Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Aficio MP5001 No feed jam

Angry Aficio MP5001 No feed jam

Greetings,

We have a Aficio MP5001 with approximately ~1,200,000 clicks on it. It was bought used, and basically every consumable (e.g. OPC drum, charging roller, etc) was, assuming from how bad the prints were coming out, completely worn out. I replaced everything apart from the developer (used a different PCDU whose developer was slightly used) and the heat roller and thermistors and had decent print quality ever since. I also gave the conveyance and paper feed rollers a good cleaning with a paper towel and some WD-40, while the rest of the copier was cleaned from toner and paper dust with a paper towel and IPA.

We load A4 80gsm paper on Tray 1 and Tray 2, and A3 80gsm paper on Trays 3 & 4.

The story starts with Tray 1. It would no-feed jam every 20-30 sheets or so. After some time, it would refuse to feed paper from Tray 1, and I thought, fair enough, it must have been the one tray that saw the most use during its lifetime, so I assumed the paper feed rollers (pick-up, feed and separation) must be worn out and need to be replaced.

I didn't give it much thought at that time, because my hands were full and we had 3 more trays that were working just fine. The machine thinks that the jam occurs at the door on the bottom left of the machine (I am more familiar with KM machines, and KM calls it "vertical conveyance unit") while in reality, the paper never really leaves the tray. It will either not get picked up by the pick-up roller, or it will be picked up, but it won't make it to the vertical conveyance unit.

Same thing started to occur with Tray 3. The paper will either barely make it through the paper feed unit or will not be picked up at all, and then the machine will jam with J005.

I then placed my poor phone inside Tray 3 and captured a video of what's going. The pick up roller would spin but fail to grab onto the paper and push it far enough so the feed roller would do the rest (see: MP5001 - Album on Imgur).

After taking a look at the PM tables in the service manual, I was surprised to see that that there is no mention of ever needing to replace the paper feed rollers - it only recommends cleaning them every now and then. Am I missing something here?

Currently, only Tray 2 works reliably, but only with trash-quality A4 80gsm paper - after loading some good quality A4 80gsm it would fail to feed every other sheet or so. Paper setting for all trays is set to "Plain".

Is there anything else I can do apart from replacing the pick-up, feed and separation rollers for each malfunctioning tray?

Thanks in advance.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Aficio MP5001 No feed jam

Quote Originally Posted by orestesp View Post
    Greetings,

We have a Aficio MP5001 with approximately ~1,200,000 clicks on it. It was bought used, and basically every consumable (e.g. OPC drum, charging roller, etc) was, assuming from how bad the prints were coming out, completely worn out. I replaced everything apart from the developer (used a different PCDU whose developer was slightly used) and the heat roller and thermistors and had decent print quality ever since. I also gave the conveyance and paper feed rollers a good cleaning with a paper towel and some WD-40, while the rest of the copier was cleaned from toner and paper dust with a paper towel and IPA.

We load A4 80gsm paper on Tray 1 and Tray 2, and A3 80gsm paper on Trays 3 & 4.

The story starts with Tray 1. It would no-feed jam every 20-30 sheets or so. After some time, it would refuse to feed paper from Tray 1, and I thought, fair enough, it must have been the one tray that saw the most use during its lifetime, so I assumed the paper feed rollers (pick-up, feed and separation) must be worn out and need to be replaced.

I didn't give it much thought at that time, because my hands were full and we had 3 more trays that were working just fine. The machine thinks that the jam occurs at the door on the bottom left of the machine (I am more familiar with KM machines, and KM calls it "vertical conveyance unit") while in reality, the paper never really leaves the tray. It will either not get picked up by the pick-up roller, or it will be picked up, but it won't make it to the vertical conveyance unit.

Same thing started to occur with Tray 3. The paper will either barely make it through the paper feed unit or will not be picked up at all, and then the machine will jam with J005.

I then placed my poor phone inside Tray 3 and captured a video of what's going. The pick up roller would spin but fail to grab onto the paper and push it far enough so the feed roller would do the rest (see: MP5001 - Album on Imgur).

After taking a look at the PM tables in the service manual, I was surprised to see that that there is no mention of ever needing to replace the paper feed rollers - it only recommends cleaning them every now and then. Am I missing something here?

Currently, only Tray 2 works reliably, but only with trash-quality A4 80gsm paper - after loading some good quality A4 80gsm it would fail to feed every other sheet or so. Paper setting for all trays is set to "Plain".

Is there anything else I can do apart from replacing the pick-up, feed and separation rollers for each malfunctioning tray?

Thanks in advance.

I NEVER use WD-40 (basically OIL) on feed rollers.. get Rubber Roller cleaner or even IPA... oil n paper don't mix well.
    as far as no life stats mentioned

LOOK AT THE DAMN PM Tables .. it clearly states in there,

worker drone 250+ Posts

Replace the feed rollers but you may also need to disassemble the feed units enough to clean the one-way bearings within them in different locations. There was an old bulletin about a longer bushing at one time also. I assume tray 1 is giving you a jam code 3? That is no pick-up. 1.2M is a pretty full life for that machine. Especially with it's age.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    I NEVER use WD-40 (basically OIL) on feed rollers.. get Rubber Roller cleaner or even IPA... oil n paper don't mix well.
    as far as no life stats mentioned

LOOK AT THE DAMN PM Tables .. it clearly states in there,
    I very much did, as I mentioned in my original post, and it has no mention of when the rollers need to be replaced. See picture attached.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Quote Originally Posted by Coptech View Post
    Replace the feed rollers but you may also need to disassemble the feed units enough to clean the one-way bearings within them in different locations. There was an old bulletin about a longer bushing at one time also. I assume tray 1 is giving you a jam code 3? That is no pick-up. 1.2M is a pretty full life for that machine. Especially with it's age.
    Hi, thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Yes indeed, Tray 1 is giving me a J003.

I searched the service manual for the one-way bearing that you mentioned, but found nothing for it. Could you please elaborate on this? Also, I am not a tech, but I do service our machines, so I am not aware of the service bulletins issued by Ricoh.

Finally, how much more life can I get out of this machine? Is there anything that I would want to replace if it hasn't been replaced by now?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

I very much did, as I mentioned in my original post, and it has no mention of when the rollers need to be replaced. See picture attached.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet Thanks.
    that is just ONE page of it...

as you see it only mentions one table notice the 800pg table isn't include

as for the one-ways...

you will see them in the Parts manual... there is no life for the one-ways... you just have to do the suggested adjustments.

also you used WD-40 when the table tells you WATER

having serviced Ricohs.. Rubber cleaner was OUR preferred cleaner.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    that is just ONE page of it...

as you see it only mentions one table notice the 800pg table isn't include

as for the one-ways...

you will see them in the Parts manual... there is no life for the one-ways... you just have to do the suggested adjustments.

also you used WD-40 when the table tells you WATER

having serviced Ricohs.. Rubber cleaner was OUR preferred cleaner.
    The PM table on this particular manual has no other mention of the paper feed rollers apart from the one page that I posted. I did try water+paper towel, and when that didn't work I used WD-40, which has worked well for me when cleaning the dirt from the rubber rollers on our KM production machine, but it unfortunately aslo didn't work. Unfortunately, my hardware shop doesn't sell a rubber rejuvenating solution.

I am unaware of the suggested adjustments for the one-way bearings, as well as the bearings themselves. I have a copy of the parts manual, are the one way bearings the ones that I've highlighted in the attachment below? Are these the ones that Coptech mentioned need to be cleaned?

Thanks.

PC_v02-MP4000-5000.pdf

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Hi, thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Yes indeed, Tray 1 is giving me a J003.

I searched the service manual for the one-way bearing that you mentioned, but found nothing for it. Could you please elaborate on this? Also, I am not a tech, but I do service our machines, so I am not aware of the service bulletins issued by Ricoh.

Finally, how much more life can I get out of this machine? Is there anything that I would want to replace if it hasn't been replaced by now?

Thanks.
    If you had looked at the page of the recommended PM levels that you attached you would have noticed that the proper way to clean rollers is with water. WD40 leaves an oil film that causes the rollers to slip. The feed rollers are not mentioned because the table only goes up to 800K while the blue composite roller are supposed to last as long as 1M. That is under ideal test lab conditions. In actual operation they seldom go beyond 800K and usually fail around 600K. If the surface of the feed roller is slick/shiny, it is time to replace all three as a set. The older black rollers were rated to go 300K but usually lasted as much as double that.

The only thing that WD 40 is useful for is to remove ink marks from the covers and then Goo Gone or creamy peanut butter work better.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    If you had looked at the page of the recommended PM levels that you attached you would have noticed that the proper way to clean rollers is with water. WD40 leaves an oil film that causes the rollers to slip. The feed rollers are not mentioned because the table only goes up to 800K while the blue composite roller are supposed to last as long as 1M. That is under ideal test lab conditions. In actual operation they seldom go beyond 800K and usually fail around 600K. If the surface of the feed roller is slick/shiny, it is time to replace all three as a set. The older black rollers were rated to go 300K but usually lasted as much as double that.

The only thing that WD 40 is useful for is to remove ink marks from the covers and then Goo Gone or creamy peanut butter work better.
    Like I said, I initially used water to clean the rollers, and when that didn't work, I used WD-40, which was recommended to me by a tech when asking for advice on how to clean the rollers when no rubber rejuvenator was available. It did a good job of cleaning the rollers and it fixed the problem on our KM machine, and I saw no harm in using it here as well.

I do not live in the United States, and the only thing I can think of that is sold here as a rubber rejuvenator is one of those sprays that they sell at gas stations that makes your car tires look like they're new.

Since the rollers are obviously beyond their useful lifetime, they will be replaced.

However, Coptech mentioned something about the one-way bearing the some bushings, if someone could explain to me what I need to do with those and if there's anything in general that would need replacing on a machine this age with as many impressions as it currently has, I'd be grateful.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Hi orestesp, I remember you posted recently in KM section with good success and support.
    Every brand is different but...cleaning rollers help with some limitations. Sometimes you just need to replace one ways clean them scrub shafts or even feed clutches are sleeping. Look at the way tyres are driven swap parts if possible with other trays.
    Just my 2 cents.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

However, Coptech mentioned something about the one-way bearing the some bushings, if someone could explain to me what I need to do with those and if there's anything in general that would need replacing on a machine this age with as many impressions as it currently has, I'd be grateful.
    The 3 rollers are the pickup roller, the reverse roller and the feed roller. The feed roller has a one-way bearing in it that allows it to turn free on the shaft in the feed direction after the clutch turns off.

On the feed roller for the bypass and the LCT the bearing turns the opposite direction.
    Last edited by slimslob; 02-07-2020 at 11:04 PM.