Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Ricoh MP C3502 Duplex color counting

I have a customer that is printing duplex copies. Only one of the pages has color the other is b/w. The counts rack up as 2 color copies, rather than 1 color and 1 b/w. They get charged one rate for b/w and another rate for color. She has been doing a round about by copying in 2 passes, but would like to just print from computer. Is there a setting for such a thing?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh MP C3502 Duplex color counting

Quote Originally Posted by thurmmy View Post
    I have a customer that is printing duplex copies. Only one of the pages has color the other is b/w. The counts rack up as 2 color copies, rather than 1 color and 1 b/w. They get charged one rate for b/w and another rate for color. She has been doing a round about by copying in 2 passes, but would like to just print from computer. Is there a setting for such a thing?
    it's counting those pages due to page setup.

set 1st page color other page mono.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

All it takes is for 1 pixel to be color for the entire page to be counted as color when printing. If copying, do not use auto color detect. Use batch mode and set each side properly for either color or B/W as needed. If auto color detect even thinks it see color, the page will be counted as color. I have seen colored dust and ink marks that are near the edge that do not show on the copies due to border erase.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I just spoke to her and she says the page set up doesn't allow her to set the page different from page 1 to page 2. I am not on site and at this point just relaying the suggestions. Thanks for all your input.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts CopyBats's Avatar

No, there isn’t anything available for what she is looking to do with duplexing. If it’s single pages you could type in the pages you want to print as B/W and then send the remaining colour pages as a separate job.

To be frank, customer is looking for something convenient to her and trying to save money at the same time. This is not to say it’s a bad customer, but you’ll need to set the expectation that this is something they will have to do if they want to avoid 2 colour click charges.

As slimslob said it takes a speck of colour for the machine to count it as colour impression. I use the driver settings to make default to make grays by using black drum but depending on the shade of colour they use sometimes that isn’t enough either. You may won’t to consider setting up coverage counters but that is more work for you and I personally wouldn’t use them because at the end of day regardless of how little colour coverage, drums and devs are still being used.
    If it works, don't touch it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thank you, this is a church and they have been running their bulletins for 13 years accepting the color counts as such. New secretary was exploring the cost saving possibilities without the work of making a pass with color, reloading and then making 2nd side with another pass. Thanks all.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts CopyBats's Avatar

"New Secretary" made me shudder lol. Entry level position in the company, but they have the ability to make our lives hell if they want to. " I used to do it like this" "Why can't we just do it like this?".
    Makes me value all the lovely secretaries that don't go out of their way to create issues.
    If it works, don't touch it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

TELL her to do it all in B/W.
    IF money is always an issue with churches as it seems to be the norm,then go b/w..
    I cant see what a church would find dire need to print in color anyway...

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Sometimes Ricoh fixes things like that with firmware, it wouldn't hurt to update all of the firmware.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Firmware was all recently updated.