Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Is this true.....

But i like the idea!
    I think i'm going to use this hoax to scare of our customers...
    Bad as i am ....

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Is this true.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bbb View Post
    But i like the idea!
    I think i'm going to use this hoax to scare of our customers...
    Bad as i am ....
    Back in the days of coated paper electorstats and paper pirates if we got a copy quality from a customer who had not purchased paper recently I would take the paper that we sold with me. The first thing I would do was teat the machine with the paper they had and also with ours. When the quality was good with our paper and crap with the paper they had I would give them the choice of paying me to attempt to adjust the machine, use only our paper or call who ever they bought the paper from and see if they would send someone to adjust their machine. Unapproved supplies were not covered by maintenance contracts.

IMC Series
    Attached Files Attached Files

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Polarbear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    This has been fought in courts many times and the OEM always lost. They have to allow aftermarket toners to be used in their machines! But the question is how the OEM's "sabotage" their machines so you have nothing but issues with aftermarket supplies.....
    Yip. HP amoungst others ended in court with a class law suit some time ago. The argument was that once the warranty was over, the customer should have the choice of toner/ink supplier. HP lost and had to amend the firmware on all their devices to allow for this.

They adapted the firmware to detect and keep count of this (so should the customer buy compatibles while warranty is still in place - which allowed them to void any warranty claim arising from this condition).

Ricoh must be careful not falling in this same hole!

From the PDF it looks like they want to control the toner by region like the DVD region code of old... not sure why...
    Press the GREEN button!!

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Is this true.....

Quote Originally Posted by semi View Post
    IMC Series
    In a few years that is going create major problems for those companies that purchase used equipment and sell it to third world markets.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Back in the days of coated paper electorstats and paper pirates if we got a copy quality from a customer who had not purchased paper recently I would take the paper that we sold with me. The first thing I would do was teat the machine with the paper they had and also with ours. When the quality was good with our paper and crap with the paper they had I would give them the choice of paying me to attempt to adjust the machine, use only our paper or call who ever they bought the paper from and see if they would send someone to adjust their machine. Unapproved supplies were not covered by maintenance contracts.
    This reminds me of the era of the Canon liquid machines, which I grew up on.

They were touted as "plain paper" machines, which they technically were, but needed a hard finish paper with a very low rag content. Not only was CQ terrble with the wrong papaer, but if enough of it passed through the machine, the developer would get contaminated, and would require a flush. (It would actually turn from black to a milky grey if it was bad enough.)

Canon certainly did sell the paper, but we always sold a Hammermill stock that met the specs, and worked perfectly well.

Needless to say, we had more than a few customers complain that it was NOT a plain paper copier.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Is this true.....

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    This reminds me of the era of the Canon liquid machines, which I grew up on.

They were touted as "plain paper" machines, which they technically were, but needed a hard finish paper with a very low rag content. Not only was CQ terrble with the wrong papaer, but if enough of it passed through the machine, the developer would get contaminated, and would require a flush. (It would actually turn from black to a milky grey if it was bad enough.)

Canon certainly did sell the paper, but we always sold a Hammermill stock that met the specs, and worked perfectly well.

Needless to say, we had more than a few customers complain that it was NOT a plain paper copier.
    Savin used to sell plain paper fluid toner models. If I remember they were the 770, 760 and 750. I think it was the 750 that was referred to as the black baby coffin.

Savin used to sell plain paper fluid toner models. If I remember they were the 770, 760 and 750. I think it was the 750 that was referred to as the black baby coffin.
    I think Saxon was another player involved.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

The Canon models were the NP-70/L7, NP-50, NP-60/30, and the NP-80.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Is this true.....

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    The Canon models were the NP-70/L7, NP-50, NP-60/30, and the NP-80.
    The Bakersfield Canon, American Business Machines, had me look at an NP-60 to see if I could adapt a coin op to it and maybe a large capacity feed system to it. We were making them for the Royal RBC1 and the Savin 770. They couldn't guarantee my boss enough orders to be viable. We did the Savins mainly for a dealer out of somewhere in Texas that had a huge business in coin ops. Used to use the Olivetti Coinfax, a coin operated version of the Copia2 and later the Copia3.