Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Anything new with setting up scan to folder on win 10?

HI
    I just unboxed and set up 10 HP all in one PCs but have yet to swap out their older WIN 7 DELLS,pending them collecting old saved items.
    As they still have a mpc3501 which was configured to scan to folder SMB I will have to make these do the same.
    Are you just creating a new user with a password and then create a shared folder?
    I know I ve had issues trying to connect the win 10 IP address from the machine in the past
    Ive been lucky to be just mpc3003 placements and configure scan to email..
    thanks

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: Anything new with setting up scan to folder on win 10?

Quote Originally Posted by fshead View Post
    I know I ve had issues trying to connect the win 10 IP address from the machine in the past
    thanks
    Since one of the early Microsoft updates that affected scan to SMB, Windows has treated scanning to the IP address to be a phishing attack. You need to have everything on the same domain or work group and check the the name is correct in the C3501. Otherwise NetBIOS make not work properly.

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts

HI
    I just unboxed and set up 10 HP all in one PCs but have yet to swap out their older WIN 7 DELLS,pending them collecting old saved items.
    As they still have a mpc3501 which was configured to scan to folder SMB I will have to make these do the same.
    Are you just creating a new user with a password and then create a shared folder?
    thanks
    Hope this helps please see attachment
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

I don't know Ricoh lineup but you will have to update mpc3501 FW if this is old model.
    I would check
    Ricoh tech site for FW that supports SMBv2/SMBv3. Turning on SMBv1 on PCs is not a thing I would recommend.
    Other ways to get them scanning are as usual - FTP, email. I even use KM bizhubs HDD sometimes as shared folder when there is no other way.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    I don't know Ricoh lineup but you will have to update mpc3501 FW if this is old model.
    I would check
    Ricoh tech site for FW that supports SMBv2/SMBv3. Turning on SMBv1 on PCs is not a thing I would recommend.
    Other ways to get them scanning are as usual - FTP, email. I even use KM bizhubs HDD sometimes as shared folder when there is no other way.
    thanks all
    i am trying to get them to buy a mpc3003 but they are cheap and just bought 7k worth of new PCs.........
    I am waiting for the fuser or set of drums needing replacement to force the upgrade as it will be cheaper in the long run........
    SO if i enable SMBv1 before 15 days it will work like the win 7 config?

I wouldn't enable smb 1 at all if there is an option to do so. Do they have a slightly older server that you can share folders from to specific people?
    I can't remember if the 3501 can be put on smb 2/3 with firmware I would have thought it could as it's in the 01 range.
    Then if so just setup scan to folder per PC as usual if that is what they want, is scan to folder something you have set up on a windows 10 in the past? If not there are a couple of things that will stop you along the way, such as turning network settings from public to private etc After sharing and advanced sharing the folder it will tell you the correct path via pc name anyway so forget about ip address. It will just be something like \\DELL-PC1\Scans if you put the folder on the desktop (and call it Scans)

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

thanks all
    i am trying to get them to buy a mpc3003 but they are cheap and just bought 7k worth of new PCs.........
    I am waiting for the fuser or set of drums needing replacement to force the upgrade as it will be cheaper in the long run........
    Do NOT enable SMB1 without explicit permission from the customer. You may be opening them up to a regulatory or compliance issue, not to mention a security risk. There is no SMB2/3 firmware update for the C3501 so you may want to try moving them to the C3003 or use scan to email or scan to FTP.

Stop using SMB1 - Microsoft Tech Community - 425858

Senior Tech 100+ Posts ridgemill's Avatar

The latest firmware only mentions Windows 8 & Server 2012, however it may work with Windows 10.

Network Support v10.63
    System/Copy v2.06 or later

The copier will need a local user to access. You can create one using Run > lusrmgr.msc or Control Panel > User Accounts > Manage User Accounts. (Location varies depending on the version of Windows). Make sure the user's password is set to not expire, and they have full read & write access to the folder in both Properties > Sharing > Advanced Sharing > Permissions and Properties > Security.

When adding the folder to the copier you will need to fully qualify the username in Folder Authentication, as PCNAME\username.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

There is custom firmware listed for that also, I don't know if it's what you're looking for but it's worth checking into. Here is the readme that comes with the custom firmware.

RAC-10533 - Marketing - Higher SMB Version Support for Products Older Than 12A Readme.pdf

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Maybe yes maybe no. But in all likelihood is it will fail the next time Windows 10 installs a security update and you will have to go back and enable SMBv1 again. And since Windows 10 sometimes updates a couple of times a week...

One thing that might give you some time is to have them keep one of their Windows 7 Dells and use it as a scan server.