Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: MP 5055 won't detect new toner

You might have a broken auger in the toner hopper. I have had this happen twice in the past year with those models. There is a small plastic linkage to the auger that moves toner from the hopper to the PCU. If a toner rock gets stuck in there, it will cause toner to back up and snap that linkage. The only way to fix it is to replace the whole toner hopper. Real pain to troubleshoot and replace.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    MP 5055 won't detect new toner

Quote Originally Posted by Notrons View Post
    You might have a broken auger in the toner hopper. I have had this happen twice in the past year with those models. There is a small plastic linkage to the auger that moves toner from the hopper to the PCU. If a toner rock gets stuck in there, it will cause toner to back up and snap that linkage. The only way to fix it is to replace the whole toner hopper. Real pain to troubleshoot and replace.
    One of the other techs mentioned in my company they had that auger break as well but their machine made a grinding noise when the toner bottle went rotate. Mine rotates fine and the copier will not even attempt to rotate the bottle when replacing. They actually cut the broke part of the auger off and it is still working that way.

Apparently you can get at that hopper if you take the bridge unit out and the belly cover and not have to rip all the crap out the back of the machine.
    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
    Its all shits and giggles until some body giggles and shits...

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    One of the other techs mentioned in my company they had that auger break as well but their machine made a grinding noise when the toner bottle went rotate. Mine rotates fine and the copier will not even attempt to rotate the bottle when replacing. They actually cut the broke part of the auger off and it is still working that way.

Apparently you can get at that hopper if you take the bridge unit out and the belly cover and not have to rip all the crap out the back of the machine.
    I concur. Bridge unit, cover under it and take pcu out and it wiggles out once all the screws are removed. Need a stubby driver for a couple of them. The waste toner drive in the back is a pain. Boards have to come off and all kinds of stuff.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Did someone forget to properly initialize the machine upon setup??

From The manual:
    While the front cover is open, turn on the main power switch.
    If the front cover is closed when turning on the main power switch, the machine starts a normal
    toner supply.
    7. Enter the SP mode, and then press [System Sp].
    8. Set SP3-510-031 (ImgQltyAdj :ExeFlag: Init Toner Replenish: K) to “1”, and then press “#” on the
    operation panel.
    9. Press [EXIT] to end the SP mode.
    10. Close the front cover.
    11. The machine automatically starts the initial toner supply. The initialization message appears.
    12. Enter SP mode again, and then press [System Sp].
    13. Enter SP3-011-001 (Manual ProCon :Exe), and then press [Execute].
    Be sure to do this procedure in the main machine installation. Otherwise, abnormal images may
    be developed until the next process control.

14. Press [Exit] when completed.
    15. Press [EXIT] to end the SP mode.

Note if the initial toner supply has not been performed
    If you start printing without executing the initial toner supply at installation, the machine goes to the toner end

condition
    even if the machine has plenty of toner in the toner bottle. Do the following procedure to perform the
    toner end recovery if the machine has entered the toner end condition.
    1. Open the front cover for five seconds or more.
    2. Make sure that the toner bottle is set properly.
    3. Close the front cover.
    4. The toner end recovery automatically starts
    Omertà

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    Did someone forget to properly initialize the machine upon setup??

From The manual:
    While the front cover is open, turn on the main power switch.
    If the front cover is closed when turning on the main power switch, the machine starts a normal
    toner supply.
    7. Enter the SP mode, and then press [System Sp].
    8. Set SP3-510-031 (ImgQltyAdj :ExeFlag: Init Toner Replenish: K) to “1”, and then press “#” on the
    operation panel.
    9. Press [EXIT] to end the SP mode.
    10. Close the front cover.
    11. The machine automatically starts the initial toner supply. The initialization message appears.
    12. Enter SP mode again, and then press [System Sp].
    13. Enter SP3-011-001 (Manual ProCon :Exe), and then press [Execute].
    Be sure to do this procedure in the main machine installation. Otherwise, abnormal images may
    be developed until the next process control.

14. Press [Exit] when completed.
    15. Press [EXIT] to end the SP mode.

Note if the initial toner supply has not been performed
    If you start printing without executing the initial toner supply at installation, the machine goes to the toner end

condition
    even if the machine has plenty of toner in the toner bottle. Do the following procedure to perform the
    toner end recovery if the machine has entered the toner end condition.
    1. Open the front cover for five seconds or more.
    2. Make sure that the toner bottle is set properly.
    3. Close the front cover.
    4. The toner end recovery automatically starts
    I thought about that when I first saw the title of the thread but then noticed from his first post of the thread that the machine has over 240K on it. As the xx54 were the last model out before I retire from actively repairing, is there any way that he may have done inadvertently something to erase the toner supply initialization?