdu reached the target. Since the midddle of 2018 the units are better. I would say 1 of 10 units loose dev/toner but thatīs it.
    Greetings...

Currently in the Vaal Triangle area in Gauteng, South Africa

Chop locating pin on front of machine frame and use PCU1515...cheaper and usually go way over target yield. We started avoiding the 301 PCU's because of issue you mentioned and Dev gears failing prematurely when they just came out.

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

That's odd, I've found completely the opposite with the 1515 PCU on the MP301. With 400 of them to look after at one customer, we tried this for a year or so and found we were fitting 3 of the 1515 PCU's to 1 D1272110. That obviously stopped fairly sharpish!
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MP301 PCDU ISSUES

I had a D1272110 PCU fail this week, developer was locked up tight after 20,000 copies. Machine was showing SC672 and SC500.

Currently in the Vaal Triangle area in Gauteng, South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    That's odd, I've found completely the opposite with the 1515 PCU on the MP301. With 400 of them to look after at one customer, we tried this for a year or so and found we were fitting 3 of the 1515 PCU's to 1 D1272110. That obviously stopped fairly sharpish!
    That is strange. Maybe machines are running different types of jobs or PCU's come from different factories. Was getting 80k clicks and over had a few hit 120k because users couldn't care less about print quality and drums were shot but Dev units were still turning fine.

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MP301 PCDU ISSUES

Those 301 PCDU's are crap! At least the ones we have received. New machines will go roughly 20 - 30k before needing it replaced, and we normally see about the same with each replacement. A unit going over 30k has rarely happened (always getting the developer leaks/ and gears binding up and then backing up). As mentioned above though, the 1515's we receive almost Always go above yield, BUT they are not available from Ricoh anymore, and now (after a year of getting the good 1515's) we are seeing through our aftermarket distributor, boxes coming in saying "1515" on the outside, but upon opening......It's now the 301 style with a little instruction sheet that says you can fit this drum to different models (301, 816, 920, 3515). Back to units not going to yield now.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I have a ton of these machines and they are pretty much Jeckel and Hyde machines. In a low volume environment, the yields are much better and you rarely have to do anything with them. Unfortunately most of the machines are not in low volume and are busy doing 5K or more a month. In those, it doesn't matter what PCDU's you use, they never get to yield and generally fail in the 20k range. You can also forget getting yield on hot rollers as well (supposed to go 90K, lucky to get 50k). Anymore, I pretty much carry a PCDU in on just about every service call and more often than not, I wind up using it.

The two telltale signs a PCDU is failing or near failure is to pull it out and look under it. If there is a puddle of developer at the front, it is done. Also, if a customer calls in for high pitched squeaking (transfer roller needs to be cleaned and lubed) you better check the PCDU because most likely it is starting to leak.