Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

2852 Series False Add Toner

In the last six months I've had a pile of these with fairly low volumes (150,000 or fewer clicks) all start giving me add toner prompts which could only be resolved by replacing the toner hopper.

Pulling the old ones apart and cleaning them out, the mylars were in good shape, the toner path looks clear, and the spring trigger at exit to the PCU is smooth. Is there something flaky in the design for this one, or does anyone have a regular time frame for replacing them as these models are a little old now.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: 2852 Series False Add Toner

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    In the last six months I've had a pile of these with fairly low volumes (150,000 or fewer clicks) all start giving me add toner prompts which could only be resolved by replacing the toner hopper.

Pulling the old ones apart and cleaning them out, the mylars were in good shape, the toner path looks clear, and the spring trigger at exit to the PCU is smooth. Is there something flaky in the design for this one, or does anyone have a regular time frame for replacing them as these models are a little old now.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
    I have had the same experience and replacing the toner tray resolved it.
    The mp2550 toner tray also works in this model and I have used it on mine.
    Of course you want to already be sure the drum and developer are in good shape and they are using genuine Ricoh toner as well.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

One thing to check is to see if the PCDU is full of toner from the toner hopper. (IE, pull it out, open the shutter and if you see toner piled up, that is an issue). It doesn't happen a lot, but when the PCDU is close to failure, toner will pile up because there are issues with the PCDU and the machine thinks it needs more toner and so keeps adding it.

I am surprised the mylars are not off as that does happen as well and the hopper is unable to push toner to the PCDU. One other thing to check is to make sure the hopper is pulling the cap out of the toner bottle.

I have not had to replace a lot of toner hoppers and the most common reason is because the customer broke the green lever when the metal pin gets out of alignment.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

The biggest problem I have encountered with these toner trays all the way back to the Aficio 220/270 has been the inner cap of the old bottle sticking in the toner chuck.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Is toner motor ok (does machine turns toner bottle)?
    the hole at toner hopper that drops toner to drum unit is ok?
    At drum unit does coaxial axis rotate ?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Most common causes;
    - Toner hopper packed - disassemble and clean out (rarely have to replace).
    - PCDU backed up (either from excessive toner adding, or developer gears stripped) - replace PCDU.
    - Faulty TD sensor - Replace PCDU.
    Omertà

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

More fun for this: I've had two reports on hoppers failing in the last three days. All of the machines are using genuine toner and parts: I've been banging around Ricoh equipment for close to fifteen years so I've seen just how much of an issue third-party parts can be. I'm going to take the easy route and replace both of the hoppers, and then do an 'autopsy' on the two to see just what may have caused them to fail.

I can remember getting false add toner prompts quite a bit on some of the older models in this series (5622/5627, AF 2022/2027) but until this recent rash it had always been something simple like a missing Viking hat in the toner bottle, or an extra one in the hopper, or even the little plastic piece that opens the shutter on the PCU for toner feeding broken off.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    Most common causes;
    - Toner hopper packed - disassemble and clean out (rarely have to replace).
    - PCDU backed up (either from excessive toner adding, or developer gears stripped) - replace PCDU.
    - Faulty TD sensor - Replace PCDU.
    What i have seen happen with this style PCU is the hole through which developer passes from the mixing auger to the development roller supply auger becomes clogged and the developer stacks up at the back of the mixing auger. This binds the auger and normally causes the gears to strip. What I have seen with the xx52 and xx53 models is it can actually cause a main motor lock and even strip out one of the nylon gears in the gear box that the motor drives.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I have had the mechanism, inside the toner hopper that grabs the toner bottle plug, fail. It would either not open fully or just not grab at all. Most of the time, I just replace the hopper. Cleaning it only made it last a few more weeks before it happened again.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Notrons View Post
    I have had the mechanism, inside the toner hopper that grabs the toner bottle plug, fail. It would either not open fully or just not grab at all. Most of the time, I just replace the hopper. Cleaning it only made it last a few more weeks before it happened again.
    To properly clean them you have to disassemble them or at least remove the entire toner chuck. All toner build up on t he shaft of the chuck needs to be wiped off and where it slides through.