Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"OCR detection Processing"

Hi

I work at former Ricoh Retailer. Now we sell mostly Utax / TA because of the bad Support of Ricoh. The Problem is, all of our old Ricoh Technicians changed to another company.
    Now, i m the only one who has knowledge about copymaschines. So our Disponents send me everywhere.

Today i was at a IM C3000A. From time to time, when you scan your documents (doesnt matter how many pieces of paper...) It Shows "ocr detection Processing" in the Display. As long as it shows this Message, you cant do anything else. The customer tried to wait for some hours. Sometimes this works that the maschine finishes the scan successfull. Sometimes even after hours it still says "ocr detection Processing" so they restart the maschine. Again, sometimes it works and they get their scans sometimes they have to scan again.

I checked the Resolution, but its set to 200dpi, also i checked the jobjournal, i think this ricoh shows the last 200 scanjobs and all of them say : status - successfull.

The customer told me, this error is there since some weeks and they have 3 identical maschines and this error is only with 1 Maschine.

German ricoh Support says, they need to speak to the Technician who build in the OCR unit. Thats not possible. Another Problem is, that you get Telephone Support only, if you have the course for the certain maschine.

Has anybody an idea what i can do?

Greets from germany,

sawlling

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: "OCR detection Processing"

They need to turn off OCR scanning. Resolution set at 200 may speed up the actual scanning and sending but make OCR processing take much longer since the scanned image is no where near as clear as higher resolutions.

well first of all thank you for this reply, but this customer needs the OCR scan...

The resolution part, sounds plausible.

How can i set another DPI setting as standart setting?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I think optimum ocr resolution is either 300 or 400 dpi if I recall correctly. 200 isn't enough and it wlll struggle to process properly.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sawlling View Post
    well first of all thank you for this reply, but this customer needs the OCR scan...

The resolution part, sounds plausible.

How can i set another DPI setting as standart setting?
    I had a customer who was a bankruptcy lawyer. They had to submit client documents to the Fresno District Office electronically as 300 DPI PDFs.

If the customer really needs OCR it would be better to scan at 300 DPI or better and use a PC based OCR software. Depending on the page and DPI scan to OCR can take 5 minutes per page or more. The document is not sent until it has finished processing all pages. Software can take 10 seconds or less. If you check around there should be software that when a document is placed in a specific folder, the software automatically converts it to OCR and moves it to another folder where the customer can then do with it what ever they need to do.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Hi

I work at former Ricoh Retailer. Now we sell mostly Utax / TA because of the bad Support of Ricoh. The Problem is, all of our old Ricoh Technicians changed to another company.
    Now, i m the only one who has knowledge about copymaschines. So our Disponents send me everywhere.

Today i was at a IM C3000A. From time to time, when you scan your documents (doesnt matter how many pieces of paper...) It Shows "ocr detection Processing" in the Display. As long as it shows this Message, you cant do anything else. The customer tried to wait for some hours. Sometimes this works that the maschine finishes the scan successfull. Sometimes even after hours it still says "ocr detection Processing" so they restart the maschine. Again, sometimes it works and they get their scans sometimes they have to scan again.

I checked the Resolution, but its set to 200dpi, also i checked the jobjournal, i think this ricoh shows the last 200 scanjobs and all of them say : status - successfull.

The customer told me, this error is there since some weeks and they have 3 identical maschines and this error is only with 1 Maschine.

German ricoh Support says, they need to speak to the Technician who build in the OCR unit. Thats not possible. Another Problem is, that you get Telephone Support only, if you have the course for the certain maschine.

Greets from germany,

sawlling
    Since you have 3 identical machines at this site check the settings are identical on all 3.

Also check the firmware levels are the same/latest versions.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts

Hi

Greets from germany,

sawlling
    The only reason why a copier reseller would not sell ricoh but now sell utax is because they would of lost there dealer ship ricoh support if far far better than utax
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com

@slimslob

Yep i know, but i cant tell that to the customer. They just bought this Ricoh System some months ago. And our salesstuff told the customer that the Ricoh can do this... So this will be work for our Sales-Departement.

@copier tech

I want to do this, tell me which settings and where to find it.
    I can tell, that the others use the same folders AND also 200 dpi.

@mga

Wow. Tell me, as a London Technician, how often have you called german Ricoh Support?
    This has nothing to do with my question. And its also not a professinal answer.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Wow. Tell me, as a London Technician, how often have you called german Ricoh Support?
    This has nothing to do with my question.
    I would think that the only difference between Ricoh.co.uk and Ricoh.de would be the language used. They are both under Ricoh-Europe. If you cannot handle the heat refer the customer to a qualified Ricoh or Gestetner dealership. And by the way since from your first post you say that all of our old Ricoh Technicians changed to another company and you're the only one who has knowledge about copy machines. Since you apparently do not have Ricoh training how often have you actually talked to them? Most likely they would not talk to you because you are not authorized. Even when your company was a Ricoh you personally were not authorized because you had not been train on any Ricoh product. mga on the other hand is a highly trained Ricoh Senior Service Engineer.

And its also not a professinal answer.
    It is your response that is not professional.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

You have two machines working and one giving a problem, use that information to help troubleshoot. First clean the optics on the problem machine. Now go compare the firmware versions and compare the settings in user tools. There are a lot of settings to look at, take your time and try to find something different on the one giving the problem.

Set the network speed under interface settings, page 2, to enable gigabit Ethernet. Set the scan resolution to 300 DPI.

Try moving the problem machine to the location of one of the machines that work good.