Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Ricoh MP 201 NVRAM Removal Procedure

Re: Ricoh MP 201 NVRAM Removal Procedure

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Oops...My bad. Sorry about that. I should have read your post more thoroughly.
    Although looking through my manual, that chip is supposed to be removable as well, but I don't believe it's absolutely necessary to swap it.
    Are you sure you've reconnected everything properly? SC901 is typically a mechanical counter error. Maybe that connector was missed?
    Are you sure the board was ok before it became a "parts machine"?

Ok about not having to remove the NVRAM unless you want to keep the counter accurate.
    Yes I'm sure about connecting everything properly, swapped the old one back in just to see if the SC547 came back and it did.
    I did a lot of research and the SC901 also means you have to input the serial number but i did not go that far yet. Not sure how to do that yet but i saw that it is done when you need to do this swap.

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    What have you done with the fusing unit? Bad Thermistor maybe?? Bad Hot Roller? something unplugged?
    Did you RESET the fuser error code SC547 by going into SP Mode and then turning the power off on the machine?? If you don't do this, the code will just stay there upon every reboot.

As far as the NVRAM, take a really small flat-head screw driver, and stick it between the NVRAM and it's seat, and pry up gently. Do that on both open sides of the NVRAM to get it out without bending the legs.

Yes, I did go into service mode and then power off and back on. Still the same SC547. Knew about this having to be dome but thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I am wondering how you decided that you needed to replace the NVRam in order to correct SC547 which is a zero cross fusing error?
    Thanks but I did swap with a know good fuser and still the same SC547, and I did go into service mode and then power off/on. Still remains.

I found that the SC547 is also either a bad power source or a bad power supply or a bad BICU.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by patterson70 View Post
    Thanks but I did swap with a know good fuser and still the same SC547, and I did go into service mode and then power off/on. Still remains.

I found that the SC547 is also either a bad power source or a bad power supply or a bad BICU.
    DId I say SC547 was a fusing unit error -- NO. I said it was a zero cross fusing error. Zero cross is detected in the PSU and utilized by the engine controller so that the triacs that drive the lamps are not trying to switch at the peak of the AC cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    DId I say SC547 was a fusing unit error -- NO. I said it was a zero cross fusing error. Zero cross is detected in the PSU and utilized by the engine controller so that the triacs that drive the lamps are not trying to switch at the peak of the AC cycle.
    Apologies, I saw it at some sites referred to as a zero cross electrical issue of some sort and never referencing the fuser.

Also I am replacing the BICU due to the SC547 due to trying everything else as suggested.
    But I need to swap the NVRAMS to keep the serial number and print count and that is where I am stuck.
    Now I am thinking the square "Ricoh" chip that says NV on it is NOT the NVRAM chip!
    I'll look again.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Apologies, I saw it at some sites referred to as a zero cross electrical issue of some sort and never referencing the fuser.

Also I am replacing the BICU due to the SC547 due to trying everything else as suggested.
    But I need to swap the NVRAMS to keep the serial number and print count and that is where I am stuck.
    Now I am thinking the square "Ricoh" chip that says NV on it is NOT the NVRAM chip!
    I'll look again.
    If you look at the the BICU replacement in Replacement and Adjustments section of of the service manual the NVRam is identified as call out letter[D]. It shoulld be socket mounted. Use a chip puller if you have one other slowly lift it up with a 1/8 inch or smaller flat blade. Be careful and do not try to lift entirely from one end as that has the possibility of breaking as a pin. The only time I have seen a bad NVRam was when a junior tech broke a pin. As a safety precaution backup the NVRam and print counter sheet before removing the NVRam.

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Easy to replace. It's Pretty standard chip as on most models, so there's no reason not to swap it over, and to the best of my knowledge it either has to be replaced with the original chip or a brand new one. I don't believe you can use a chip from another machine.
    Attachment 46073
    Could you verify which is the NVRAM Chip from the pictures I am attaching? The first is a close-up of the Ricoh Chip with NV, the second further away and the the third the replacement board's chip with PW written instead.

(It may be a coincidence that the Ricoh Chip has NV on it, it may be just a code. The replacement board's Ricoh chip has PW on it in the same place.)

BICU with NV on Ricoh Chip.JPGBICU with NV on Ricoh chip closer.JPGBICU with PW on RIcoh Chip.JPG

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Aficio mp 201, no power to display
    See the post #4 from this thread.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Could you verify which is the NVRAM Chip from the pictures I am attaching? The first is a close-up of the Ricoh Chip with NV, the second further away and the the third the replacement board's chip with PW written instead.

(It may be a coincidence that the Ricoh Chip has NV on it, it may be just a code. The replacement board's Ricoh chip has PW on it in the same place.)

BICU with NV on Ricoh Chip.JPGBICU with NV on Ricoh chip closer.JPGBICU with PW on RIcoh Chip.JPG
    The NV and PW are manufacturing batch codes. Each time who ever makes a production run of that controller chip for Ricoh they put a different code on it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

It looks to me that there is not a removable NVRAM chip on that BICU board.