Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MP C3501 parts and fuser question

We have an MP C3501 that currently has a little over 600k on it and has basically run flawlessly, but the fuser is starting to wear out as well as the drum units. 1) Is this fuser fairly easy to rebuild? I belive its the upper fuser roller, that is starting to show signs of wear especially where the thermisters are located. Are there kits available for rebuild?
    Next, the drum units, I understand that the black units can fit into the colors with mods and I believe I have the cheat sheet to do so. Is there a decent aftermarket alternative?
    Last, on developer change. I have changed developer on the 3500/4500 series years ago. Is changing developer basically the same on this series?

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Re: MP C3501 parts and fuser question

Hot rollers are easy to change, remove the side covers, pop off the bearings and remove the roller. Drums have larger lube bars so you can't use the black in the colours. The devs can be replaced via a bag or replace the unit.
    Last edited by TonerMunkeh; 07-02-2020 at 04:49 PM.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post
    We have an MP C3501 that currently has a little over 600k on it and has basically run flawlessly, but the fuser is starting to wear out as well as the drum units. 1) Is this fuser fairly easy to rebuild? I belive its the upper fuser roller, that is starting to show signs of wear especially where the thermisters are located. Are there kits available for rebuild?
    Next, the drum units, I understand that the black units can fit into the colors with mods and I believe I have the cheat sheet to do so. Is there a decent aftermarket alternative?
    Last, on developer change. I have changed developer on the 3500/4500 series years ago. Is changing developer basically the same on this series?
    The fusers are fairly easy to rebuild. However there are a few cheats, like you can fit the SPC fuser unit after a simple mod this works out a lot cheaper.

And yes you can mod the K to fit colour PCU.

However as this is such an old model I would look at replacing it with a later model.

*** Ignore this I was thinking of the MP C3502 ***

Last edited by copier tech; 07-02-2020 at 05:55 PM.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    The fusers are fairly easy to rebuild. However there are a few cheats, like you can fit the SPC fuser unit after a simple mod this works out a lot cheaper.

And yes you can mod the K to fit colour PCU.

However as this is such an old model I would look at replacing it with a later model.

I agree with you copiertech, but they are a church that has been dealing with a downturn in attendance, etc. with the Covid, so we may try to limp it along if possible, without costing a fortune to maintain.

SPC Fuser will not fit 3501.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davel View Post
    SPC Fuser will not fit 3501.
    Ok thanks. So rebuild is his only option.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Fuser is pretty easy to rebuild, and not very expensive if it's just the Hot Roller and maybe throw in some fresh bearings. These fusers are bulletproof for the most part.....Always running way above yield.

You cannot fit the Black drum (D0892250) into the color slots. It has a bigger lube bar, and the shape of the unit is too big to fit in the color slots.
    You Can however use a black D0292256 drum in the color slots (much cheaper than the D089 color drums). You have to swap a couple wires around, modify (snap off) the base plate pin towards the rear of machine where drum unit slides in, and the "male connector" on the back of the drum unit has to be filed down on the top left corner (when viewing from rear of drum unit) to fit into "female connector" on rear frame of machine. Make sure you get that male connector filed down enough, and don't try to force it into the machine, or else you can break the female connector, and then you're in for a world of hurt!
    Omertà

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FrohnB View Post
    You cannot fit the Black drum (D0892250) into the color slots. It has a bigger lube bar, and the shape of the unit is too big to fit in the color slots.
    You Can however use a black D0292256 drum in the color slots (much cheaper than the D089 color drums). You have to swap a couple wires around, modify (snap off) the base plate pin towards the rear of machine where drum unit slides in, and the "male connector" on the back of the drum unit has to be filed down on the top left corner (when viewing from rear of drum unit) to fit into "female connector" on rear frame of machine. Make sure you get that male connector filed down enough, and don't try to force it into the machine, or else you can break the female connector, and then you're in for a world of hurt!
    If you have the proper drum cheat sheet, all the modifications are illustrated. B2C_Drum_Cheat_Sheet_v2[1].pdf