Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Ricoh 4055 for heavy scanning?

I am looking sell a customer a back up copier to a Canon IR5055 that does mortgage closings. Will this copier's feeder handle packages of almost 200 mixed letter and legal originals reliably? The scanning is probably over 200K per year. The copying and printing is less than 50K per year. The Ricoh will be used with less than 25K on the counter. I know the larger console Ricohs are probably a better choice but being not that familiar with Ricoh I want to keep it as simple as possible and feel the larger models will probably be too much to learn on the job without some training.
    I appreciate any help and opinions. Also are there any Ricoh or Savin techs in the Boston area willing to train me on the mid range copiers. I would of course pay you. My wholesaler seems to always have a abundance of good used Ricoh's and few good Canon's which is my preference.

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh 4055 for heavy scanning?

Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    I am looking sell a customer a back up copier to a Canon IR5055 that does mortgage closings. Will this copier's feeder handle packages of almost 200 mixed letter and legal originals reliably? The scanning is probably over 200K per year. The copying and printing is less than 50K per year. The Ricoh will be used with less than 25K on the counter. I know the larger console Ricohs are probably a better choice but being not that familiar with Ricoh I want to keep it as simple as possible and feel the larger models will probably be too much to learn on the job without some training.
    I appreciate any help and opinions. Also are there any Ricoh or Savin techs in the Boston area willing to train me on the mid range copiers. I would of course pay you. My wholesaler seems to always have a abundance of good used Ricoh's and few good Canon's which is my preference.
    You are best to get a SPDF Df3100 that should handle the job ok
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mga View Post
    Is that an optional document feeder or a stand alone scanner?

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mga View Post
    Is that an optional document feeder or a stand alone scanner?
    Yes it's optional when buying new. They do two document feeders for this machine one is a raff and the df3100 is single scan feeder
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I will check to see which one it has. How would either one hold up with heavy scanning?
    Thanks for the info.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

I'm not sure what the big deal is here
    The volume you're talking about just isn't that "Heavy".
    Do the math: 200K = 16,600/ month = 800/ day on an average 20 day work month.
    I don't have any of those units out, but a quick check in the brochure (which you could easily be reviewing for yourself) indicates the single pass DF is standard on that model.
    Europe may be different??
    There's a reason that it has a capacity of 220 sheets.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    I'm not sure what the big deal is here
    The volume you're talking about just isn't that "Heavy".
    Do the math: 200K = 16,600/ month = 800/ day on an average 20 day work month.
    I don't have any of those units out, but a quick check in the brochure (which you could easily be reviewing for yourself) indicates the single pass DF is standard on that model.
    Europe may be different??
    There's a reason that it has a capacity of 220 sheets.
    I know the capacity is there but can it handle it without jamming frequently.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

I know the capacity is there but can it handle it without jamming frequently.
    Apparently you don't, because you were just advised to add a single pass DF that's actually standard in our country(s).
    My apologies for not being more clear.
    How is this?
    YES!

.....Although reliability does depend heavily on the service, and I'm not that confident in that aspect at this point

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Just bear in mind that the quality/condition of the documents being scanned will affect whether or not they are going to jam regardless of what make/model MFP you use. Recommended PM duty cycle for the pickup roller, feed belt and reverse roller is 120K. That number is the number of good quality original pages fed, not machine count. If you're looking at 200 page jobs, that is about 600 jobs. Regardless of what the customer uses, be ready to make regular visit to replace feed rubber and clean feeder sensors.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Apparently you don't, because you were just advised to add a single pass DF that's actually standard in our country(s).
    My apologies for not being more clear.
    How is this?
    YES!

.....Although reliability does depend heavily on the service, and I'm not that confident in that aspect at this point
    Maybe I wasn't more clear. The copier is a lease return with under 25K on the counter, so what ever feeder it has, that's what I get. The brochure says it's a SPDF that's standard, the suggestion to add it maybe an option in the UK but I don't think it was here in the US, but correct me if I am wrong.