Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Scan to folder on mac stopped working

Christ the things we have to do just to get such a basic function to work. I have used telnet before to change di print timeouts so don't mind telnet but using this mac version of it is totally new to me.
    The strange thing about this is that the customer emailed our sales person and said even after updating her mac she got her scan to folder to work by copying what I tried on the other mac. Which was changing 'everyone' back to read/write because for some reason it had set itself to read only.
    So now I am wondering if 2 macs are up to date, both scan folders setup identically by myself... why does 1 work and the other doesn't??
    Now I can't tell them oh by the way the new update stops smb scanning because 1 of them randomly still works. They will just say well this 1 works so why not the other and I will have no answer to that. I've got a feeling I'm going to have to go there to sort this and this is the sort of problem we are supposed to charge customers for. Joy.
    Thanks for the info so far everyone, I'm not sure which route i'll go down yet

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I have seen this exact same thing happen with windows. One works and the other does not.

Yeh windows is weird because I guess everyone has different settings for when updates happen and some people never turn their PC off where as some restart it every day. So how peoples scanning stops working is really sporadic but at least I can always get a windows PC scanning again because of experience. Mac I have such little experience and I'm not afraid to tell my customers that either because lets face it hardly anyone uses mac in comparison (at least for my customer base anyway)

There seems to be a lot of talk online about this new update and a very simple solution is just to go into file sharing, turn it off. Close the dialogue box, go back into sharing and turn file sharing back on again. Another guy brought a macbook pro in to my office this morning and we got it scanning. Oddly we can only get it to scan via ip address and not computer name though. We know the computer name was correct because you can browse to it with a run command on my PC. Not a big deal as customer is on static IP but still it's something I'd like to understand.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Scan to folder on mac stopped working

Ever since Apple and Samba parted ways back on OS X 10.6, the only consistent way I've seen to do scan to folder on a Mac is FTP.

Just to add to this, I have now remoted into both macs on that site. They are setup identically, both on the latest 10.15.3 (I think that was the version). Tried setting the folder back up again, tried it with a different name, unshared and reshared etc
    If they both didn't work then I could start to suggest scan to usb or get a nas drive or something but the fact 1 works normally and the other doesn't pretty much ruins that.
    I also can't have a folder setup somewhere and shared to the mac that doesn't work because they don't want any scan folder near another because of confidentiality.
    I'm not that comfortable doing all that sudo text on the mac so would really rather not go down that route.
    Then as for telnet, I guess I don't have to change anything that way because the copier can already scan to several windows pc's and a mac so it must have the correct settings?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JayPaul View Post
    Just to add to this, I have now remoted into both macs on that site. They are setup identically, both on the latest 10.15.3 (I think that was the version). Tried setting the folder back up again, tried it with a different name, unshared and reshared etc
    If they both didn't work then I could start to suggest scan to usb or get a nas drive or something but the fact 1 works normally and the other doesn't pretty much ruins that.
    I also can't have a folder setup somewhere and shared to the mac that doesn't work because they don't want any scan folder near another because of confidentiality.
    I'm not that comfortable doing all that sudo text on the mac so would really rather not go down that route.
    Then as for telnet, I guess I don't have to change anything that way because the copier can already scan to several windows pc's and a mac so it must have the correct settings?

Hi JayPaul, I believe your problem has to do with "Packet Signing" being active on one MAC and off on the one that works. Running a MAC command line is as easy as a PC. At the desktop on the MAC press the "command,shift, A"keys at the same time. That will bring up the App folder. Scroll down to the "Utilities" folder and double click the "Terminal" app in that folder. When you paste this line cat /etc/nsmb.conf and hit the return key you should get a reply of this
    signing_required=no

IF it =yes then packet signing is turned on. You can always reverse this by changing "signing_required=no" to "yes"

If packet signing is turned on you will need to turn it off for SMB from the copier to work. At the same window just copy\paste the below command line and then the return key.

sudo -s
    echo "[default]" >> /etc/nsmb.conf
    echo "signing_required=no" >> /etc/nsmb.conf

Type in " logout " and you will get a save "yes or no" Type in yes and exit out. Reboot the MAC and go back to the terminal app and paste in cat /etc/nsmb.conf to confirm that packet signing is now off. Now run your test for scan to folder.

Good luck

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I ran into this issue again yesterday and went back to my notes. To confirm if packet signing is on or off the command line should start with sudo -s cat /etc/nsmb.conf

Sorry if you ran my last post and received "no such file or directory" message

The correct command line to turn off packet signing

sudo -s
    echo "[default]" >> /etc/nsmb.conf
    echo "signing_required=no"

I will try that at some point. I'm kind of dragging my heels a bit with them because the sales person is very friendly with this customer and ages ago it started out as 'can you just help this customer with some networking stuff, no charge for it, just as a favour' and that customer has phoned me so many times with requests for stuff their IT should be doing.
    My hope is that because it is taking me ages to do this they will be less keen to phone me again in the future with annoying requests.
    You seem to know a lot more about this than I do so I have faith typing in the commands you have written will fix this issue for me.
    I will come back to this once I have tried it and let you know of my success (or failure)

PHD in Sh!t Disturbing 250+ Posts Shadow's Avatar

With the security changes made to Windows 10 in the last couple years, scan to folder was not a priority in passing along the information to manufacturers.
    I have had techs call me about SMB working on one PC, and not working on another one in the same office. After many questions and having them check the versions, one was Pro and the other was Home.
    At the time Pro worked with SMB and Home did not, after some emails to Microsoft (bata tester) a new update enabled the SMB features for Home Edition.
    Information that would have been more relevant had it been released to the manufacturers of of Multi-Function Devices.
    I came about the Mac OS information with regard to the SMB issue after a customer called stating that the scanning no longer worked after they updated the Mac computers.
    I updated and tested with my own Mac and it no longer worked as well. I started digging in deeper to the changes abd updates to the New OS and found that one of the first things done was to disable the SMB function. The biggest reason for disabling SMB1, for either operating system was the Crypto Viruses. These Viruses were using a loophole in SMB 1 to enter and attack the computers operating system and Encrypt Files.
    By enabling SMB1 on a Windows 10 computer, and enabling SMB on a Mac computer, you are in fact Eliminating Security Protocols set in place by the software manufacturer. This is a risky venture that I would not recommend to any one, unless you have a Signed Agreement with your customer. Should they become infected with any type of virus and its shown to have entered due to a Security Protocol having been disabled, you could be held liable for any damages should the customer press the issue.
    $hit Happens - Deal with it and move on.........................................................................Lock & Load