Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    MP C306_406 Black Drum units

I couldn't find any earlier discussions on this, and right now I'm just curious about this....
    I only have a couple of MP C306's out and I don't really expect to resell too many more, but since the C307's and 407's also use the same units, I thought I'd ask:
    I don't have any of C406's available to me to fool around with, so I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a mod to make the C406 K-PCDU work (or fit) into the C306?
    I'm asking because my cost on the C406 PCDU is about 40% cheaper than the C306.
    I can't imagine the PCDU's can be much different? (This sort of stuff always grinds my gears!)

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: MP C306_406 Black Drum units

Yeah, kind of weird when it comes to PM parts. Not just for the C306/406, but also the C307.
    PSG says 60k PM cycle for C306, and 90k PM cycle for the C406. WHY!!?
    PSG says C306 and C406 PCDU's are incompatible, yet they each have expected yields of 60K - even though the C406 is supposed to have a 90k PM cycle.
    PSG says Fusing units should go to 120k, and they offer a fusing sleeve (For C406 ONLY), that is to be replaced every 60k (except for when fusing unit reaches 120k - then you should replace with the "C406 fusing unit with yield of 120k") - even though the C406 has a 90K PM cycle. Also, seems to be a ripoff to buy a fusing unit that should go 120k, but as stated in the manual "you should replace the fusing sleeve every 60k". In my mind, that combination of a 120k fusing unit and a 60k replacement sleeve should go to somewhere close to 180k!!
    It makes absolutely no sense to me. This is one way the manufacturers try robbing people in my opinion.
    The only thing rated for 90k PM cycle is the Waste Toner bottle.
    I've been a little irked by this before. Thanks for bringing it up again.
    I will see what machines we have sitting around to test the drum units though.

Haha.....seems I really struck a nerve there
    But you're exactly right! Basically identical machines and parts that have different consumables for one reason only imo: to gouge the end user!
    Sorry to get your blood pressure up so early in the week Frohn
    I appreciate the insight!

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    Yeah, kind of weird when it comes to PM parts. Not just for the C306/406, but also the C307.
    PSG says 60k PM cycle for C306, and 90k PM cycle for the C406. WHY!!?
    PSG says C306 and C406 PCDU's are incompatible, yet they each have expected yields of 60K - even though the C406 is supposed to have a 90k PM cycle.
    PSG says Fusing units should go to 120k, and they offer a fusing sleeve (For C406 ONLY), that is to be replaced every 60k (except for when fusing unit reaches 120k - then you should replace with the "C406 fusing unit with yield of 120k") - even though the C406 has a 90K PM cycle. Also, seems to be a ripoff to buy a fusing unit that should go 120k, but as stated in the manual "you should replace the fusing sleeve every 60k". In my mind, that combination of a 120k fusing unit and a 60k replacement sleeve should go to somewhere close to 180k!!
    It makes absolutely no sense to me. This is one way the manufacturers try robbing people in my opinion.
    The only thing rated for 90k PM cycle is the Waste Toner bottle.
    I've been a little irked by this before. Thanks for bringing it up again.
    I will see what machines we have sitting around to test the drum units though.
    One thing that I have noticed with low end Ricoh models is that the "PM" count was for the fusing unit. The PCU replacement count was frequently less and replaced as a supply item.

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Haha.....seems I really struck a nerve there
    But you're exactly right! Basically identical machines and parts that have different consumables for one reason only imo: to gouge the end user!
    Sorry to get your blood pressure up so early in the week Frohn
    I appreciate the insight!
    My blood pressure didn't go up. It's always HIGH!
    With a Wife, 3 dogs, a cat, 2 daughters, a baby on the way, my side jobs, crazy family members and the normal "stress" of life and this job, I doubt the BP ever goes "down".

Retired 10,000+ Posts

My blood pressure didn't go up. It's always HIGH!
    With a Wife, 3 dogs, a cat, 2 daughters, a baby on the way, my side jobs, crazy family members and the normal "stress" of life and this job, I doubt the BP ever goes "down".
    Frohn, Sandy is one of the good guys from Canada.

I joke about the Blood pressure. Hopefully I'm still young enough to not have to worry about that for a while, and I usually stay pretty even-keeled under high stress.
    Sandmanmac always seems to have some good input I've noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Frohn, Sandy is one of the good guys from Canada.
    I joke about the Blood pressure. Hopefully I'm still young enough to not have to worry about that for a while, and I usually stay pretty even-keeled under high stress.
    Sandmanmac always seems to have some good input I've noticed.
    Thanks for the kind words fellas!
    I do try to give as much input as I can, but as 1 man operation, I rely a lot on, and appreciate very much, the expertise of techs like you who are at an entirely different level than I .
    I honestly could not continue in this business without the generosity and knowledge of many members here!

Thought I would jump in on this. Firstly about the PCDU's they seem to be 99% identical but I also don't know what the last 1% is they changed to make them incompatible with eachother, I'm pretty sure you can swap the chip but that isn't exactly ideal, so maybe like with the B224-2042 drums that used to fit nearly every MPC model you just need to swap some cable over or something stupidly easy. I've never had the time or the resources to play around and find out.
    Also +10 on the helping eachother on here, I have been helped with some really difficult situations/problems by asking people on here and sometimes you get advised things you would never think of but you try them and they work. Then it makes you want to come on here more to try and help other people to 'repay the favour' in a way. Then it grows and your knowledge grows with it. This is a great site and a great community. Especially for people like me who slaved his way up to manager without any real training, I basically just got thrown into the field and told to 'figure it out' in fact my manager didn't even tell me for the first 3 years that there were field service manuals that show you how to take apart machines. So every job that invovled taking a machine apart was just completely new to me. They may as well have said this customers car engine started smoking, take it apart and find the fault.
    If I ever get time to look at these drums properly and can find a simple mod i'll post it on here. I'm always interested in the little (annoying) differences Ricoh put on parts to make sure you can't buy the cheaper one to put in a different machine.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zeldaman's Avatar

Hi there!
    The only thing thatīs different is the cable. Carefully take the sensor-cable from the 306, and change it.
    Greetings...