Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    MPC2551 Jam code J001 Doc feeder

I am a Konica production tech primarily and deal a much smaller amount with Ricoh's. I picked up a new customer recently that has a Ricoh MPC2551. They called me regarding a SC400 error. I cleaned the ID sensors and that seemed to clear that issue, but afterwards I started running the density adjustments in the maintenance screen. It would let me scan one print out for the test. I would then go to do the next resolution test and the machine would show a J001 in the doc feeder that I couldn't clear. Only way to continue was to cycle the power. Customer just called and said they now have a hard failure J001 and can't use the machine. What should I be looking for? Service manual only states "Original is stack at power-on" WTF does that mean? It's akin to "PC load letter"
    Thanks in advance.

Lee

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: MPC2551 Jam code J001 Doc feeder

A J001 is a jam detected at power on. Though that is a little misleading to those not trained on Ricoh. What it actually means is a jam discovered on resumption of operation or power on. It could be a bit of paper hung on a jam sensor or a bad jam sensor. It can also mean a defective door switch for a door that has to be opened to remove the jam. Frequently it is a door that was opened and not fully closed. If it occurs during operation it is a door switch that thinks the door was open while making prints. The small push button switches are subject to dust contamination.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Thank you! That is great information. So apparently Ricoh is very vague. KM's idle jam codes will pinpoint exactly which sensor it thinks is seeing the jam.
    I appreciate your help.

Lee

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wjurls View Post
    Thank you! That is great information. So apparently Ricoh is very vague. KM's idle jam codes will pinpoint exactly which sensor it thinks is seeing the jam.
    I appreciate your help.

Lee
    So do Ricoh's. J001 is not an actual jam. It is more a general malfunction code for door switch problems. If you go into System SP mode and print the SMC logging data SP 7507 lists the last 10 actual machine jams. SP 7508 lists the last 10 original jams. J001 is not listed. SP 7504 list the totals for each locations. The location listed in SP 7507-001 shows the location of the last actual machine jam before the J001. Tells you where to look for a scrap of paper.

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wjurls View Post
    I am a Konica production tech primarily and deal a much smaller amount with Ricoh's. I picked up a new customer recently that has a Ricoh MPC2551. They called me regarding a SC400 error. I cleaned the ID sensors and that seemed to clear that issue, but afterwards I started running the density adjustments in the maintenance screen. It would let me scan one print out for the test. I would then go to do the next resolution test and the machine would show a J001 in the doc feeder that I couldn't clear. Only way to continue was to cycle the power. Customer just called and said they now have a hard failure J001 and can't use the machine. What should I be looking for? Service manual only states "Original is stack at power-on" WTF does that mean? It's akin to "PC load letter"
    Thanks in advance.

Lee
    For the Sc400 you will also need to clean both side of a metal plate on the ITB assy plate above sensors.

Make sure all sensors are clean in df
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Thanks for all the help gentlemen. I discovered that the spring for the actuator that is attached to the right doc feeder hinge was off, so the lever would stick.

Got it all up and running well.

Lee