Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Re: Windows Update Has blocked print cabability!

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    When it can't find it using WSD Windows might search using TCPIP. The biggest problem would then be Microsoft's stupid Ricoh Class driver.

OK
    I have been down that path with both wsd and windows ricoh class driver so slow..............
    I bit the bullet at first but then trained my accounts that i will bill for my time..
    it is only fair as i did not install it that way..

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

We bill for every call after the initial install. New computer, OS update, new application.. Cha Ching. Unless it's a hardware problem or a firmware glitch, billable. It's amazing how quickly IT folk point to the machine immediately when there is a problem and I LOVE proving them wrong..

I do honestly try my best on every install however to minimize having to go back (disable wsd, use newest driver, double check settings with customer ie duplex, color, finishing preferences, etc) that said it does happen occasionally.. Usually my call backs aren't print but scan to SMB related. Don't get me started on OS updates screwing up scanning. If a firmware update fixes it, fine. If I have to go further and help troubleshoot network and sharing permission and other issues, Cha Ching...

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skinnyb View Post
    We bill for every call after the initial install. New computer, OS update, new application.. Cha Ching. Unless it's a hardware problem or a firmware glitch, billable. It's amazing how quickly IT folk point to the machine immediately when there is a problem and I LOVE proving them wrong..

I do honestly try my best on every install however to minimize having to go back (disable wsd, use newest driver, double check settings with customer ie duplex, color, finishing preferences, etc) that said it does happen occasionally.. Usually my call backs aren't print but scan to SMB related. Don't get me started on OS updates screwing up scanning. If a firmware update fixes it, fine. If I have to go further and help troubleshoot network and sharing permission and other issues, Cha Ching...

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
    i am with you 100 %...
    I use to sell lease return laptops when laptops cost over $1000 and sold them cheap and i would be haunted for years for free tech support like i made
    a mint on the sale....
    I stopped selling laptops..........

We have had a handful of these calls last few days. They have all had a mix of PCL5/PCL6/Universal drivers. I have just suggested to the customers to uninstall the latest update. For liability reasons I do not have my techs make PC changes other than copier related settings (Drivers/scan to folder/ect).

Lets all hope that MS releases a patch soon.
    "Heavy music to the normal ear is nothing but a loud annoyance. Most people think of it as obnoxious, talentless music but to someone who really listens and is really in love with music knows how beautiful and amazing it can be" Tommy Rogers of Between The Buried and Me"

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Windows Update Has blocked print cabability!

Quote Originally Posted by MitchD View Post
    I have just suggested to the customers to uninstall the latest update..
    Lets all hope that MS releases a patch soon.
    That's the solution I started giving my customers today as well. It's easier than the headache of removing and reinstalling on hundreds of PC's.
    I made up a little instruction page that I can send them when they call, so I don't have to hold their hands through the entire process..

I'm considering adding the suggestion of going into advanced options in Windows update and suggesting they "pause" updates for up to 35 days, so that the update isn't just reinstalled in a few days, and with the hope that there's a patch by that time.

Any thoughts on that idea, or maybe a different/ better solution?

Maybe the Ricoh forum was exactly the right place for me to post this. Apparently Ricoh Devices are the most widely affected.
    I hope the part about MS "already working on a fix" is true!
    https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/0...560960-issues/

Retired 10,000+ Posts

A bit of a warning if you decide to try uninstalling the update. It is a temporary fix only. The next time that Microsoft pushes another security update it will also cause any uninstalled updates to install again. Friday I uninstalled KB4560960. Saturday night Microsoft pushed KB4497165, new version of Microsoft Edge. This morning when I was finally able to get Edge to stop and allow me to use my laptop, KB4560960 was once more installed.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    A bit of a warning if you decide to try uninstalling the update. It is a temporary fix only. The next time that Microsoft pushes another security update.
    Thanks Tim..
    That's why I'm suggesting, that they also pause future updates for a period of time with the hope that the fix is available by that time

KB4557957 for Windows 10 version 2004
    KB4560960 for Windows 10 version 1909
    KB4556813 (Cumulative Update) Windows Server 2016

Solution: Delete the KB.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CSI View Post
    Solution: Delete the KB.

Not a permanent solution. When Microsoft pushes the next Security Update it will also reinstall any missing Security Update.