Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Printing on label paper multiple times

Re: Printing on label paper multiple times

Sounds like she needs a Dymo label printer.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    Sounds like she needs a Dymo label printer.
    Dymo label printers use Direct Thermal print technology that basically heats very small pins in the printhead to turn dots on chemically coated paper black.

The image will last approx six months to a year before it fades to illegible.

Dymo label printers are relatively inexpensive to acquire but the special label paper is expensive to operate.

The correct label printer depends on the customers application.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Avery Labels has it on their package " do not run sheets through multiple times. "

most customers don't understand the difference between " Inkjet " and " Laser " labels.

Inkjet will: wick oil from the fuser on color machines... causing jams - peels - excess glue on parts... not handle the heat of the fuser.

Laser will: not bond toner well on Inkjet labels.

I tried to instruct my customers to use a high quality Labels in their laser machines. Less glue... better bonding of toner to page.

but customers will do what they want and disregard any hints/tips they FEEL are not valid in their minds regardless of ANY/ALL warnings you show them.

we had a policy where.. we provided a sheet with all the proof - tips - hints ... they signed my copy (kept on file) and when we had a call about labels stuck in machine because they didn't adhere to the sheet they were dinged for labor and and parts required...

Many of them quickly turned their thoughts around when they got a bill for new drums/fuser/belt that had to be replaced -=IF=- we couldn't properly clean the glue/labels off.

I had created that sheet back in 2004 and carried it to my next place(s) of employ.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Running label sheets through more than once isn't tolerated. Customers are informed to run them through once and if they continue to try to run them through multiple times, they will be charged time and materials. We have simply had way too many issues with label sheets being run through machines multiple times.

Also, we do have a recommended list of labels that we make the customer aware of in case they try to go with super cheap labels that cause all sorts of issues. I am not sure if Ricoh makes that list public however. Avery is on the list of good stuff to use.

What are the labels being used for? Address for an envelope? If so, an alternate method might be to try to print envelopes from the bypass tray. This can go well at times or exceedingly bad too but it might be worth a shot in this particular case.

Off the top of my head their label paper was something like Lyreco L7 163, I think.
    The whole situation would have been resolved in 10 seconds if the customer said 'we have just tried putting labels through and this happened' and I could say yes that is because you aren't meant to put the same page through that many times. The problem comes from them getting unbelievably lucky for x amount of time without it happeneing.
    I have pushed to sales now and there is someone arranging to speak to them about upgrading machine and us putting in something small for the labels.
    I would imagine if they are using labels for addresses then they wouldn't even need to survive for 6 months, maybe 2 at the most.
    1 of them actually hand writes her labels so no problem for her! As long as I am involved in the sales decision making of what to put in there we will be good.
    I pretty much 99.9% knew how this post would go but I wanted to know all of your opinions and experiences about it. They are always valued.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

For this application, the best sales approach would be to bury into the cost of a new copier, a free low end Direct thermal label printer like a Dymo with one years worth of labels.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Klydon View Post
    Running label sheets through more than once isn't tolerated. Customers are informed to run them through once and if they continue to try to run them through multiple times, they will be charged time and materials. We have simply had way too many issues with label sheets being run through machines multiple times.

Also, we do have a recommended list of labels that we make the customer aware of in case they try to go with super cheap labels that cause all sorts of issues. I am not sure if Ricoh makes that list public however. Avery is on the list of good stuff to use.

What are the labels being used for? Address for an envelope? If so, an alternate method might be to try to print envelopes from the bypass tray. This can go well at times or exceedingly bad too but it might be worth a shot in this particular case.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayPaul View Post
    Off the top of my head their label paper was something like Lyreco L7 163, I think.
    The whole situation would have been resolved in 10 seconds if the customer said 'we have just tried putting labels through and this happened' and I could say yes that is because you aren't meant to put the same page through that many times. The problem comes from them getting unbelievably lucky for x amount of time without it happeneing.
    I have pushed to sales now and there is someone arranging to speak to them about upgrading machine and us putting in something small for the labels.
    I would imagine if they are using labels for addresses then they wouldn't even need to survive for 6 months, maybe 2 at the most.
    1 of them actually hand writes her labels so no problem for her! As long as I am involved in the sales decision making of what to put in there we will be good.
    I pretty much 99.9% knew how this post would go but I wanted to know all of your opinions and experiences about it. They are always valued.
    Part of the problem is that some of the software out there that can print labels allows you select which label positions on the sheet you wish to use.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts CopyBats's Avatar

Going to say this again for good measure. Sometimes you've just got to tell the customer as it is. Reusing labels is Russian roulette. Just because a machine can do it doesn't mean it was designed to.

Had a label come off and multiple labels went off. Fusing unit and ITB belt were gone
    If it works, don't touch it.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CopyBats View Post
    Going to say this again for good measure. Sometimes you've just got to tell the customer as it is. Reusing labels is Russian roulette. Just because a machine can do it doesn't mean it was designed to.

Had a label come off and multiple labels went off. Fusing unit and ITB belt were gone
    I have had martini drums with less than 10K on them destroyed by labels. Customers learn quickly when they have to pay for such things. Anytime I have had to remove labels stuck where they did not belong I have taken pictures before starting to remove them.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I feel you, bro. My customers have the "I've always done like this and no problem" philosophy. I try every option, like different thickness settings or different brands of paper, until proved it all and finally they understand they cannot do it, or sometimes they find the right paper brand or setting that is doable. Just try your best to make them understand... or try-and-error proof a factible option. As you get paid for your time...