Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: MP301 PCU's failing constantly

Quote Originally Posted by Dan G View Post
    the fix is replace them and return bad ones for warranty. Works every time
    I asked the boss why we don't just return the failed pcdu and he said it was because Ricoh cuts us a deal on the buy price to allow for failures....so it's not worth returning them...apparently

I wonder if he actually does get a discount or is it like when you go to buy a sofa or bed and they always give you 'an extra 15% discount' on top of the '50% off' they already had advertised... when in reality that sofa was never 2 grand anyway and everyone gets the same discount aka the normal selling price behind all the smoke and mirrors.
    It's pretty disgraceful that a part could be so shit for so long and nobody has done anything about it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MP301 PCU's failing constantly

Quote Originally Posted by Oze View Post
    I asked the boss why we don't just return the failed pcdu and he said it was because Ricoh cuts us a deal on the buy price to allow for failures....so it's not worth returning them...apparently
    I have heard the same from my manager. A year or two ago they dropped the price below a certain "threshold" (like $200), so even if it failed early, it didn't "cost enough" to replace with new.

Technician

What do you think about idea to rise up the Vts voltage? It will reduce the toner amount in the development, giving more space in it.... and allowing the gears in development to work more smoothly and with less load, less force....

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

OK I read everyone's input and I'm going to give my input. It's a bit different so please don't give me grief about it.

OK so this is what I do,
    1) I use a 1515 imaging unit. I've never used brand new in a MP301, always rebuilt. And I change the plastic plate on the front end (closest to the door) this allows the unit to lock into a MP301.
    2) When rebuilding I use 165-170 grams of developer type 28. This is less then the normal amount of developer in the unit which I suspect is about 200 grams. This will also help reduce breaking of the developer drive gears and reduce leaking.
    3) Always inspect the developer drive gears. They need to be in very good condition otherwise don't use.
    4) Before the rebuild take the used unit and hold it above some paper, shake it a little and tap the ends a bit. If you see it dropping developer and toner do not use. (only shake it a little)
    5) I do a full rebuild of the important parts in the imaging unit. Drum, developer and cleaning blade. Vacuum the waste out. Clean well. Wipe the charge roller clean.

P. S. My units have lasted over 40k by doing this. Just make sure you use quality parts and change the fuser roller at the same time if possible.

Once the unit is done put it in and initialize. It will produce a good print if done properly.

At this point I put the machine into fixed mode for adding toner. This way there's no background because for some strange reason the machine always seems to add a bit too much toner. Just make sure you know the type of prints your client does. Obviously you don't want your prints coming out too light or dark.

I know it's a strange unorthodox method but it seems to work. Clients don't complain and they do approximately 3000 to 6000 a month.

Hope this helps

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KeviM View Post
    OK I read everyone's input and I'm going to give my input. It's a bit different so please don't give me grief about it.

OK so this is what I do,
    1) I use a 1515 imaging unit. I've never used brand new in a MP301, always rebuilt. And I change the plastic plate on the front end (closest to the door) this allows the unit to lock into a MP301.
    2) When rebuilding I use 165-170 grams of developer type 28. This is less then the normal amount of developer in the unit which I suspect is about 200 grams. This will also help reduce breaking of the developer drive gears and reduce leaking.
    3) Always inspect the developer drive gears. They need to be in very good condition otherwise don't use.
    4) Before the rebuild take the used unit and hold it above some paper, shake it a little and tap the ends a bit. If you see it dropping developer and toner do not use. (only shake it a little)
    5) I do a full rebuild of the important parts in the imaging unit. Drum, developer and cleaning blade. Vacuum the waste out. Clean well. Wipe the charge roller clean.

P. S. My units have lasted over 40k by doing this. Just make sure you use quality parts and change the fuser roller at the same time if possible.

Once the unit is done put it in and initialize. It will produce a good print if done properly.

At this point I put the machine into fixed mode for adding toner. This way there's no background because for some strange reason the machine always seems to add a bit too much toner. Just make sure you know the type of prints your client does. Obviously you don't want your prints coming out too light or dark.

I know it's a strange unorthodox method but it seems to work. Clients don't complain and they do approximately 3000 to 6000 a month.

Hope this helps
    I know it's an old thread, but since it's been re-born, I'll go with it!
    This is great info! I've about had it with the PCU's - even the type 1515 that I've always used and previously had excellent success with are a disaster now too .
    I was so fed up, that I've actually gone down the road of installing a Generic version of the PCU, and so far I've had better luck than with the Oem's. While I've installed over a dozen in the last few months, I've not had to replace any as yet, so I can't say how long they last exactly, but I've not had any call backs.
    As for rebuilding...I appreciate the tips, and I might give that a try too.
    It's interesting that you say you're using only 165-170g of toner and have had good success, because according to the label on the bag that my supplier sells for the machine, it's 275g. That's quite a difference, but if it's working well for you, then it only makes sense that it would be much easier on the gears with so much less Dev in the unit.

1515 Dev.jpg

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    This is great info! I've about had it with the PCU's - even the type 1515 that I've always used and previously had excellent success with are a disaster now too .
    I was so fed up, that I've actually gone down the road of installing a Generic version of the PCU, and so far I've had better luck than with the Oem's. While I've installed over a dozen in the last few months, I've not had to replace any as yet, so I can't say how long they last exactly, but I've not had any call backs.
    It's interesting that you say you're using only 165-170g of toner and have had good success, because according to the label on the bag that my supplier sells for the machine, it's 275g. That's quite a difference, but if it's working well for you, then it only makes sense that it would be much easier on the gears with so much less Dev in the unit.

1515 Dev.jpg
    I on a couple of occasions, I used type28, it worked great👍

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Can I ask what your source is for the generic version of the PCU?
    I’d be interested in trying it too.
    Thanks

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Ricoh came out with a modified MP301 drum unit a while back, D1272212. Haven't had any fail yet, we'll see.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copyaction View Post
    Can I ask what your source is for the generic version of the PCU?
    I’d be interested in trying it too.
    Thanks
    Sure, it's a Genuine Supply Source (GSS) product
    Genuine Supply Source Inc. :: Home
    But, unfortunately they only distribute across Canada

Quote Originally Posted by anothertech View Post
    Ricoh came out with a modified MP301 drum unit a while back, D1272212. Haven't had any fail yet, we'll see.
    I did hear about that, but unfortunately, in my case they cost about 50% more than the type 1515 units, and 2.5 times the cost of the generic