Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Windows Update Has blocked print cabability!

Re: Windows Update Has blocked print cabability!

Quote Originally Posted by UNICORNico View Post
    In principle if it only affects "PCL 5" versions, it would make the change, and you're done.
    As I said, I must have hundreds of users using PCL 5, but that doesn't mean I know exactly which ones. They're all over the city, so I have to wait for them to call (2 more this morning so far).
    And the issue is that I didn't create the problem- MS did, but now I'm responsible for explaining it and fixing it, and making very little or no $ for my efforts because they're mostly under contract, and it's a difficult line to walk (especially as an independent) because as far as they're concerned - their printer just doesn't work.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts UNICORNico's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    I'm responsible for explaining it and fixing it, and making very little or no $ for my efforts because they're mostly under contract, and it's a difficult line to walk (especially as an independent) because as far as they're concerned - their printer just doesn't work.
    I understand you perfectly.
    (Almost) All the customers, which the company I'm in, have, are contract maintenance.

I usually take advantage of any "silly" visit, for the small details and by the way I do a little "exposure". So the customer is more receptive to any adjustment or change that they have to make. Whether on computers or devices.
    But with the truth: "It's a driver's update...", "It's a review we've been notified of...", but explained in a way that's a detail.
    "ALL WILL BE WELL" The battle cry that most inspires me to follow, from the DC's Comic character that I admire the most. And I feel satisfied with being better every day, and with using Gnu-Linux as my usual Operating System.Apologies for my English, it's not my mother tongue and I'm helping the translator.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I ran into this 2 days ago on a 3352 series machine. Same 1909 version using the PCL5 driver. The error was "Printer Settings User Interface has stopped working" I downloaded the PCL6 driver and came up with the same error. Before I installed the PCL6 driver I deleted the PCL5 from the print system. I went to the Ricoh site and downloaded a PCL6 driver for a 3055 series machine and manual configured it to match the settings of the machine. All is working. I went to all the other workstations and just added the 3055 driver without deleting the original PCL5 driver. I believe the issue is with the old drivers. You did not state what model machine you were working on but the customer stated that her IT just did a update on all their computers. That stated..was the machine you were working on a newer model or something older like a 52 series machine?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brianneoe View Post
    I ran into this 2 days ago on a 3352 series machine. Same 1909 version using the PCL5 driver. The error was "Printer Settings User Interface has stopped working" I downloaded the PCL6 driver and came up with the same error. Before I installed the PCL6 driver I deleted the PCL5 from the print system. I went to the Ricoh site and downloaded a PCL6 driver for a 3055 series machine and manual configured it to match the settings of the machine. All is working. I went to all the other workstations and just added the 3055 driver without deleting the original PCL5 driver. I believe the issue is with the old drivers. You did not state what model machine you were working on but the customer stated that her IT just did a update on all their computers. That stated..was the machine you were working on a newer model or something older like a 52 series machine?
    Great info!
    This seems to be a growing problem with WIN10 updates.
    Ran into this day before yesterday.. on an oldasfuck HP COLOR ..
    I switched to PCL6..rebooted everything sent a print job everything running sweet.
    They called today with a cyan & yellow toners empty. Friends so I usually just run by.. stay and shoot da shit.. but was on a deck quote.. told them what to do.. they texted me back. Printing again and color has gotten better after they did color cali.
    Got the deck job.. should make about $700 all said n done. 2day job.Windows Update Has blocked print cabability!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brianneoe View Post
    You did not state what model machine you were working on but the customer stated that her IT just did a update on all their computers. That stated..was the machine you were working on a newer model or something older like a 52 series machine?
    I don't deal with the newest of new units, but it seems to be any/ every model where PCL 5e/5c is the driver as far as I can tell.
    So far I've responded to calls on:
    SP C431
    MP 305+
    MP301
    MP C3003/3503/4503, etc.
    MP2852/3352
    MP4002/5002

Today was a very frustrating day to say the least, and I expect it to continue for some time as more and more users systems are updated.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    I don't deal with the newest of new units, but it seems to be any/ every model where PCL 5e/5c is the driver as far as I can tell.
    So far I've responded to calls on:
    SP C431
    MP 305+
    MP301
    MP C3003/3503/4503, etc.
    MP2852/3352
    MP4002/5002

Today was a very frustrating day to say the least, and I expect it to continue for some time as more and more users systems are updated.
    sandy just keep billing them as this is not a "YOU" problem..
    The time to learn and figure this out cost all of us.
    Why not the customer calling for help

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

unable WSD:

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bbb View Post
    unable WSD:
    so i am curious what happens if you do that and customer tries to install win 10 drivers the lazy win 10 way?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fshead View Post
    so i am curious what happens if you do that and customer tries to install win 10 drivers the lazy win 10 way?
    When it can't find it using WSD Windows might search using TCPIP. The biggest problem would then be Microsoft's stupid Ricoh Class driver.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

We had 7 of these calls yesterday. I have been using a pcl6 for a while now, but we did have a handful using pcl5. Everyone affected so far with a problem was pcl5.
    One client with a MP 2550, I installed a regular pcl6 it did the same thing, "crashing" the print application. The generic windows driver on WSD also crashed.
    I finally used a Ricoh universal pcl6 driver, which worked.
    Everyone else, a standard pcl6 solved the problem.

The worst thing about these experiences, when their computer IT clown can't figure it out and starts pointing fingers at the Ricoh. OK....so 5 people can print fine, 2 cannot ! and that's a printer problem ? My ass...
    They look really stoopid when they spend hours on something that should take 10 minutes. (rant over)