Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Gmail smtp email access question.

OK SO I went to set up smtp scanning on a mpc3503 and used my gmail account that i use just for this purpose..
    Since i usually do on my laptop all the inputs come up on auto fill and i only have to type the password on account.
    I did this w/out my laptop and had to double check port ie 25 or 465 or 587 .
    I kept getting transmission failed message on sending a test email scan..
    Sometimes it take a while to appear and others it comes right up..
    I finally get the y
    our Google Account was just signed in to from a new Windows device. You're getting this email to make sure it was you."
    AND i try again and it fails a few times. 100 to 99 back to 100 yes yes.......
    AFTER 20 MINUTES IT PASSES AND MAKES IT TO MY MAIN EMAIL when scanned to my email address.of course customer is looking at me like i am a rube but i try to explain this is google gmail..IS it normal to have this delay?any way around it?
    And 2nd customer decides they dont want my email address showing up when the scan to email so i configure machine
    with their gmail email and password even though i told them to create a new gmail just for scanning but they refused .
    I did the allow less secure apps and scan to email fails all the time....
    At this point i had to go...and will return..
    thanks

Re: Gmail smtp email access question.

I guess my other question is when you enter the smtp.gmail.com and email,password and desired port"25,465,587"and HIT TEST and it is successful
    IS that response always true?
    I have had mixed result configuring machines in my shop and tested to send only to fail when delivered to new account.....

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fshead View Post
    I guess my other question is when you enter the smtp.gmail.com and email,password and desired port"25,465,587"and HIT TEST and it is successful
    IS that response always true?
    I have had mixed result configuring machines in my shop and tested to send only to fail when delivered to new account.....
    Just messed with one the other day...the customers DNS changed on me. I'd double check that and yea i was going to say turn on "allow less secure apps".

That's why i always prefer scan to folder and i try telling the customer all the places the scan has to go before it arrives in their mail...scan to folder is much more secure and quick.

I've also had the customer telling me they don't want my email address...

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

OK SO I went to set up smtp scanning on a mpc3503 and used my gmail account that i use just for this purpose..
    Since i usually do on my laptop all the inputs come up on auto fill and i only have to type the password on account.
    I did this w/out my laptop and had to double check port ie 25 or 465 or 587 .
    I kept getting transmission failed message on sending a test email scan..
    Sometimes it take a while to appear and others it comes right up..
    I finally get the y
    our Google Account was just signed in to from a new Windows device. You're getting this email to make sure it was you."
    AND i try again and it fails a few times. 100 to 99 back to 100 yes yes.......
    AFTER 20 MINUTES IT PASSES AND MAKES IT TO MY MAIN EMAIL when scanned to my email address.of course customer is looking at me like i am a rube but i try to explain this is google gmail..IS it normal to have this delay?any way around it?
    And 2nd customer decides they dont want my email address showing up when the scan to email so i configure machine
    with their gmail email and password even though i told them to create a new gmail just for scanning but they refused .
    I did the allow less secure apps and scan to email fails all the time....
    At this point i had to go...and will return..
    thanks
    There is nothing you can do about the delay sending scans via gmail.

Explain to your customer this is FREE! Should they want instant use their own ISP!

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

www.copierfirmware.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    There is nothing you can do about the delay sending scans via gmail.

Explain to your customer this is FREE! Should they want instant use their own ISP!
    '
    I dont even get into this one as i gave them free delivery,free set up to one pc.now bocomes 5 pcs and then they want me to configure user codes,scan to email to her gmail account etc etc.................I was ready walk away as there was a language issue,non english,talking with face masks and i am partially deaf and then someone who thinks if there is a button on the OP PANEL it just mysteriously works nothing needed......
    oh and let me add they have one pc with admin control i cant remember the password but i am mysteriously suppose to pull it out of my ass.......
    somedays i hate my job..............

I don't like "allowing less secure apps", I always turn on 2-step verification, and create and create an "app password" in order to scan from the device. I actually just did one an hour ago.
    I don't know if this speeds up delivery, but I don't see typically see delays with Scanning via Gmail.
    I also always use port 465 and enable "use secure connection" if it doesn't do it automatically.
    You also don't want to use your own gmail account because it logs everything you send through it including attachments. I don't think the customer (or you) would like that

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    I don't like "allowing less secure apps", I always turn on 2-step verification, and create and create an "app password" in order to scan from the device. I actually just did one an hour ago.
    I don't know if this speeds up delivery, but I don't see typically see delays with Scanning via Gmail.
    I also always use port 465 and enable "use secure connection" if it doesn't do it automatically.
    You also don't want to use your own gmail account because it logs everything you send through it including attachments. I don't think the customer (or you) would like that
    hi sandy
    what is the difference between two step verification and less secure apps?
    And do you secure via gmail account or cell phone?
    My issue is some machines i configure wth gmail smtp email setting work without any issues and some a while later...
    CUSTOMERS forbids me to use my gmail account settings as they want their name and email on the email header when email scanning..
    PITA customer

hi sandy
    what is the difference between two step verification and less secure apps?
    And do you secure via gmail account or cell phone?
    My issue is some machines i configure wth gmail smtp email setting work without any issues and some a while later...
    CUSTOMERS forbids me to use my gmail account settings as they want their name and email on the email header when email scanning..
    PITA customer
    Hey Andy.
    We'll, I suppose it's almost the exact opposite.
    2 step is much more secure, and many programs are using it now.
    You basically set it up, so the account will send a text with a 6 digit PIN to the mobile phone on file with the account, when the account is accessed by an unknown device.
    After it's setup, I find the app password feature pretty handy, because if the customer has multiple devices, I can use the same one for all of them.
    Last edited by sandmanmac; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:16 AM.

IF using less secure apps then that option is not available?

I have to leave less secure apps on now as i have 30 accounts using it for their email scanning...
    I will try to log on a different gmail account and see.

IF using less secure apps then that option is not available?

I have to leave less secure apps on now as i have 30 accounts using it for their email scanning...
    I will try to log on a different gmail account and see.
    There in is one of the reasons for not using your own email account to authenticate with.