Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Windows Update Has blocked print cabability!

Re: Windows Update Has blocked print cabability!

Quote Originally Posted by UNICORNico View Post
    Dear technical partners.

Today and had a case with this incident. On 4 computers:
    1o All computers were with "PCL 6", 64-bit version.
    2nd All with Update Patch. No one could print, because the program was suddenly closed.
    3o Only by uninstalling the Windows Update, the bug has been fixed.

So not only does it fail with PCL5, but pcL6 too, has anyone else happened to you?

Pd:
    Comment that on the 4 computers, the patch correction, I have been impossible to install it, so I derived it to the IT service of the company.

In all cases a "system credential failure" warning was skipped, any opinions on it?
    The program “suddenly closed” is actually the print spooler restarting.

I’ve never heard of this issue with the PCL6 driver (unless on a WSD port)

Last edited by copier tech; 06-30-2020 at 02:23 PM.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UNICORNico View Post
    Dear technical partners.

Today and had a case with this incident. On 4 computers:
    1o All computers were with "PCL 6", 64-bit version.
    2nd All with Update Patch. No one could print, because the program was suddenly closed.
    3o Only by uninstalling the Windows Update, the bug has been fixed.

So not only does it fail with PCL5, but pcL6 too, has anyone else happened to you?
    While my calls have been almost exclusively PCL5 drivers, I had a call last week where the print spooler was entirely killed, so all printers appeared offline - no matter the language - including PDF creators, MS OneNote, etc.
    restarting the spooler in a command prompt window was successful, but the spooler would shut down within 5-10 seconds.
    Again, uninstalling the update resolved it.
    I've manually installed the "FIX" and can confirm that it works, but I'm still just having customers uninstall the update and delay future updates until the automatic roll-out, which I suppose/ hope will happen on Tuesday, July 14th (??)

Senior Tech 250+ Posts UNICORNico's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    The program “suddenly closed” is actually the print spooler restarting.

I’ve never heard of this issue with the PCL6 driver (unless on a WSD port)
    The WSD is disabled.
    As and commented on, not only the print wizard is closed, but the application that is making use of file that was to be printed.
    As mentioned and had to kill the Windows update and pause updates.
    "ALL WILL BE WELL" The battle cry that most inspires me to follow, from the DC's Comic character that I admire the most. And I feel satisfied with being better every day, and with using Gnu-Linux as my usual Operating System.Apologies for my English, it's not my mother tongue and I'm helping the translator.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I've also been experiencing this problem with a few clients machines. MP161, MP2550,2851,3351

I found that changing the driver to PCL 6 version 4.28 resolved the problem. Make sure it's that 1 as Ricoh included 2 drivers with that download.

I prefer to use the actual machines IP ADDRESS and not WSD. This seems to work better for me

Hope this helps
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh man I wish I had looked at this sooner, I'm currently furloughed but been trying to offer remote help from home on occasion. I have a customer that used PCL 5c driver, purely because it has a very easy front page option that I cannot find on any other driver from the Ricoh website (for MPC 305) This has been a problem for them for a couple of weeks and now at least my suspicions were confirmed as usual it's a bloody windows update!! If windows stopped doing updates for 3 months I swear I would get 30% less calls a week.
    So if I phone this customer or at least their IT guy and get them to do a windows update check and install all of them, will the pcl 5c driver start working or are Microsoft still 'working on it' ?
    If they are still working on it at least I may be able to tell them to uninstall latest updates and refrain from any more until the bug is fixed.
    Oh yeh I forgot to mention, I also turn off WSD - Device on Web Image Monitor before every install. Take the 1 minute to do it and save yourself a bunch of calls in the future, totally worth it.
    Ricoh class drivers and WSD ports are absolute cancer to printing.
    Last edited by JayPaul; 07-02-2020 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPaul View Post
    Oh man I wish I had looked at this sooner, I'm currently furloughed but been trying to offer remote help from home on occasion. I have a customer that used PCL 5c driver, purely because it has a very easy front page option that I cannot find on any other driver from the Ricoh website (for MPC 305) This has been a problem for them for a couple of weeks and now at least my suspicions were confirmed as usual it's a bloody windows update!! If windows stopped doing updates for 3 months I swear I would get 30% less calls a week.
    So if I phone this customer or at least their IT guy and get them to do a windows update check and install all of them, will the pcl 5c driver start working or are Microsoft still 'working on it' ?
    If they are still working on it at least I may be able to tell them to uninstall latest updates and refrain from any more until the bug is fixed.
    PCL6 driver for the MP C305 is readily available, and actually just recently updated:
    Aficio MP C305SP/C305SPF Downloads | Ricoh Global

As mentioned there is an off band update, but it's not been rolled out publicly yet. It should be with the next update on July 14th, so for now, either uninstall the update, and pause future updates for a couple of weeks, OR install PCL6.

Unless they added the front page system like the pcl 5 driver had, the pcl 6 is useless to this customer. As I already tried both pcl 6 and universal drivers and even the PS driver. None of them do it for some reason on this model.
    Normal printing is fine but this one specific feature is what the customer uses most frequently.

Unless they added the front page system like the pcl 5 driver had, the pcl 6 is useless to this customer. As I already tried both pcl 6 and universal drivers and even the PS driver. None of them do it for some reason on this model.
    Normal printing is fine but this one specific feature is what the customer uses most frequently.
    Sorry, I initially misunderstood that.
    Uninstall the update until the next roll out, and all will be good

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Wait for the guys on Ricoh Technical UK to reply to your post, however a few of them are on furlough.

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

That was my fear, where as loads of guys are on here more frequently. Then found this thread pretty quick with a lot of input already.