Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

More Detailed Lines/streaks problem

I've always found the answers to all my problems on this board and am thankful for it. This one is just a little too weird and I can't find the answer no matter how much I search.

Ricoh MP-C3503
    total 95k Color images
    total 43k B&W images

The attached picture is of two pages. On the left you will see lines running from the top of the page down about 3 inches, those coincide with the bottom of the dark blue box at the top of the other page. Only on this print job is there ever a problem. But this is printed often and many 100 at a time, every few weeks.

Print is set up with the paper feeding wide and short (11x8.5), The Printer Tray 2 is set to "Thick Paper 2" which is correct for this Paper Thickness, Exact Index 110lb,199gm paper. Printed "180 degree rotation" to be able to print edge to edge on the 3 most important edges. This allows the white margin to exist on the back side of the pages where there is no graphic at the edge, or at least it is on the least visible pages with graphics. The marks are almost exactly 2 inches apart.

The obvious part of the Diagnosis is that it is residual toner on the drum. It is the black drum.

Is it a problem from printing to the very edge of the 110 index paper? None of the other colors that print to the edge seem to be effected.
    Will it be fixed, long term with a drum replacement?
    Is it the cleaning blade?
    Is there something else?

as a Side Issue, Client has the SR3150 Finisher. Intended to have these saddle stapled and folded. But, the saddle stapler just errors out when it's asked to saddle staple across the long side. And it won't saddle staple anything more than middle thickness.

If I can't resolve this is there another machine that would actually do this job?
    1. Print true edge to edge on all edges?
    2, Saddle staple a very few pages of thick 110 index card stock?
    3. Saddle staple 8.5x11 in the long dimension.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: More Detailed Lines/streaks problem

Is the stock fed long or short edge feed, have you tried replacing fuser.
    No Office printer will do full edge to edge.
    Will only saddle staple short edge fed stock.
    Will not saddle staple heavy stock.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

total 95k Color images
    total 43k B&W images

I see two major problems. 43K is not the total on the B/W PCDU. It is only the count of black only usage. Total usage for the Black PCDU would be 138K. Your color ratio is 68.8%. Recommended color ratio for the MP C3503 is only 30%. Your color ratio would indicate that you need a production machine but your total usage does not support the equipment cost for production.

It looks like your main problem right now is a dirty black charge roll. You might even see rings around the charge roller that match the lines on the prints. There are a few posts on cleaning the charge rollers. There is also a bulletin on one of the models. You should also clean out all lube bar dust and toner buildup. If the lube bar has less than 1/8 inch remaining at either end it is time to replace.

The settings in the attached may help once the charge roller is clean. It helps prevent toner buildup on the charge roller by slightly reducing toner concentration in the developer and offset by slightly increasing the amount of toner transferred from the drum to the ITB. I may also reduce toner usage and keep the inside cleaner.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by davel View Post
    Is the stock fed long or short edge feed, have you tried replacing fuser.
    No Office printer will do full edge to edge.
    Will only saddle staple short edge fed stock.
    Will not saddle staple heavy stock.
    Stock is fed long edge.so the lines are parallel to axis of the drum.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by owelesstax View Post
    Stock is fed long edge.so the lines are parallel to axis of the drum.
    Then that would mean they are most likely the result of cleaning blade chatter.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    total 95k Color images
    total 43k B&W images

I see two major problems. 43K is not the total on the B/W PCDU. It is only the count of black only usage. Total usage for the Black PCDU would be 138K. Your color ratio is 68.8%. Recommended color ratio for the MP C3503 is only 30%. Your color ratio would indicate that you need a production machine but your total usage does not support the equipment cost for production.
    I agree the color use is higher than ideal. The machine was used and they don't need it to last it's multi-million copy life. Like a good we'll used car as long as it is reliable they cover inscheduled payments, and when the unscheduled payment is more than it's worth they'll junk it and buy another good we'll used car.

It looks like your main problem right now is a dirty black charge roll. You might even see rings around the charge roller that match the lines on the prints. There are a few posts on cleaning the charge rollers.
    I'll check the charge roller. But these lines are parallel to the axis of the charge roller, not in line with a particular point along the length of the roller.

There is also a bulletin on one of the models. You should also clean out all lube bar dust and toner buildup. If the lube bar has less than 1/8 inch remaining at either end it is time to replace .
    That'll be what I do measure the lube bar. Thank you for the wealth of information, for this post and all the other posts that I've found in the past. And I'll make the adjustments you suggested below.

The settings in the attached may help once the charge roller is clean. It helps prevent toner buildup on the charge roller by slightly reducing toner concentration in the developer and offset by slightly increasing the amount of toner transferred from the drum to the ITB. I may also reduce toner usage and keep the inside cleaner.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

One other thing to check. measure the distance between the lines on the prints. Then see if it matches the circumference of the charge roller. If it does,cleaning the roller might correct it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

cleaning unit, as Slim mentioned before.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts UNICORNico's Avatar

Question Re: More Detailed Lines/streaks problem

If you have cleaned the "Charge Roller", and the defect still appears, check the "Drum" margin corresponding to that part of the print.
    It may be marked in some repair if the drum turned badly and the cleaning sheet was not lubricated enough, it was marked, I would recommend replacing it.
    And had cases like this, and only when I demand quality/definition to show the defect.
    "ALL WILL BE WELL" The battle cry that most inspires me to follow, from the DC's Comic character that I admire the most. And I feel satisfied with being better every day, and with using Gnu-Linux as my usual Operating System.Apologies for my English, it's not my mother tongue and I'm helping the translator.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Replace the K PCU to fix the black line problem.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING