Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

mp c307, won't see blk toner

Machine is practically new. First black toner bottle change, gives setting error. First thing was to try another bottle. I then ordered the board that detects the bottles are set and changed it. Still have fault. In talking to Ricoh, I mentioned that the shutter on the bottle is not being closed when I remove it. He had me replace the toner delivery system, or as he called them, the "caps" the bottle sets in. I changed all four. Shutter still does not close and fault is still on machine. I tried removing all bottles, doing an engine clear, and reinserting the bottles. Did not work. I spoke with Lee at Hytec and his last suggestion was to replace the nv ramm. Should I order one, or have I missed something simple
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: mp c307, won't see blk toner

Those freaking Tech support guys "Might be NVRAM". SMH.
    What part numbers for the 4 individual "hoppers" (I'm assuming D1963302 and 3 - D1963303's?). If these are what you replaced it won't help.

Where the toner bottles "seat into" is ONE piece that has all 4 slots for the toners D1963301 or D2963300, This is where the problem resides.
    The individual hoppers that I assume you replaced attach to this.

Check that the little white "hooks" that engage the shutter on the bottle are in the same position and have the tiny springs attached --> I'm thinking this is your issue, because the biggest symptom for this is shutter not closing when you pull bottle out. You can view them from the front of the machine. Shine a light into the toner slot and look all the way back there (may have to vacuum clean to get a good look), and you will see the little white hooks.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Yup, had this many times before and as mentioned above your toner hopper is stuffed. Sometimes you can get away with the white hooks being able to get clicked back into place with a spring hook.
    Just remove the exit tray, carefully remove the lazer unit while its still connected to the ribbon cable and shine a torch in. You will see the difference straight away if one of the white clips are bent/broken. Just compare it with the cyan one.
    Ultimately a new toner hopper and RFID will be required.
    Absolutely bitch of a job, take your time and leave yourself 4 hours to do it the first time.
    Lost count of how many of these I have done.......

Thanks for the quick replies. The part that the bottle seats into, with the white clips is what I replaces. One of the clips was broke, but with the new unit in, shutter on bottle still won't close. Since posting, I contacted Ricoh again and they said it would be the BICU, before it would be the RAMM. Shop that said it was RAMM does our board repairs and are really good. And my gut tells me it is neither of those.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    Those freaking Tech support guys "Might be NVRAM". SMH.
    What part numbers for the 4 individual "hoppers" (I'm assuming D1963302 and 3 - D1963303's?). If these are what you replaced it won't help.

Where the toner bottles "seat into" is ONE piece that has all 4 slots for the toners D1963301 or D2963300, This is where the problem resides.
    The individual hoppers that I assume you replaced attach to this.

Check that the little white "hooks" that engage the shutter on the bottle are in the same position and have the tiny springs attached --> I'm thinking this is your issue, because the biggest symptom for this is shutter not closing when you pull bottle out. You can view them from the front of the machine. Shine a light into the toner slot and look all the way back there (may have to vacuum clean to get a good look), and you will see the little white hooks.
    I agree, seen this on a 305 sounds like the 307/407 use the same hopper system.

If you look the bottle doesn't go all the way in hence the "missing toner" message.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

I will go with the expertise of people who still do this job in the field. Looks like I'll be taking her apart again in the morning for a closer look.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    I will go with the expertise of people who still do this job in the field. Looks like I'll be taking her apart again in the morning for a closer look.

If it’s still keeping the shutter open, it’s something “mechanical”, not the BICU.
    There is a bulletin for the c306 that says the toner bottle rotation gear could be out of place from the factory (might apply to c307). Easy way to check this is to try and spin the toner bottle by hand. If you can spin it counter-clockwise that gear is out of position. If that gear is in the correct position, the toner bottle will NOT rotate either way.
    Also has a bulletin for the toner bottle chips being unable to move side to side or up and down, causing toner not set message. Easy way to check is to look at the chip and rotate the bottle (out of the machine) The chip should slide side to side and up and down in its holder.

EDIT: Make double sure that the toner housing you replaced is completely “seated”, I know they’re a bitch to get in and out.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Polarbear's Avatar

+1 on the previous posts regarding the issue being mechanical.

You need to sus out why the bottle is stopping early, as the chip needs to seat on the contacts on the BRB board, else "toner not set correctly" will result.

Maybe remove the cover over the laser units, and the laser units. This should give you a good view of what is going on when the bottle goes in.
    Press the GREEN button!!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    +1 on the previous posts regarding the issue being mechanical.

You need to sus out why the bottle is stopping early, as the chip needs to seat on the contacts on the BRB board, else "toner not set correctly" will result.

Maybe remove the cover over the laser units, and the laser units. This should give you a good view of what is going on when the bottle goes in.
    This is the best way to gain access.

Both lasers out look for a white sprung loaded arm compare the position of this to the other toner check its in the same position.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts

Hope this may help really common
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com