Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MP301 PCU's failing constantly

Post MP301 PCU's failing constantly

Hi all

Just wanted to find out if anyone has had PCU's failing without reaching yield? for the past couple years now I've noticed this and we have easily replaced over 200 failed units with different issues like stripped gears but mainly background, has anyone found a fix for this? We've tried using 201 PCU's but it still does the same thing, toners are original but I have noticed that they are manufactured in France AND USA. These machines are low mileage, thanks for your assistance.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Codex's Avatar

Re: MP301 PCU's failing constantly

Hello... We have the same issue with our Mp171 and Mp201.... They don't reach the yield.... After 15k they spill out toner.... We have new units now, ricoh original.. But instead Made in France... They are Made in china....

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk
    Memento Audere Semper

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

We have been having a lot of D1272110 PCU's failing at around 20,000 copies. Quite a few are locking up with SC500 displayed. No cure in sight.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anothertech View Post
    We have been having a lot of D1272110 PCU's failing at around 20,000 copies. Quite a few are locking up with SC500 displayed. No cure in sight.

I dont see a lot of mp171 to mp301 series but my theory goes back to the type 220/type 1027 drums where the drum gets a bit weak and the machine tries to add more toner to get blacker blacks..As we all know this bad design developer has no room for extra toner so it leaks or binds up and wipes out the auger roller gears....
    When one sees a great drum/developer unit the mpc3300 and up up it makes me wonder how did i choose the b/w drum design..Maybe too much SAKE at
    lunch.............

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fshead View Post
    I dont see a lot of mp171 to mp301 series but my theory goes back to the type 220/type 1027 drums where the drum gets a bit weak and the machine tries to add more toner to get blacker blacks..As we all know this bad design developer has no room for extra toner so it leaks or binds up and wipes out the auger roller gears....
    When one sees a great drum/developer unit the mpc3300 and up up it makes me wonder how did i choose the b/w drum design..Maybe too much SAKE at
    lunch.............
    One of the things I have encountered with the Type 220 and Type 1027 drums dumping toner is that the exit hole for toner from the recycling auger becomes clogged with paper lint and dust bunnies.

With the smaller entry level machine like the 161, etc is the opening between the mixing auger and the auger below the development roller becomes clogged causing developer to stack up at the back end of the mixing auger. Most often this will strip the gear on augers to strip, the gear on the development roller to round out of the inside or occasionally stall the motor. I discovered the clog ever time I got a motor stall SC. Clear it and run developer mixing got the PCU functional. On the average these entry level PCU generally fail at about 50%.

301 PCDU's you are lucky to get 15 - 20k. We have never had a single one go to yield (even the ones shipped with machine). We would cut a pin off the frame of the 301 machine to get the 1515's to fit, and those always went to yield or above, BUT now you can't get Ricoh original 1515's, and the aftermarket ones (were good for a year or so) but now are the 301 style (but shipped in a 1515 box with a sheet that tells you they will fit multiple models).

Just a tech 250+ Posts keithxxiii's Avatar

I do yield approvals on our system...and yes, when I see a tech's request @30K, I approve it. It is a rare scenario where the yield gets close to 45K.
    Aye! Cut the crap

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    301 PCDU's you are lucky to get 15 - 20k. We have never had a single one go to yield (even the ones shipped with machine). We would cut a pin off the frame of the 301 machine to get the 1515's to fit, and those always went to yield or above, BUT now you can't get Ricoh original 1515's, and the aftermarket ones (were good for a year or so) but now are the 301 style (but shipped in a 1515 box with a sheet that tells you they will fit multiple models).
    Interesting can you provide a part number please?

I find the 301 PCDU don't hit PM life on low volume machines higher volume they do reach end of life.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    Interesting can you provide a part number please?

I find the 301 PCDU don't hit PM life on low volume machines higher volume they do reach end of life.
    The 301’s are D1272110.
    The 1515’s from Ricoh were 411844, and that’s still how we have them inventoried. The aftermarket number is 02069029 on barcode (don’t remember where we get them from). On that same tag it says 411844/D1272110. We know they are the 301 style because of the filter on top of the face plate.

EDIT: they are from NA trading
    Last edited by FrohnB; 02-02-2020 at 06:05 PM.

The most recent batch of MP301 pcdu seem to have a dev issue as well.
    The dev locks up and cause a noise in the machine.
    So..not only don't they meet their yield...if you take a replacement pcdu out there's no guarantee that THAT will work either.