Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scan to folder on mac stopped working

Hi all, I have a customer who only had Ricoh MPC 307 installed 7-8 months ago with up to date firmware at that time. They moved about 1 month ago and I went there and setup scan folders for everyone. Most have windows but 2 have macs. The other day they said 1 person had an update on their mac and afterwards they coulnd't scan to folder anymore, the other did not do the update but the next day or so their scan folder also stopped working anyway. I spoke to them over the phone and everything is still shared to everyone with read/write access, file sharing turned on smb file sharing is ticked. The path and auth info is still also correct. Could this be fixed by firmware?
    Keep in mind firmware is only 8 months old max... and the windows PC's can all still scan to folder ok. I think both of them have very up to date version of iOS, not sure what it is called though.
    Or am I missing something on a mac that may have changed? I literally spend about 10 minutes on a mac a year because so little of my customers have them so my experience is minimal.
    Maybe this has also happened to one of your customers recently and you changed something on their mac to allow scanning again... I hope!
    Thanks

PHD in Sh!t Disturbing 250+ Posts Shadow's Avatar

Re: Scan to folder on mac stopped working

In the most recent update of the Mac os 10.15, they have eliminated the Scan to SMB function.
    I have some clients with the same issue, and this is causing problems.
    As a work around each Mac user has a USB stick and the machine is set to scan to usb.
    To date these client's like this option as they find it more secure and there is no guessing if the document made it or not.
    Talk to your client and see if they are open to the possibility of scanning to the usb.
    $hit Happens - Deal with it and move on.........................................................................Lock & Load

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    In the most recent update of the Mac os 10.15, they have eliminated the Scan to SMB function.
    I have some clients with the same issue, and this is causing problems.
    As a work around each Mac user has a USB stick and the machine is set to scan to usb.
    To date these client's like this option as they find it more secure and there is no guessing if the document made it or not.
    Talk to your client and see if they are open to the possibility of scanning to the usb.
    I showed a customer yesterday how to do this. She was happy and did not even want me to attempt to get her SMB scanning working again. Works good for me, now I don't have to deal with glitchy never-ending SMB scan issues at that account.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

That's a pretty big deal if all mac users who do that update lose the ability to scan to folder! Imagine if Microsoft suddenly decided to stop all SMB dead, I'd have about 300 people calling me up the next day.
    Is there any documentation on this? So when I inevitably get asked why the Ricoh is crap I can show them and say actually the Ricoh is perfectly fine but this is why it doesn't work...
    Had another customer phone up for the exact same thing after I sent that message as well, for a machine that was only installed 3 months ago.
    EDIT - Man you guys are lucky... I can aldready see the conversation being close to 'So this is how you scan to usb...'
    'I dont want to do that every time, im scanning all day. Make it work. Do I need to speak to your managing director?'

Retired 10,000+ Posts

You might want to research SAMBA for OS X or SMBup.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Codex's Avatar

We had the same problem in an 10 win machines and 2 macs environment..... The windows machines are turned on the whole day..... So we set up a shared folder on a windows computer.... Set up scan2folder and point with the two macs on the shared folder on the windows machine..... Thats it!..... Happy customers

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk
    Memento Audere Semper

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

I have also directed customers to purchase a simple NAS drive and scan to that. Most of those are Linux based and work just fine for scan to folder from legacy machines.

Create a folder structure for the users and map a network drive on the computer to that users folder on the NAS.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zed255 View Post
    I have also directed customers to purchase a simple NAS drive and scan to that. Most of those are Linux based and work just fine for scan to folder from legacy machines.

Create a folder structure for the users and map a network drive on the computer to that users folder on the NAS.
    Tell them to make sure that the model they get supports SMB from multi-function devices. Some of the lower priced ones only support files transferred from a PC, Linux/Unix or MAC using their propriety software.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Just a FYI. Saw this problem on CTN and confirmed it by updating my MAC to this update. Using a C306 for testing I was able to get it scanning with SMB. Played around with SMB setting in telnet and ran some commands as per a Apple post.It looks like "packet signing"was turned back on after the update. Below is a post by someone who was able to reconnect to a SMB share. I turned off "packet signing" last and then was able to scan back to my SMB folder.

Just keep in-mind that packet signing is a security setting and by turning it off will make the MAC less secure. I would run that by any customer before making any changes.

Don't forget the reboots or you will chasing your tail.

10.14.3 - SMB3 Performance Issues - Force SMB2
    SMB3 performance in 10.14.3 has been impacted by an update to the protocol in this release. I've noticed that my SMB share access times/transfer speeds severely impacted all network activity on my MacBook Pro (2018).
    After much tinkering, the below steps resolved the issue. If you access SMB shares, this may affect you. Here's what I did:

Disconnect from all SMB shares before continuing!
    Using Terminal, Create /etc/nsmb.conf
    sudo vi /etc/nsmb.conf
    Force SMB2 and disable packet signing
    [default]
    signing_required=no
    protocol_vers_map=2
    Using Terminal, Skip Reading .DS_Store Files from SMB (from Apple Support)
    source => Adjust SMB browsing behavior in macOS High Sierra 10.13 and later - Apple Support
    defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores -bool TRUE
    Reboot and reconnect to SMB. Gigabit (or higher) speeds from SMB shares should now resume!
    EDIT: corrected this is SMB, not samba.

I turned off "packet signing"using this command:

If your macOS computer doesn’t have an /etc/nsmb.conf file
    Open Terminal.
    Use these commands to create an /etc/nsmb.conf file that has a signing_required value that’s set to “no”:

sudo -s
    echo "[default]" >> /etc/nsmb.conf
    echo "signing_required=no" >> /etc/nsmb.conf
    exit
    Disconnect and then reconnect any mounted SMB shares to make the changes take effect.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Just did some testing myself as I do have a new customer that I did setup 3 MAC's for SMB scanning from a Konica Minolta C300i. They have yet to call complaining about not being able to scan.

As for my testing.
    Savin 816/Ricoh 161 with most recent firmware

The machine did scan to the MAC without a problem.

Now as for the nsmb.conf file, unless it has info specific to the machine would it be easier to just copy a ready made file to the "etc" folder whenever needed?

In the past on this MFP I have used TELNET to change the machine to use Port 445 instead of 139 and set the NTLM level to 1 for SMB V2 use. The directions for Savin/Ricoh is below. Similar commands may work on other machines.

msh> smb client auth
    -Displays the current setting
    msh> smb client auth 1
    -Enables NTLMv2
    msh> logout
    -Saves data
    Setting value Result
    0 (default) SMB client uses NTLM/LM authentication.
    1 SMB client uses NTLMv2/NTLM/LM authentication.
    Authentication level setting: The device will use only one protocol with the priority that is the highest among the available protocols. The priorities are listed in the table below. The device cannot switch between them automatically.
    Priority Authentication
    Level 0 (default) Level 1
    High
    |
    Low
    NTLMv1 NTLMv2
    LAN Manager NTLMv1
    Plain Text LAN Manager
    N/A Plain Text
    The SMB port can be changed via Telnet:
    msh> smb client port
    -Displays the current setting