Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Aficio MP5001 No feed jam

Re: Aficio MP5001 No feed jam

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Hi orestesp, I remember you posted recently in KM section with good success and support.
    Every brand is different but...cleaning rollers help with some limitations. Sometimes you just need to replace one ways clean them scrub shafts or even feed clutches are sleeping. Look at the way tyres are driven swap parts if possible with other trays.
    Just my 2 cents.
    I was going to get yo the 1ways n shafts.. wanted to see what you n slim mentioned 1st. I concur with both.
    I looked at his profile.. not a tech but emd user..
    Y'all have fun.. I'm done.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

worker drone 250+ Posts

I assumed that you were a tech and had some experience servicing this copier. I am hesitant to give too much information as I can potentially cause you more harm than good if you start tearing your machine apart. The one way bearings require removing the complete paper feed assembly for each tray causing problems. (I would stick to tray one as the 2nd tray is harder to get access to) The design of a one way bearing is to lock and drive in one direction but freewheel to make for easy jam removal or when the paper is "handed off" to the next set of rollers. They do not sell them by themselves. They will be with the gear or lever they are pressed into. Clean them with alcohol, clean and lightly buff the shaft that goes through them with fine emery paper, and put a drop of oil in them. They need some lubricant to make the needle bearings travel freely and lock to the shaft. Again, this is a better project for a tech that has experience with this model. As for life expectancy, that is hard to say. Yours has had a long full life and probably "wants to go into the light". It is like trying to predict when a lightbulb will fail. A prediction like that is better left to the professional psychics. Good luck either way.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Coptech View Post
    I assumed that you were a tech and had some experience servicing this copier. I am hesitant to give too much information as I can potentially cause you more harm than good if you start tearing your machine apart. The one way bearings require removing the complete paper feed assembly for each tray causing problems. (I would stick to tray one as the 2nd tray is harder to get access to) The design of a one way bearing is to lock and drive in one direction but freewheel to make for easy jam removal or when the paper is "handed off" to the next set of rollers. They do not sell them by themselves. They will be with the gear or lever they are pressed into. Clean them with alcohol, clean and lightly buff the shaft that goes through them with fine emery paper, and put a drop of oil in them. They need some lubricant to make the needle bearings travel freely and lock to the shaft. Again, this is a better project for a tech that has experience with this model. As for life expectancy, that is hard to say. Yours has had a long full life and probably "wants to go into the light". It is like trying to predict when a lightbulb will fail. A prediction like that is better left to the professional psychics. Good luck either way.
    You're thinking of the 60-90ppm Martini models and then only to replace the one-way gears on the back end. Feed replacement on the 4001/5001 is the same as on all 40/50 and older 35/45 models.

worker drone 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    You're thinking of the 60-90ppm Martini models and then only to replace the one-way gears on the back end. Feed replacement on the 4001/5001 is the same as on all 40/50 and older 35/45 models.
    A one way in the lever that rotates the reverse roller, One in the sep roller gear behind the torque limiter, and one in the black gear also on the drive. Feed assembly has two screws towards the front side of machine, connector or two at the rear, and it rocks forward and out.

You are right, I am getting old and memory not like it used to be but fairly sure I am picturing the correct feed assembly in my mind. Still, not a good job for an amateur. Hence the warning and disclosure. Thanks for keeping me on my toes though.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

and it's a line drive to the right outfield...

Like Coptec said.. buff shafts to slightly roughen the the surface.

on 1ways after cleaning *as described above* put 1 drop of light oil ( I use TriFlow it has Teflon particles infused ) then place on shaft TIP and turn it slightly to move the oil into the inner hub of the pins. *the pins will stay lubed longer due to that and the Teflon*

the reason I say spin on tip of shaft... you don't want excess oil in that area due to sticky residue after the oil dries due to heat.

you can find in most hardware/home improvement/auto parts if you have a walmart they carry it

Amazon.com : SUPERIOR LUBE TRI-FLOW 6oz DRIP BOTTLE : Bike Oils : Sports & Outdoors

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Hi orestesp, I remember you posted recently in KM section with good success and support.
    Every brand is different but...cleaning rollers help with some limitations. Sometimes you just need to replace one ways clean them scrub shafts or even feed clutches are sleeping. Look at the way tyres are driven swap parts if possible with other trays.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Hi tsbservice,

I knew before making this thread that the rollers were most likely the culprit, but after doing some reading on the forum on Ricoh MFPs on no feed jams, there was sometimes more to it than just the rollers, so I made this thread to confirm if the rollers were to blame, or if apart from them, there was something else also contributing to my problem, and as it turns out there most likely is, thanks to the people who pointed it out.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The 3 rollers are the pickup roller, the feed roller and the feed roller. The feed roller has a one-way bearing in it that allows it to turn free on the shaft in the feed direction after the clutch turns off.

On the feed roller for the bypass and the LCT the bearing turns the opposite direction.
    Thank you slimslob, I will look into it once I have the time and report back with my results once I get my hands on a new set of rollers.

I have taken apart the paper feed tray to replace the paper end feeler that was broken when the machine came into my hands, I think with what info you gave to me I should be able to locate the bearing in question. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    I was going to get yo the 1ways n shafts.. wanted to see what you n slim mentioned 1st. I concur with both.
    I looked at his profile.. not a tech but emd user..
    Y'all have fun.. I'm done.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Our business runs on a tight budget and we can't afford service calls every time a problem arises.

I have purchased or downloaded the manuals needed to repair our machines, and whenever a problem arises with one of our machines I scrape together everything I can from the manuals and try to fix the problem to the best of my abilities, while taking care not to damage the machine, and whenever I am feeling unsure about something, I come here to ask for help for something that I can't figure out myself, since I lack the experience.

I greatly appreciate the help given to me from this forum, and I try to contribute a small amount each time this place makes my life easier, and I always make sure to thank the people who helped me out.

We are also trying to make a living, and trust me, if our budget allowed it, I would much rather pay a tech to do this job instead of me writing all of these forum posts and searching through hundreds of pages worth of photocopier manuals.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Great responses dude, anyone can't pretend you're not a tech as you covered most of the basics plus you show us mutual respect. I myself will keep support you anytime you need.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by orestesp View Post
    Greetings,

We have a Aficio MP5001 with approximately ~1,200,000 clicks on it. It was bought used, and basically every consumable (e.g. OPC drum, charging roller, etc) was, assuming from how bad the prints were coming out, completely worn out. I replaced everything apart from the developer (used a different PCDU whose developer was slightly used) and the heat roller and thermistors and had decent print quality ever since. I also gave the conveyance and paper feed rollers a good cleaning with a paper towel and some WD-40, while the rest of the copier was cleaned from toner and paper dust with a paper towel and IPA.

We load A4 80gsm paper on Tray 1 and Tray 2, and A3 80gsm paper on Trays 3 & 4.

The story starts with Tray 1. It would no-feed jam every 20-30 sheets or so. After some time, it would refuse to feed paper from Tray 1, and I thought, fair enough, it must have been the one tray that saw the most use during its lifetime, so I assumed the paper feed rollers (pick-up, feed and separation) must be worn out and need to be replaced.

I didn't give it much thought at that time, because my hands were full and we had 3 more trays that were working just fine. The machine thinks that the jam occurs at the door on the bottom left of the machine (I am more familiar with KM machines, and KM calls it "vertical conveyance unit") while in reality, the paper never really leaves the tray. It will either not get picked up by the pick-up roller, or it will be picked up, but it won't make it to the vertical conveyance unit.

Same thing started to occur with Tray 3. The paper will either barely make it through the paper feed unit or will not be picked up at all, and then the machine will jam with J005.

I then placed my poor phone inside Tray 3 and captured a video of what's going. The pick up roller would spin but fail to grab onto the paper and push it far enough so the feed roller would do the rest (see: MP5001 - Album on Imgur).

After taking a look at the PM tables in the service manual, I was surprised to see that that there is no mention of ever needing to replace the paper feed rollers - it only recommends cleaning them every now and then. Am I missing something here?

Currently, only Tray 2 works reliably, but only with trash-quality A4 80gsm paper - after loading some good quality A4 80gsm it would fail to feed every other sheet or so. Paper setting for all trays is set to "Plain".

Is there anything else I can do apart from replacing the pick-up, feed and separation rollers for each malfunctioning tray?

Thanks in advance.
    I always replace the rollers first, if you don't want to spend money, you can try switching rollers with the ones from other paper feed unit that doesn't jam.
    Other issue that usually causes jam is the plastic that secures the rollers, I use to add a spacer to make it tighter, because sometimes it gets out of position.
    Other possible cause could be the black plastic guide of the vertical conveyance, sometimes the fixing little "legs" gets broken and that minimum misposition causes jam.
    Good Luck!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Paper at paper cassete doesn't reach the proper high so pick up roller be able to pull it
    Cause, sensor that detects where to stop lift the paper , paper motor (or more likely if this model uses spreags (i don't remeber with this machine) that lift it need to be replaced )
    Also paper plate doesn't reach the proper height because .the part that turns and lifts the paper plate is broken. Remove cassete and check it well because it can be broken and a part is fallen or just has a crack which is difficult to be seen.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gab View Post
    Paper at paper cassete doesn't reach the proper high so pick up roller be able to pull it
    Cause, sensor that detects where to stop lift the paper , paper motor (or more likely if this model uses spreags (i don't remeber with this machine) that lift it need to be replaced )
    Also paper plate doesn't reach the proper height because .the part that turns and lifts the paper plate is broken. Remove cassete and check it well because it can be broken and a part is fallen or just has a crack which is difficult to be seen.
    Failure to lift properly will generate a SC50X where X is the paper tray number.