Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Windows Update Has blocked print cabability!

Hey everyone.
    I had a call today from a client that was suddenly unable to print, but everyone else in the office (3-4 people) were working, but then another call, and then another. They were all in small offices that only had 2 or 3 people and the issue was only affecting 1 person in each office at the time, but that's going to change soon, because I figured that it must be a windows update that was causing the issue, and so I came home and installed all available updates on my own system, and once my PC restarted, I was unable to print to either of my Ricoh Devices!

It seems to be isolated it to Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 (KB4560960), because when I uninstalled it, the printing function was restored.

I'm about to do some more experimenting, but I thought that I'd post here as a head's up, and to hopefully have some input from some of the real IT guys (which I'm not) as to a possible easier solution to provide my customers other than reinstalling drivers as I expect my phone to start going crazy in the next day or so - until MS rolls out a fix

I can add that all of the drivers affected happened to be PCL 5, and I when I reinstalled I decided to go with PCL6 (for no specific reason), so at this point I can't say whether or not it's limited to PCL5 only, but I'll figure that out shortly.

BTW......I know this probably belongs in the connectivity forum, but I'm basically exclusively dealing with Ricoh devices, and I'm not sure if it affects all makes or not. PLUS, I know this forum is filled with a ton of IT gurus

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Windows Update Has blocked print cabability!

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Hey everyone.
    I had a call today from a client that was suddenly unable to print, but everyone else in the office (3-4 people) were working, but then another call, and then another. They were all in small offices that only had 2 or 3 people and the issue was only affecting 1 person in each office at the time, but that's going to change soon, because I figured that it must be a windows update that was causing the issue, and so I came home and installed all available updates on my own system, and once my PC restarted, I was unable to print to either of my Ricoh Devices!

It seems to be isolated it to Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 (KB4560960), because when I uninstalled it, the printing function was restored.

I'm about to do some more experimenting, but I thought that I'd post here as a head's up, and to hopefully have some input from some of the real IT guys (which I'm not) as to a possible easier solution to provide my customers other than reinstalling drivers as I expect my phone to start going crazy in the next day or so - until MS rolls out a fix

I can add that all of the drivers affected happened to be PCL 5, and I when I reinstalled I decided to go with PCL6 (for no specific reason), so at this point I can't say whether or not it's limited to PCL5 only, but I'll figure that out shortly.

BTW......I know this probably belongs in the connectivity forum, but I'm basically exclusively dealing with Ricoh devices, and I'm not sure if it affects all makes or not. PLUS, I know this forum is filled with a ton of IT gurus
    I believe there was another user with this issue.

Good Catch Brother!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I'm not sure but I have had LOTS of issues with PCL 5 drivers and windows 10 especially printing from MS Office application. Finishing issues and speed (performance) issues. One of the things I do upon install of all Ricoh devices is to log into WIM (Web Image Monitor) and disable the WSD function (can't remember exactly which tab), this prevents the printer from showing up to Windows on the network as a WSD device and and then windows hijacking your print queue and installing its own driver and port. It's really aggravating how aggressive Windows has become in trying to "manage" non Windows devices to the point that they no longer function. Scanning is another that drives me crazy but that's another conversation...

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by skinnyb View Post
    I'm not sure but I have had LOTS of issues with PCL 5 drivers and windows 10 especially printing from MS Office application. Finishing issues and speed (performance) issues. One of the things I do upon install of all Ricoh devices is to log into WIM (Web Image Monitor) and disable the WSD function (can't remember exactly which tab), this prevents the printer from showing up to Windows on the network as a WSD device and and then windows hijacking your print queue and installing its own driver and port. It's really aggravating how aggressive Windows has become in trying to "manage" non Windows devices to the point that they no longer function. Scanning is another that drives me crazy but that's another conversation...

most newer devices work better with PCL6.

PCL5 is older.. but sometimes it DOES fix print problems.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skinnyb View Post
    I've been disabling WSD for years. It's the first thing I do when I pick up a used box.

Update:
    I installed a PCL 6 driver as well as the universal PCl 6 driver , then I reinstalled the cumulative update, and determined that ONLY PCL 5 drivers are affected, and their is some strange behavior.
    When just trying to print a Windows test page, any/all other dialog boxes that are opened on the screen are closed, and the task bar icons disappear briefly.
    Check it out: https://1drv.ms/v/s!ApZHmO0NtfQGhZ5HyDsv2zSYAQp1BQ

I agree that I should probably be leaning more towards PCL6, and I generally have been recently, but I've got hundreds of users running PCL 5, and I often don't even bother updating drivers when they go from say an MP C3501 to a C3503, etc. Yeah, it's a shortcut, but I work alone, and time gets short, but I've never had an issue running an older PCL 5 or 6 driver on a newer box
    Regardless of all that, this behavior shouldn't happen out of the blue. This is MS breaking something isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    I've been disabling WSD for years. It's the first thing I do when I pick up a used box.

Update:
    I installed a PCL 6 driver as well as the universal PCl 6 driver , then I reinstalled the cumulative update, and determined that ONLY PCL 5 drivers are affected, and their is some strange behavior.
    When just trying to print a Windows test page, any/all other dialog boxes that are opened on the screen are closed, and the task bar icons disappear briefly.
    Check it out: https://1drv.ms/v/s!ApZHmO0NtfQGhZ5HyDsv2zSYAQp1BQ

I agree that I should probably be leaning more towards PCL6, and I generally have been recently, but I've got hundreds of users running PCL 5, and I often don't even bother updating drivers when they go from say an MP C3501 to a C3503, etc. Yeah, it's a shortcut, but I work alone, and time gets short, but I've never had an issue running an older PCL 5 or 6 driver on a newer box
    Regardless of all that, this behavior shouldn't happen out of the blue.

This is MS breaking something isn't it?
    Yes it is there is another thread pertaining to this.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Maybe Microsoft is trying to get us techs back to work with these conflicts..

after sitting off to the side for 3 months i say show me the money...

I had one account who owes me a lot of money from setting up 12 new pcs in feb
    call and ask for free tech support over the phone..
    i was conflicted and i would get back to them...

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    most newer devices work better with PCL6.

PCL5 is older.. but sometimes it DOES fix print problems.
    My experience has been that there is a diminishing number of older software that require PCL5.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Maybe Microsoft found some exploit involving something in the PCL 5 driver.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts UNICORNico's Avatar

In principle if it only affects "PCL 5" versions, it would make the change, and you're done.
    The problem is that if Microsoft, with another patch, "fixes" this bug, who says that the other drivers cannot be affected?
    I shouldn't, but there's a chance.

By the way, thank you for the detail of the WSD, I didn't know it, and I'm going to start putting it into practice with all the devices.
    "ALL WILL BE WELL" The battle cry that most inspires me to follow, from the DC's Comic character that I admire the most. And I feel satisfied with being better every day, and with using Gnu-Linux as my usual Operating System.Apologies for my English, it's not my mother tongue and I'm helping the translator.