Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Mp 4002 printing light in parts that have a large toner area.

    I am having a weird print quality issue where I can't narrow down where the problem is.

    Imgur: The magic of the Internet

    When printing parts that has a large surface area of toner, it looks like that, but text looks just fine. The bottom of the photos is the lead edge and the top is the trail edge. The edges of the squares on that are perfectly dark, as well as the lead and trial edge, which I don't really understand why.

    The PCDU had a full PM 16k prints ago, and the transfer belt was also replaced. I've tried cleaning the laser glass, cleaning the charge roller, and replacing the developer. I've also checked all the electrical connections inside the PCDU.

    I basically don't know what to try next apart from replacing the whole PCDU, which I'd rather not have to do.

  2. #2
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Turin
    Posts
    238
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: Mp 4002 printing light in parts that have a large toner area.

    You said you changed developer. Have you used the correct procedure for initializing it?
    Bias has to set up to default and 2 or 3 more corrections.
    Have you used a piece of paper to block toner dumping un PCDU during developer initialization?
    Have you cleaned the mag roller properly?
    These machines are a beast with proper maintenance. So something is wrong in what you did.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Mp 4002 printing light in parts that have a large toner area.

    Quote Originally Posted by skynetto View Post
    You said you changed developer. Have you used the correct procedure for initializing it?
    Bias has to set up to default and 2 or 3 more corrections.
    Have you used a piece of paper to block toner dumping un PCDU during developer initialization?
    Have you cleaned the mag roller properly?
    These machines are a beast with proper maintenance. So something is wrong in what you did.
    Yes, I ran 2801 to initialize it, and I did use a piece of paper to block toner from dumping into the developer. The mag roller was still clean from when the previous technician did the PM, but I went ahead and cleaned it thoroughly anyways.

    There was no change in the print quality from before or after I changed the developer.

  4. #4
    Retired 10,000+ Posts slimslob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    10,900
    Rep Power
    256

    Re: Mp 4002 printing light in parts that have a large toner area.

    Are you using Genuine Ricoh toner and developer? Developer roller coating is bad enough without making it worse with after market supplies.

    Did you run SP3001-002 after replacing the drum? Check the value of SP3001-001, P Sensor Setting. It should be close to the default value of 13. If after running SP3001-002 it is still off, the ID sensor may be dirty or damaged. Clean the sensor only with a soft cotton cloth moistened slightly with water. Use of anything other than a cotton cloth can cause static that will result in toner being attracted to the surface making it dirty. Use of window cleaner can leave a film. Use of alcohol or other solvent will etch the surface of the sensor requiring replacement. After cleaning or replacing the ID sensor run SP-3001-002.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Mp 4002 printing light in parts that have a large toner area.

    Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Are you using Genuine Ricoh toner and developer? Developer roller coating is bad enough without making it worse with after market supplies.

    Did you run SP3001-002 after replacing the drum? Check the value of SP3001-001, P Sensor Setting. It should be close to the default value of 13. If after running SP3001-002 it is still off, the ID sensor may be dirty or damaged. Clean the sensor only with a soft cotton cloth moistened slightly with water. Use of anything other than a cotton cloth can cause static that will result in toner being attracted to the surface making it dirty. Use of window cleaner can leave a film. Use of alcohol or other solvent will etch the surface of the sensor requiring replacement. After cleaning or replacing the ID sensor run SP-3001-002.

    Developer is Genuine Ricoh, and the customer ordered 2 toner bottles from us for that machines back in October, so it's unlikely they bought third party toner, but ill double check next time I go out there.

    I did not replace the drum, another tech did a couple months ago, and I don't know if ran SP3001-002 or not. I'm going to be going out there again tomorrow with a PCDU from a scrap machine, but i'll check SP3001 before replacing it.

    Thanks for the suggestion.

  6. #6
    Retired 10,000+ Posts slimslob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    10,900
    Rep Power
    256

    Re: Mp 4002 printing light in parts that have a large toner area.

    What happens when the ID sensor is dirty is the ID patch looks darker than it actually is. This causes the machine to think it is properly toned when in fact it is under toned.

  7. #7
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Mp 4002 printing light in parts that have a large toner area.

    sandmanmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    3,042
    Rep Power
    93

    Re: Mp 4002 printing light in parts that have a large toner area.

    Quote Originally Posted by n.davison View Post
    The PCDU had a full PM 16k prints ago, and the transfer belt was also replaced. I've tried cleaning the laser glass, cleaning the charge roller, and replacing the developer.
    At this point, I'd suggest removing the laser unit and cleaning the internal optics

  8. #8
    Just a tech 250+ Posts keithxxiii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    415
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Mp 4002 printing light in parts that have a large toner area.

    Mind if you share the SP table?
    Aye! Cut the crap

  9. #9
    How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts zed255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,006
    Rep Power
    51

    Re: Mp 4002 printing light in parts that have a large toner area.

    The fill is weak but there is a dark edge. I have seen this when the transfer assembly leads have been mixed up, the two connectors that connect to the belt assembly from the cleaning assembly. Make sure the bias leads are positioned correctly and if not sure there is no harm is swapping them for a test.
    Zed
    One out of four people is mentally unbalanced.
    Think of your three closest friends...
    If they seem okay, then You're The One.

  10. #10
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts luca72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Milano, Italia
    Posts
    200
    Rep Power
    9

    Thumbs up Re: Mp 4002 printing light in parts that have a large toner area.

    Quote Originally Posted by n.davison View Post
    I am having a weird print quality issue where I can't narrow down where the problem is.

    Imgur: The magic of the Internet

    When printing parts that has a large surface area of toner, it looks like that, but text looks just fine. The bottom of the photos is the lead edge and the top is the trail edge. The edges of the squares on that are perfectly dark, as well as the lead and trial edge, which I don't really understand why.

    The PCDU had a full PM 16k prints ago, and the transfer belt was also replaced. I've tried cleaning the laser glass, cleaning the charge roller, and replacing the developer. I've also checked all the electrical connections inside the PCDU.

    I basically don't know what to try next apart from replacing the whole PCDU, which I'd rather not have to do.




    if the pcdu components have 16k prints, and you have performed the whole procedure correctly .... go like a sniper! ... open the laserbox, and clean all the mirrors and glasses you see...ahh i forgot..clean the slide of the ID sensor, i tell you because many do not.


    I LOVE MARTINI SERIES

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-= -= -= -= -=


IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here