Thread: SPC 440DN

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    SPC 440DN

SPC 440DN

Hi, All. I am not hugely familiar with these. I have one that is calling for cyan toner, and a new toner cart would not load either. My next move is to replace the Cyan PDCU, unless someone has run in to this before and has seen another cause for the add toner condition.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts
    SPC 440DN

Re: SPC 440DN

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    Hi, All. I am not hugely familiar with these. I have one that is calling for cyan toner, and a new toner cart would not load either. My next move is to replace the Cyan PDCU, unless someone has run in to this before and has seen another cause for the add toner condition.
    Had to replace the toner hoppers on the spc430 same machine but check life on dev unit
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mga View Post
    Had to replace the toner hoppers on the spc430 same machine but check life on dev unit
    Truth. These are notorious for this as is the MP C300/400 mfp units that share the toner add design. The toner coil is a little thin plastic coil that if there is any resistance at all it turns into a little pretzel and stops feeding toner. Common across many Ricoh products actually.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

i have bought and sold a bunch of the spc430/spc435/spc440,mpc300.mpc401 and have gutted a bunch for parts and
    would be happy to service these all the time...
    I would first look at what the vt reading is and i know on the mp2800 series it goes to 4.8 or so when undertoned and
    machine needing a toner pump..I think normal is 2.5 but ck the other 3 colors for reference..
    If doing a forced toner does not change vt I would think toner hopper as others have expressed...

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    SPC 440DN

Ok, I found the tube with the coil in it that supplies the dev unit. I am working on cyan. My question is, do I have to remove the black base plate that the toners sit on to get the coil tube out? I have gotten to a point where I can pull the tube out the back about 2 inches, and it won't go any further. I'm figuring if I have to pull the drive motor plate assembly out, which is a nightmare in other models, I might as well throw the damn thing in the trash.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts
    SPC 440DN

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    Ok, I found the tube with the coil in it that supplies the dev unit. I am working on cyan. My question is, do I have to remove the black base plate that the toners sit on to get the coil tube out? I have gotten to a point where I can pull the tube out the back about 2 inches, and it won't go any further. I'm figuring if I have to pull the drive motor plate assembly out, which is a nightmare in other models, I might as well throw the damn thing in the trash.
    You have to completely strip the back out just follow the manual and you will be ok the spc version is easier than the mpc series because there's no scanner if you need manual just request on correct forum I can sort
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    SPC 440DN

Looks like today is a good Friday, too. We are just going to swap it out.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Others are spot on in terms of the toner hopper.

I have done several of these and they are not hard if you are familiar with doing toner hoppers on other machines. In fact, this is one of the easier machines to do toner hoppers on. The only wrinkle is you have to take all cartridge holders off the top because they are linked and in the way of the hoppers, but it isn't that hard for a tech. Just extra screws.

Overall, these are good workhorse printers, so I would hate to see one become a casualty because of something like that, but to each their own.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    SPC 440DN

I have been working on it off and on since we brought it in, and I believe I have addressed all the issues. Once I pulled the bottle holders off I vacuumed the tubes, and replaced the toner supply motor for cyan. I have been running it for a week now with no issues. The company bought 3 of these, and they had broken covers and a gigantic red "X" marked on them, so they were broken from the get-go. I was asked to see if I could make one good one out of the 3, and now it looks like I have made 2 good ones. I am used to working on used equipment, so no biggie. Thanks for all the replies.
    Last edited by mikadonovan; 05-08-2020 at 04:32 PM.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

[QUOTE=mikadonovan;1469098]I have been working on it off and on since we brought it in, and I believe I have addressed all the issues. Once I pulled the bottle holders off I vacuumed the tubes, and replaced the toner supply motor for cyan. I have been running it for a week now with no issues. The company bought 3 off these, and they had broken covers and a gigantic red "X" marked on them, so they were broken from the get-go. I was asked to see if I could make one good one out of the 3, and now it looks like I have made 2 good ones. I am used to working on used equipment, so no biggie. Thanks for all the replies.[/QUOT

If you worked on mpc300 to mpc401 same engine.
    I bought about 50 of these c430/c440/c435 over the last few years.
    sometimes i just gut them as if you pull td sensor drums./dev unit interchange.
    The toner is the same just bigger tubes almost double.
    I stopped selling them as moving 125 lb printers by myself became comical.....
    I CANT CHANCE DESTROYING MY BACK ANYMORE...