Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Technician
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    St. Joseph
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    1

    Vertical Stripe Only On Envelopes

    I have a Savin 8035 / Ricoh 3035.

    The thing that is been driving me nuts for quite a while is the fact that while the copies are good, the envelopes always have a grey undefined (as in “not razor sharp”) vertical stripe on them between the end of the return address, and the beginning of the addressee.

    See the attached PDF.

    I feed envelopes through the bypass tray, and this happens only on envelopes, nothing else.

    It has over 640,000 combined prints/copies. Within the last 48,000 copies, it has a new toner carrier and motor, and the relatively full toner bottle is “official Savin”. It has a remanufactured and replenished Developer Unit, rebuilt PCU with new seals, drum, blades, etc., and a re-manufactured Fuser. It has new ID and TD sensors. I clean the inside on a regular basis.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  2. #2
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Vertical Stripe Only On Envelopes

    Phil B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    6,603
    Rep Power
    128

    Re: Vertical Stripe Only On Envelopes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Engram View Post
    I have a Savin 8035 / Ricoh 3035.
    The thing that is been driving me nuts for quite a while is the fact that while the copies are good, the envelopes always have a grey undefined (as in “not razor sharp”) vertical stripe on them between the end of the return address, and the beginning of the addressee.
    See the attached PDF.
    I feed envelopes through the bypass tray, and this happens only on envelopes, nothing else.
    It has over 640,000 combined prints/copies. Within the last 48,000 copies, it has a new toner carrier and motor, and the relatively full toner bottle is “official Savin”. It has a remanufactured and replenished Developer Unit, rebuilt PCU with new seals, drum, blades, etc., and a re-manufactured Fuser. It has new ID and TD sensors. I clean the inside on a regular basis.
    What are the paper settings on:
    file properties
    print driver
    copier?

    what WEIGHT is programmed?

    what if you try 100-180 gsm stock ?
    do you get the same defect?

    other than this issue has it been serviced?
    why?
    what was done?

    have you pulled the drum(s) and transfer roller?
    is there a like defect on any of them?

  3. #3
    Retired 10,000+ Posts slimslob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    10,428
    Rep Power
    236

    Re: Vertical Stripe Only On Envelopes

    Is the line parallel to or perpendicular to the direction of paper travel. If it is parallel to then you need to rebuild the fusing unit. The mark is from the fusing roller Teflon coating being scratched off by one of the stripper pawls. The other thing would be the PCU.

  4. #4
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Vertical Stripe Only On Envelopes

    blackcat4866's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lapeer, Michigan
    Posts
    17,962
    Rep Power
    305

    Re: Vertical Stripe Only On Envelopes

    I'm thinking that the line is crossfeed and that the envelope is COM10 (Tairy Green). My question is: "How is the paper size defined?"

    If the paper size is undefined the blanking lamps may shut off before the entire envelope sized image is produced, leaving a partially charged band crossfeed on the drum, that develops with toner. On standard sized, properly defined paper sizes that band is between pages, wiped off by the drum blade, and never seen.

    The machine must identify the proper paper size and type. Those are?
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

    blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

  5. #5
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Vertical Stripe Only On Envelopes

    FrohnB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Nebraska, USA ------ GO BIG RED
    Posts
    701
    Rep Power
    32

    Re: Vertical Stripe Only On Envelopes

    Check your transfer unit in the right hand door (brown belt). The rollers inside the belt get a buildup on them. I usually clean them with a solvent/ degreaser. The reason I suggest this is because I usually see that pattern on the edge of regular paper that is fed through. Also you don’t mention having done anything with that unit. Needs to be cleaned out (this is where the waste toner resides), and occasionally needs a new cleaning blade for the belt (rarely needs belt replaced). As I mentioned before, the metal rollers in that unit get a buildup and need to be cleaned.

  6. #6
    Technician
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    St. Joseph
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Vertical Stripe Only On Envelopes

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    What are the paper settings on:
    file properties
    print driver
    copier?

    what WEIGHT is programmed?

    what if you try 100-180 gsm stock ?
    do you get the same defect?

    other than this issue has it been serviced?
    why?
    what was done?

    have you pulled the drum(s) and transfer roller?
    is there a like defect on any of them?
    The envelopes are printed from the "Mailings / Envelopes" tab of MS Word 2016. The envelope is pulled from the bypass tray. It pulls "end to end" ie: the shorter side edge of the envelope is pulled in.

    I could never locate a Bypass paper thickness setting within the copier menus itself. I can set the "paper size" for bypass, including custom, but no obvious "thickness" setting.

    The Ricoh Printer Driver that Word uses allows me to select "Thick". The setting is irrelevant. I STILL get the fuzzy vertical bar on the envelope in the exact same spot every time (halfway between the right side of the return address and the left side of the addressee).

    If I "fool" the printer by sticking a sheet of standard thickness copier paper instead of an actual envelope in the bypass tray (in "landscape", i.e.: short edge into printer) I STILL get the line, when I print the fake envelope.

    HOWEVER, If I print a standard size 8.5x11 letter in "portrait" orientation (i.e.: when I make a batch of return address labels, or a label sheet for an addressee that I use all the time), NO LINE.

    And, with any OTHER copy job, if I just print a plain old letter using a sheet from drawer 2 (my 8.5x11 "landscape" drawer), NO LINE ACROSS THE PAGE IN LANDSCAPE.

    Finally, if I print a page onto 11x17, from drawer 4, the absolute maximum size for the printer, NO LINE.

    It's JUST the ****** envelopes!!!!!

    Regarding service, I own the thing, and got it actually 3rd hand, free from another colleague in my building, and HE got it from a mutual colleague of ours also in the same building. I have the PDF Service Manual and Parts Manual for it. It came with the Savin Maintenance Kit, that had not been opened or used, as neither of them were technically minded. In fact my colleague told me I could have the copier because he got tired of calling me over to troubleshoot it (sticks, jams, dirty copies, etc.)

    I got it approx 48K copies ago, and immediately cleaned it out top to bottom. I even took the backside covers off and lubricated the gears.

    Short version, among the other parts, I ordered a new PCU upper and lower assembly, and drum. the upper came with all the seals in place. It only needed some of the internal parts, and I had the new service parts from the Savin Maintenance Kit. I did order new pick-off pawls, and a couple of internal parts that don't get serviced unless they go bad.

    I very carefully compared the new parts to the schematic to make sure all parts were present and accounted for; that all parts were put in the right direction, and after I got done, I had no "parts left over".

    The copies are clean, the whole thing rarely sticks or mis-feeds or jams any more.

    I just completely disassembled the PCU when I had everything out for cleaning the other day. I inspected all the seals and examined the 2 blades and the rollers under a strong magnifying glass, and there are no marrs or defects on the edges. the drum looks good.

    I did it right after printing an envelope.

    There is a line of toner about 1/4 inch wide across the drum from end to end.

    Here's what occurs to me. I don't know the precise circumference of the drum, but the drum has to roll completely 1+ times for an 8.5x11 landscape and at least 2+ for an 11x17, yet there's no line on either of them; thus this line of toner can't be getting past the cleaning blades under normal print circumstances, otherwise ALL pieces of paper would have the line. It's as if the copier is painting a line of toner onto the drum AFTER it's past the cleaning blades.

    There is one bit of other odd behavior. I have Windows 7 Pro x64. I found a long time ago that if I use the RPCS Driver, the envelopes go through the machine perfectly (except for the line). If I try to use the PCL6 driver, they JAM, EVERY TIME WITHOUT FAIL, somewhere between post-fuser and the exit of the SR790. About 15 years ago, I worked at an office that had this exact same copier, and I fortunately remembered that the copier company tech told us to use the RPCS Driver for envelopes, though we never had a line problem.

  7. #7
    Technician
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    St. Joseph
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Vertical Stripe Only On Envelopes

    Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    Check your transfer unit in the right hand door (brown belt). The rollers inside the belt get a buildup on them. I usually clean them with a solvent/ degreaser. The reason I suggest this is because I usually see that pattern on the edge of regular paper that is fed through. Also you don’t mention having done anything with that unit. Needs to be cleaned out (this is where the waste toner resides), and occasionally needs a new cleaning blade for the belt (rarely needs belt replaced). As I mentioned before, the metal rollers in that unit get a buildup and need to be cleaned.
    Hmmm... I'll pull the assembly and check that, but I didn't mention that I had a complete, new Savin Maintenance Kit that my colleague handed over when he gave me the copier. I replaced those items when I serviced the copier right after I got it. The belt and blade only have just over 32,600 copies/prints.

  8. #8
    Technician
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    St. Joseph
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    1

    Vertical Stripe Only On Envelopes

    Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I'm thinking that the line is crossfeed and that the envelope is COM10 (Tairy Green). My question is: "How is the paper size defined?"

    If the paper size is undefined the blanking lamps may shut off before the entire envelope sized image is produced, leaving a partially charged band crossfeed on the drum, that develops with toner. On standard sized, properly defined paper sizes that band is between pages, wiped off by the drum blade, and never seen.

    The machine must identify the proper paper size and type. Those are?
    =^..^=
    Now that's interesting.

    The envelopes are standard US #10, but so that I don't have to keep going into the copier and changing it back and forth, the copier's internal menu is set to 8.5x11 portrait. The printer driver in Windows (both RPCS and PCL6), under "Paper position in bypass tray" is currently UNCHECKED (I could select a default to either). With the box unchecked both sub-selections are greyed out. Yes, I've tried selecting both. No dice.

    Now, when I tell Word '16 to print an envelope, I don't have to go into the driver to change manually to the bypass tray, and in fact I don't change any settings at all. The printer automatically tries to grab from the bypass tray and if there's nothing there, it actually beeps, and displays an error (no paper in the bypass tray).

    However, if I actually open the driver and go specifically to select the bypass tray, I currently HAVEN'T been changing the "Tray" selection, or "Original" size, or "Output" size.

    Maybe I've been presuming the driver knows what to do, since within the "Envelopes and Mailings" / "Options" / "Envelope Options" & "Printing Options" setup sub menu in Word, I have it defaulted to the correct envelope description, and orientation (#10, upside down, short edge arrow into printer).

    I'll have to experiment with the driver settings in the main (Word) "File" / "Print" / "Printer Properties" / "Print Setting" menu (i.e.: Where I'd normally select duplex top / edge / staple / collate) for any other print job.

  9. #9
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Vertical Stripe Only On Envelopes

    blackcat4866's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lapeer, Michigan
    Posts
    17,962
    Rep Power
    305

    Re: Vertical Stripe Only On Envelopes

    Thank you. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

    blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

  10. #10
    Technician
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    St. Joseph
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    1

    Vertical Stripe Only On Envelopes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Engram View Post
    Now that's interesting.

    The envelopes are standard US #10, but so that I don't have to keep going into the copier and changing it back and forth, the copier's internal menu is set to 8.5x11 portrait. The printer driver in Windows (both RPCS and PCL6), under "Paper position in bypass tray" is currently UNCHECKED (I could select a default to either). With the box unchecked both sub-selections are greyed out. Yes, I've tried selecting both. No dice.

    Now, when I tell Word '16 to print an envelope, I don't have to go into the driver to change manually to the bypass tray, and in fact I don't change any settings at all. The printer automatically tries to grab from the bypass tray and if there's nothing there, it actually beeps, and displays an error (no paper in the bypass tray).

    However, if I actually open the driver and go specifically to select the bypass tray, I currently HAVEN'T been changing the "Tray" selection, or "Original" size, or "Output" size.

    Maybe I've been presuming the driver knows what to do, since within the "Envelopes and Mailings" / "Options" / "Envelope Options" & "Printing Options" setup sub menu in Word, I have it defaulted to the correct envelope description, and orientation (#10, upside down, short edge arrow into printer).

    I'll have to experiment with the driver settings in the main (Word) "File" / "Print" / "Printer Properties" / "Print Setting" menu (i.e.: Where I'd normally select duplex top / edge / staple / collate) for any other print job.
    *****

    Okay: so not only did I make sure that the Mailings menu of Word has the correct settings (number 10 envelope, upside down, short edge in), I also changed File / Print / Printer Properties / Print Settings to Bypass, Thick, #10 envelope, landscape.

    No dice.

    Same exact grey vertical line between the return address and the inside address.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-= -= -= -= -=


IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here