Technician

False Toner Out or Exhausted Indicator

I have a Savin 8035 / Ricoh 3035.

There is an annoyance that I thought was taken care of over the last couple of months, but within the last week started recurring.

After a seemingly random number of copies (perhaps a couple hundred, and not necessarily continuously), the copier will beep at me, and indicate that the toner is low, and that I should replace the toner.

Maddeningly, the recently ordered “official Savin” toner bottle is relatively full.

The copies are fine, as in they are neither too dark nor light. It just suddenly decides the toner’s low.

I have, previous to this round of frustration, completely replaced the entire toner carrier with a new unit, and the toner motor. That's what finally seemed to fix the problem.

I have to open the front door, close the front door, and wait for it to process. I don’t even have to pop the handle, and pull the carrier out. Of course, it immediately extinguishes the toner out indicator, and I can proceed normally until the next time, whenever that may be. Open the door, close the door: “Wash, rinse, repeat.”

It has over 640,000 combined prints/copies. Within the last 48,000 copies. It has a remanufactured and replenished Developer Unit and reset per the Service Manual, rebuilt PCU with new seals, drum, blades, etc., and a remanufactured Fuser. It has new ID and TD sensors.

I follow the instructions on resetting the various items that are connected with the new or remanufactured parts above.

I clean the inside on a regular basis.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: False Toner Out or Exhausted Indicator

provided that the machine is over 10 years old and should be disintegrated, check the connector on the RJ45 machine, contacts of the development unit. The development unit regenerated with the original developer? If you install compatible materials in the copier, you will not have excellent results.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Make sure you have the correct toner for the Model Savin 8035 that you have. Product Code B264 8035/8035sp/8035spf/8035spi/8035g uses toner type 3545 black or Ricoh type 3110D black. Product Code B291 Savin 8035e/8035eg uses Savin Toner 8035e/8045e Ricoh Toner 4500A. The 2 bottles are almost identical, same height and diameter but the bottoms where the toner motor drives them is difference. They are not interchangeable.

We had both models in the field and I used to carry a spare of each type in case the office sent a customer the wrong type.

Currently in the Vaal Triangle area in Gauteng, South Africa

My bet is one or more of the agitator paddles in the toner hopper came loose and now the machine loads toner but not enough toner is being pushed out the hopper fast enough...was a common problem on that style hopper, open it up and it should still be inside to glue back on, I'd peel all of them off and glue them back while the hopper is open if I were you as a proactive measure.

Can't remember if the 3035 had the setting but I do remember the MP4000 and newer had and you could try reducing the process control interval from the default 100 pages down to about 25 (P Pattern Cycle SP2110 if I memory serves me right), this helps loads for density issues and extends the life of Developer which leads to extended life on the drum too.

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Usually what we see is the toner hopper gets packed up and needs cleaned out or the toner collar with the Mylars inside the toner sled gets weak (mylars bent) and can’t push enough toner through. You said you replaced that, so probably not the issue.

Next would be making sure it’s actually making it into the chute on the drum frame (seals go bad), but it sounds like you replaced those seals??

Next I would check your Development unit. You don’t mention if you replaced developer and ran initialization. Could be a bad TD sensor in dev. unit.

Did you clean the ID sensor that looks down onto the drum??

I normally use the “checkered flag” pattern to test if the machine will “keep up” and hold its density.

There are not really any other things to check for “add toner”.

This series came out in 2005, and we have been updating them with new machines at a pretty rapid pace lately.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by GIUBOSS View Post
    provided that the machine is over 10 years old and should be disintegrated, check the connector on the RJ45 machine, contacts of the development unit. The development unit regenerated with the original developer? If you install compatible materials in the copier, you will not have excellent results.
    Every time I do cleaning / maint (about 1x/mo) I hit that end connector on the Dev Unit and also the receiver in the copier with electronic parts cleaner (and, yes, I'm careful not to hit anything else with it.) The connector is not loose, and the receiver's pins are straight and clean.

I did NOT recycle the developer. The Dev Unit was refilled with new, unopened Ricoh developer. I refilled and reset the unit per the instructions in the Service Manual that I have, prior to use.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    Usually what we see is the toner hopper gets packed up and needs cleaned out or the toner collar with the Mylars inside the toner sled gets weak (mylars bent) and can’t push enough toner through. You said you replaced that, so probably not the issue.

Next would be making sure it’s actually making it into the chute on the drum frame (seals go bad), but it sounds like you replaced those seals??

Next I would check your Development unit. You don’t mention if you replaced developer and ran initialization. Could be a bad TD sensor in dev. unit.

Did you clean the ID sensor that looks down onto the drum??

I normally use the “checkered flag” pattern to test if the machine will “keep up” and hold its density.

There are not really any other things to check for “add toner”.

This series came out in 2005, and we have been updating them with new machines at a pretty rapid pace lately.
    Yep. Toner hopper and toner motor completely replace with new items.

I personally ordered new seals and replaced them on the drum unit, and on the dev unit.

I replaced both the TD and ID sensors, and followed the instructions in the Service Manual for initiating the new ones.

I'll have to run that pattern and see what happens.

One curious thing I didn't mention: And nothing I've read anywhere online seems to say anything definitive about this. Whenever I pull the drum unit out, the dev unit inlet is ABSOLUTELY PACKED WITH TONER, right to the top of the inlet, to the point it blows out when I pull the drum. I have to keep an old newspaper on top of the door when I pull the parts. It's ALWAYS been this way.

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts

Clean the dev mag roller on these old machine they get a black coating on it. Clean it should be silver. We used to replace a lot of the mag roller assy. Re dev setup td and Id sensors make sure all filters are clean
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com

Currently in the Vaal Triangle area in Gauteng, South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Engram View Post
    Yep. Toner hopper and toner motor completely replace with new items.

I personally ordered new seals and replaced them on the drum unit, and on the dev unit.

I replaced both the TD and ID sensors, and followed the instructions in the Service Manual for initiating the new ones.

I'll have to run that pattern and see what happens.

One curious thing I didn't mention: And nothing I've read anywhere online seems to say anything definitive about this. Whenever I pull the drum unit out, the dev unit inlet is ABSOLUTELY PACKED WITH TONER, right to the top of the inlet, to the point it blows out when I pull the drum. I have to keep an old newspaper on top of the door when I pull the parts. It's ALWAYS been this way.
    Have you checked if the Dev unit is turning freely? There is an auger in another auger and have had the inner auger seize up on me before a few times so the Dev doesn't get circulate as it should when that happens and its not always obvious when turning the gear by hand either.

If you remove the front cover on the Dev tank you can check if all gears and shafts are turning when you turn the main gear on the back.

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk