Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Ricoh lube bar general question

Hi experts.
    I constantly read about lube bars in this subforum. I never seen one as Brother and KonMin also older Toshy don't have these. My understanding is that Ricoh supreme drum life is due this lube bar is giving drums less friction with cleaning blades and charge rollers thus drum coating wears slowly.
    I must admit that my theory isn't well based cuz I have zero Ricoh service manuals to read.
    Please enlighten me.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Re: Ricoh lube bar general question

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    My understanding is that Ricoh supreme drum life is due this lube bar is giving drums less friction with cleaning blades and charge rollers thus drum coating wears slowly.
    Yep. It rides directly on top of the brush, and if you let it wear to nothing drum failure follows shortly after.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

Before lube bars we would actually use auto polish like Nu-Finish to make the OPC last longer. It was important it was one of the synthetic ones, not actual wax. Worked surprisingly well.
    Last edited by zed255; 06-24-2020 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Damned auto correct!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts UNICORNico's Avatar

If I'm honest with you, I've been replacing the "lubricant bars" for a long time.
    Katun has some spare parts for this one, for some models.
    What I do is order a few, I remove them (this with a lot of difficulty and extreme delicacy) from the original support and with two-sided adhesive, I place it on the support of the worn "lubricant bar". Then it's just the typical thing, clean up and keep working.
    "ALL WILL BE WELL" The battle cry that most inspires me to follow, from the DC's Comic character that I admire the most. And I feel satisfied with being better every day, and with using Gnu-Linux as my usual Operating System.Apologies for my English, it's not my mother tongue and I'm helping the translator.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UNICORNico View Post
    I remove them (this with a lot of difficulty and extreme delicacy)
    Tried it once, didn't go well. Fell apart like a crumbling sandcastle.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Hi experts.
    I constantly read about lube bars in this subforum. I never seen one as Brother and KonMin also older Toshy don't have these. My understanding is that Ricoh supreme drum life is due this lube bar is giving drums less friction with cleaning blades and charge rollers thus drum coating wears slowly.
    I must admit that my theory isn't well based cuz I have zero Ricoh service manuals to read.
    Please enlighten me.
    The MP C2550/C2551 model lines did not have a lube bar. Recommended drum replacement was only 60K. At about 90K the OPC surface would actually be completely worn off by the cleaning blade.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts UNICORNico's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    Tried it once, didn't go well. Fell apart like a crumbling sandcastle.
    In honor of the truth, e to say that:
    - I have a bracket where I hold the metal part
    - A hair dryer that allows you to place yourself in the position that best suits me
    - When the set is "al dente" (like the Italian paste xD) I try to balance the bar, so that the adhesive takes off.
    - A thin and resistant wire, to shave if the adhesive resists.
    "ALL WILL BE WELL" The battle cry that most inspires me to follow, from the DC's Comic character that I admire the most. And I feel satisfied with being better every day, and with using Gnu-Linux as my usual Operating System.Apologies for my English, it's not my mother tongue and I'm helping the translator.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zed255 View Post
    Before lube bars we would actually use auto polish like Nu-Finish to make the OPC last longer. It was important it was one of the synthetic ones, not actual wax. Worked surprisingly well.
    Even with the Lube Bar, you still have to use the NuFinish Silicone Seal/Polish as the high voltage creates Ozone which in turn oxidizes the surface of the charge roller (not the rubber ones, but the hard ones!) thus making edge-to-edge lines on the printouts!!!
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The MP C2550/C2551 model lines did not have a lube bar. Recommended drum replacement was only 60K. At about 90K the OPC surface would actually be completely worn off by the cleaning blade.
    Slim, maybe you're thinking of another model?
    MP C2550/2551 DO have lube bars (little dinky ones). Those drums start that constant (super high-pitched) squeak when the lube bar is used up.

EDIT: They even made modified springs (stronger) for those lube bars as a "countermeasure" to the squeaking, but they only made them quiet for a short time longer.
    Omertà

Technician

A Ricoh production tech I learned to work on copiers from would take the lube bar springs and stretch them out just a little. Get 50% more life out of the bar. He never noticed any shortening of life from the drum with this either.