Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2550B

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    2550B

2550B

Don't know Ricoh that well. Would normally turn ricohs over to a friend but will be upgrading later this year when budget money comes in (so they say, you know old saying "buyers are liars")

What causes a pile of toner to build up inside machine? Machine has around 70k clicks. This has happened 2 times now with new "Genuine Ricoh" drum units and OEM toners. After a few months they call back with light print and toner everywhere!

I didn't do any setup with the new drums because thought it said in serv man drum/dev unit calibrates automatically?

What am I doing wrong beside working on Ricoh that I don't know?

Thanks

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    2550B

Re: 2550B

Usually warn seals on the toner bottle holder and/or obstructions in the toner drop path. Rotation of the toner bottle moves toner toward the neck of the bottle where it enters the cavity on the front of the holder. If it does not then drop down into the PCU, it can back up around the neck of the bottle.

Replace the toner bottle tray. Vacuum all dumped toner, this includes below the PCU or it will drop onto the paper in tray 1.

Also check the toner recovery shalt in the top of the PCU paper lint dust bunnies. These can collect and clog the opening that th e toner is supposed to exit through.

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts
    2550B

If you fitted type 1027 it should setup automatically. If you fit developer you will need sp2801 {dev initialization} the ricoh Russian is a great series. You could also check the toner hopper is lining up with pcu. They do sometimes get toner on door etc from when user pulls hopper out. Gate may not be closing.
    Good luck
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    2550B

Quote Originally Posted by mga View Post
    If you fitted type 1027 it should setup automatically. If you fit developer you will need sp2801 {dev initialization} the ricoh Russian is a great series. You could also check the toner hopper is lining up with pcu. They do sometimes get toner on door etc from when user pulls hopper out. Gate may not be closing.
    Good luck
    I have heard that there are no more "new" Photo Conductor Type 1027, only re-manufactured.

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts
    2550B

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I have heard that there are no more "new" Photo Conductor Type 1027, only re-manufactured.
    Hi simslob
    We can still get direct from ricoh don't think they are recon. But I know you can get recon from companies like katun, Parsia or a dodgy China sites

Take care
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    2550B

Quote Originally Posted by mga View Post
    Hi simslob
    We can still get direct from ricoh don't think they are recon. But I know you can get recon from companies like katun, Parsia or a dodgy China sites

Take care
    From what I have read even Ricoh no longer sell "NEW" Type 2027. They sell Type 2027R.

I was going to suggest toner hopper for a start, only 70k on it but im guessing that is over probably 12 years or so. Definitely do as suggested with pulling pcdu out and hoovering it all, even under the slits. Then if you can find the gap, slide a small piece of paper in there so in the future the toner that dumps under pcdu will fall onto that instead of tray 1. It’s fiddly but worth it. Change when you change the pcdu’s. I’m pretty sure this is a model with the laser slit glass. It may have a 1inch plastic cover over it, just by the toner hopper. Pull it out carefully and clean with a cloth, slide it back in carefully.
    another thing worth noting, when you clean it out be very careful of the quenching lamps. They are above the pcdu, if you damage 1 bit the whole thing won’t work and will cause the paper to come out feeling gritty all over. I liked these machines but got rid of them all now. I could go on about tray motors and sensors as well...

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    2550B

Quote Originally Posted by JayPaul View Post
    I was going to suggest toner hopper for a start, only 70k on it but im guessing that is over probably 12 years or so. Definitely do as suggested with pulling pcdu out and hoovering it all, even under the slits. Then if you can find the gap, slide a small piece of paper in there so in the future the toner that dumps under pcdu will fall onto that instead of tray 1. It’s fiddly but worth it. Change when you change the pcdu’s. I’m pretty sure this is a model with the laser slit glass. It may have a 1inch plastic cover over it, just by the toner hopper. Pull it out carefully and clean with a cloth, slide it back in carefully.
    another thing worth noting, when you clean it out be very careful of the quenching lamps. They are above the pcdu, if you damage 1 bit the whole thing won’t work and will cause the paper to come out feeling gritty all over. I liked these machines but got rid of them all now. I could go on about tray motors and sensors as well...
    One thing, make sure to vacuum any toner that might be against the shield glass before you pull it out. Otherwise the toner can fall into the laser unit.

I could have sworn I wrote it but just read it all back and I didn’t. Good catch slim

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I definitely don't have any nostalgic feelings or memories with these pieces of garbage. I had a bunch of them and they were trash. Ran dirty and the hopper/bottle combo was a mess as well. Tray lifts were fussy. The only saving grace was you could swap the entire PCDU out with the 1027 drum unit and now those are basically toast and we have to rebuild drums, which is its own special nightmare.

Unfortunately, there are still some of the 3 series out there, but their time is coming. 4 and 5 series are just so much better imo. Way overdue.